rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

[WIN7] cacls.exe unable to start...

"the Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close Application."

Fx would not open. Outlook was OK. So I did a restart but it froze partway through and I did a five second shutdown and had to tell it to start normally.

Heat problems? I bought a couple cans of air as it near time to clean the bunnies oof the computer.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

The immediate cause of your cacls problem is:

// MessageId: STATUS_DLL_INIT_FAILED
//
// MessageText:
//
// {DLL Initialization Failed}
// Initialization of the dynamic link library %hs failed. The process is terminating abnormally.
//
#define STATUS_DLL_INIT_FAILED ((NTSTATUS)0xC0000142L)

Unfortunately, we can't tell which DLL. Anything in the event logs? I'd check system and application logs.

FWIW, not that it fixes anything, but cacls has been superseded by icacls in Win7.

rfhar
Premium Member
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

I looked the event ;logs and all I could find is that I shut it down and booted it up again at 5:32. That said I am a novice at reading these logs.

I do not know how to find the system and application logs.

I have Win7-64.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

In the event viewer, expand 'windows logs' and then select either 'system' or 'application'.

Then you have to look at the entries one-by-one (in the approximate time range) to see if anything looks relevant to your problem.

rfhar
Premium Member
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

The popup window above happened at 3:54:35AM
I had an error at 12:31 from an ESET online scanner. I removed this program as I did not know that it was retained on the computer and I only wanted one scan.

At 12:32 SpybotS&D showed an error;
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files (x86)\spybot - search & destroy\DelZip179.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files (x86)\spybot - search & destroy\DelZip179.dll" on line 8. The value "*" of attribute "language" in element "assemblyIdentity" is invalid.

Could these have had an effect at 3:54?

At 2:15:11 Palemoon tried to update but could not so it shut down four seconds later. This was listed as information.

The description for Event ID 0 from source gupdate cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Might as well wait and see.

If any of those are the problem, it'll likely be the DelZip179 thing. The event-log message says it has a bad manifest, and the error popup says that some DLL failed during its initialization. These could be talking about the same thing.

Oh, hold on: check this out:

»forums.spybot.info/showt ··· ?t=61466

The verdict for the event-log message at least seems to be 'DLL corruption'.

rfhar
Premium Member
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

Thanks for the help, now to see what the Spybot S&D people will do. And I learned a bit about the event viewer too, thanks.
Tomorrow.
rfhar

1 edit

rfhar

Premium Member

I checked the log for the event this morning first thing and it happened last night also but did not freeze the computer and I notice that the Spybot S&D info is dated back in 2011 and still is happening even though I have the latest update to Spybot S&D so I am thinking that it was not the cause of my problem.

I am curious how many times this has happened in the past but have not been able to figure out how to search and get a list of the events past occurrences. I am thinking that it may be a nightly happening.

I will do my spring cleaning on this computer early next week and rid of any Easter dust bunnies hiding inside. We have lots of kids and grand-kids in and out this weekend and the wife has medical problems where the doctor has told her to stay off her feet today.

I will be back to here if I learn anything.

Thanks for your help.

edit...I found the proper way to search for this event and it is happening every night at the same time so it is surely not the problem that caused the freeze.