how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nycityny
Premium
join:2005-08-09
New York, NY

[T-Mobile] What speed when no LTE available?

If one acquires an LTE-capable phone from T-Mobile but uses it in a market without LTE what speeds are achievable? 3G? 2G? 4G/HSPA+?

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

You can check here:

»maps.eng.t-mobile.com/pcc-retail-default.php

LTE is not on the map yet. if you zoom all the way in and click on a location, it will tell you what type of high speed data in that location. (3g or 4g) HSPA+ is 3g/4g.
Otherwise 2g.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

nycityny
Premium
New York, NY

My question is more about the capabilities of the phone. Can an LTE phone also pick up HSPA+? Or does the phone drop to 2G if LTE isn't available?

I ask because my current T-Mobile phone only does 4G or 2G. Whenever 4G isn't available it drops to 2G, bypassing 3G.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA

3g is shown as 4g on all t-mobile branded phones. It actually does but your phone won't tell you. The note 2 on tmo goes from 4g LTE to 4g to 2g. so don't expect it to change.

coma9

join:2013-02-05
United State
reply to nycityny

Check your settings in the Mobile networks section, make sure your set to LTE/4G/3G/Edge/2G. It should use those in that order, obviously the higher being preferred.

nycityny
Premium
New York, NY
reply to nycityny

Here are some ancillary questions. As T-Mobile migrates to LTE what happens to the quality of HSPA+? Can a single cell tower provide both LTE and HSPA+ service? Will HSPA+ reception degrade as LTE begins to dominate?

coma9

join:2013-02-05
United State

said by nycityny:

Here are some ancillary questions. As T-Mobile migrates to LTE what happens to the quality of HSPA+? Can a single cell tower provide both LTE and HSPA+ service? Will HSPA+ reception degrade as LTE begins to dominate?

I would think that HSPA+ just becomes another step when you're getting lower reception quality. If you can't hit LTE signal strength, it kicks down to HSPA+, and then 3G, Edge, 2G... I would also think that the same towers are broadcasting all of them. But I'm no expert, just my opinion.

broccoli

join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR
reply to nycityny

said by nycityny:

My question is more about the capabilities of the phone. Can an LTE phone also pick up HSPA+? Or does the phone drop to 2G if LTE isn't available?

Depends entirely on the phone. There is no requirement that an LTE device must support HSPA or GSM, but all LTE handsets that I have seen do support 'legacy' protocols.

I ask because my current T-Mobile phone only does 4G or 2G. Whenever 4G isn't available it drops to 2G, bypassing 3G.

Whatever 'G' you are seeing on the phone is mostly meaningless. T-Mobile's so-called 4G is built on top of their '3G' network. If your phone supports T-Mobile's '4G', it definitely can do 3G.
Expand your moderator at work

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to nycityny

Re: [T-Mobile] What speed when no LTE available?

said by nycityny:

HSPA+ should get better as more people move to LTE. The same towers will provide all the different modes and frequencies as they do now.
--

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
join:2005-04-11
Aurora, CO
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to djdanska

said by djdanska:

3g is shown as 4g on all t-mobile branded phones. It actually does but your phone won't tell you. The note 2 on tmo goes from 4g LTE to 4g to 2g. so don't expect it to change.

I think that you're right about that. However, my Samsung Galaxy S (sold to Verizon for $150) would constantly switch from 4G to 3G to Edge (2G I think) and sometimes even to grsm (augh!). Sometimes, downloads would just stall out completely. No, I wouldn't count on LTE from T-Mobile anytime soon. I don't think that T-Mobile can deliver what they promise now, "Most reliable 4G service".
--
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ~ Nikola Tesla

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA

If you flash it to well, just about any other rom, it gets back to default.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

reply to bobjohnson

said by bobjohnson:

said by nycityny:

HSPA+ should get better as more people move to LTE. The same towers will provide all the different modes and frequencies as they do now.

Depends.
The towers around me do provide a HSPA+ signal, but the speed maxes at 1Mbps. The tower is not fibre fed, connected by T1s.

The speed throttle at any of the towers isn't the HSPA+ vs LTE signal, its because of the connection to the tower, its too slow.

It is a shame that Tmobile aren't upgrading their slow Edge network to anything, instead of upgrading 3g to 4g to 5g, where the rest of their network is stuck at 1g or no g.