Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

[MBP w Retina, 13 vs. 15] Pro & Con, How to Choose

A simple yet confounding question. My last decision before purchase this weekend.

Which is best, 13" or 15", and why please?

(Price is only a small concern. Yet functionality, features, convenience and such are more important)

Links to articles especially welcome. Thank you!
--
Oh, I love the smell of fish. Guts, rotten, it's all good.

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX
For us "older folks", I went from the old white molded MB 13.3" to the 15" MBPr last year. While still needing reading glasses, it does make it easier to see the screen (and there wasn't a 13" MBPr at that time). My laptop in reality is a desktop 99.9% of the time. For comparison purposes, I originally had the new Mini with the 27" Apple display and found it to be too large for my taste.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to Ugly
This is more of an observation, but the retinas, or at least the 13 inch models with 8GB memory and 128 or 256GB SSDs, are currently priced less than comparable non-retinas, especially considering how much more the non-retinas would cost with the same RAM/HDD configurations.

The 15 inch retinas also weigh less than a non-retina 13 inch MBP.

'Course, you won't get an optical drive with a retina purchase.

I've looked at both sizes of retina. Personal budget notwithstanding, I have too much invested in Firewire enclosures, backpacks and messenger bags to consider a 15 incher. And even though the DVD drive doesn't get used all that much I feel I'd miss it if it weren't there.

Whichever you choose, remember that pre-sale will be your only opportunity for choice of memory and hard drive capacity; those options on retinas aren't upgradeable once they're shipped.

That, and be prepared to fork over more dough for adapters. There aren't ethernet nor Firewire ports. Likewise DVI. Which means buying at Apple prices to hook up any existing external hardware you may have.

It would be my suggestion to get Apple Care at some point in the first 9- days to a year of ownership.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

The Meadow
said by sfogliatelle:

This is more of an observation, but the retinas, or at least the 13 inch models with 8GB memory and 128 or 256GB SSDs, are currently priced less than comparable non-retinas, especially considering how much more the non-retinas would cost with the same RAM/HDD configurations.

I did not know that. Thank you.
said by sfogliatelle:

The 15 inch retinas also weigh less than a non-retina 13 inch MBP.

'Course, you won't get an optical drive with a retina purchase.

Weight is a small issue. And one can get the cute little firewire add-on, plug-in SuperDrive for $79.
said by sfogliatelle:

I've looked at both sizes of retina. Personal budget notwithstanding, I have too much invested in Firewire enclosures, backpacks and messenger bags to consider a 15 incher.

Yes, agree completely. And hence this question that started this thread
said by sfogliatelle:

And even though the DVD drive doesn't get used all that much I feel I'd miss it if it weren't there.

I'll get the add-on, plug-in SuperDrive for $79. Good point.
said by sfogliatelle:

Whichever you choose, remember that pre-sale will be your only opportunity for choice of memory and hard drive capacity; those options on retinas aren't upgradeable once they're shipped.

How true. I'll say that this was why I am asking this here today. Yessir.
said by sfogliatelle:

It would be my suggestion to get Apple Care at some point in the first 9- days to a year of ownership.

Yes. Agree again. I will certainly get the Apple Care. That's a no-brainer. Thank you sfogliatelle See Profile
--

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
reply to Ugly
You really found yourself not being able to make a decision between two inches of screen size?
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
Baton Rouge, LA

1 recommendation

reply to Ugly
Regarding Apple's Superdrive, my 2¢ is that you'd get a whole lot more bang for your buck with an alternate choice, like an LG or Pioneer external DVD writer from either Amazon or Newegg.

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
reply to Ugly
15 has a discrete video card vs the 13 which does not

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

The Meadow
reply to sfogliatelle
said by sfogliatelle:

Regarding Apple's Superdrive, my 2¢ is that you'd get a whole lot more bang for your buck with an alternate choice, like an LG or Pioneer external DVD writer from either Amazon or Newegg.

While I cannot question all that is likely true, what in particular is better on the aforementioned drives versus the SuperDrive please?
--

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Ugly
Apple can piss off with their $80 external DVD drive

Here is one on Amazon for $17.

»www.amazon.com/External-CD-RW-Co···rnal+dvd
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

The Meadow
said by Mike:

Apple can piss off with their $80 external DVD drive. Here is one on Amazon for $17.

»www.amazon.com/External-CD-RW-Co···rnal+dvd

Wow! ~ I cannot agree more. Thank you Mike!
--

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Yea. It's DVD-ROM and CD-RW. If you want DVD-RW, there is one for like $28.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Ugly
Typically, a brand-name competitive external DVD writer has specs about twice as fast (write speeds), across all formats, than does the Apple Superdrive.

But the laptops you're looking at have USB 3.0, while not only most on the market today (including Apple's SuperDrive) are still at USB 2.0

There *are* USB 3.0 writers out there. Here's the first one I looked at on Newegg, a Samsung, at just under $31: »www.newegg.com/External-CD-DVD-B···y/ID-420

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Ugly
I chose the 13" MBPr because it's also my "work" portable under my employer's new BYOD program. I use a larger monitor at my desk...my office is at home. Despite being one of those "older"...er, mature ...folks, I don't find the smaller screen to be a problem when traveling. In fact, it has similar screen real-estate to my previous work-issued Dell "brick" in many respects and the clarity is outstanding. 4.5 lbs is what made that decision for me, too.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

The Meadow
said by buckingham:

I chose the 13" MBPr because it's also my "work" portable under my employer's new BYOD program. ...

"BYOD" ~ What's that acronym mean please? Thanks!
--

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Bring Your Own Device

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

The Meadow
reply to sfogliatelle
I love Newegg. However, the reviews suggest the product is really a USB 2.0, not 3.0.

Furthermore, there are no Samsung ODDs listed here »www.samsung.com/us/computer/odd

I find this strange. Samsung is pretty good. I am thinking that Newegg is no longer a Nicegg.
--

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
said by Ugly:

I love Newegg. However, the reviews suggest the product is really a USB 2.0, not 3.0.

Some reviewers claim USB 2.0, others 3.0. Odd.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

The Meadow
said by Rojo:

Some reviewers claim USB 2.0, others 3.0. Odd.

I think the best clue is price.

All the USB 2.0 external drives are roughly $30 range.
However, the USB 3.0 drives are mostly over $100, with none under $50.

Apparently, USB 3.0 is still new enough that it remains expensive.
--