uniqs
share rss forum feed

dandeman
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-05
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

Motorola NVG510 DNS Timeouts, Any New Firmware Fixes?

Well when I got the $43.00 to $46.00 cost increase notice effective May on my old DSL 6MB service (which I presume will be turned down eventually) and, saw that I now have U-Verse HSI available, I decided to submit my order for the 6MB U-Verse Service and the Motorola NVG510 Gateway is being shipped to me.

Been reading about the DNS timeout problem on this unit and since most articles about the problem date back to at least April, 2012, I was wondering if any firmware fixes had been released since then for this unit..

I've always hardcoded the DNS addresses on my computers anyway, so from what I've read, this is a good fix for the NVS510 DNS timeouts.

Would like to hear any new info about this problem. Will post the firmware level being shipped once I get the unit scheduled to be delivered next Monday.

thanks in advance....
--
“To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful.” Edward R. Murrow

»home.4x4wire.com/deddleman/

fixed

@pacbell.net

hard code your dns turn off ipv6 in pc network adapter settings

dandeman
Premium,MVM
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to dandeman

Up and running.. excellent install experience.. NVG510 came with firmware level 9.0.6h2d21..

Tech came to the house and installed new NID, tested line made sure everything OK ..

6013 downstream, 766 upsteam kbps sync rate.
--
“To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful.” Edward R. Murrow

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by dandeman:

Up and running.. excellent install experience.. NVG510 came with firmware level 9.0.6h2d21..

The NVG510 that was installed in the apartment manager's office a couple of weeks ago also had firmware version 9.0.6h2d21

I setup their secondary router (which has their office network behind it) to use the AT&T AnyCast DNS servers 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1, and that router's WAN is also setup for only IPv4. I did the same thing for the wireless link I use to maintain their network (which I also use as a backup and diagnostic connection).

The guest WiFi users are setup to use the NVG510 as the WiFi AP and DNS forwarder, and AT&T's 6rd IPv6 implementation is enabled. I have not heard any complaints about DNS problems from those users. However, any complaints would be made to the apartment manager and relayed to me, so perhaps I am just happily in the dark. When the outdoor pool season starts, and all the sunbathers start using their cell phones and tablets on the WiFi connection, that is when I will know if there is still a DNS relay problem in the current NVG510 firmware.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

jhorak101

join:2010-05-02
Belton, TX
reply to dandeman

I switched from DSL to Uverse and am having major up and down problems with this motorola nvg510 the AT&T tech told me this modem has issues and at&t know about it

dandeman
Premium,MVM
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

Logs and statistics from the modem would be helpful to determine what ballpark your problems are in.....

While I was concerned before the install based on what I had read about the nvg510, it is running flawlessly...

more hard info please....
--

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to jhorak101

said by jhorak101:

I switched from DSL to Uverse and am having major up and down problems with this motorola nvg510 the AT&T tech told me this modem has issues and at&t know about it

I went several months using ipv6 and IP passthrough with 0 problems with the NVG510, then all of a sudden I kept getting disconnects and IP passthrough would not work.
I had firmware 9.0.6h0d48. In June the techs even sent me a new NVG510 modem and it still did not work.
Basically something was wrong with their network/modem setup or the modem itself.

Eventually I just gave up on the NVG510 as it was garbage.
I bought a 2210-02-1 off ebay for $15 and have not had a problem since.
I now have two NVG510 paper weights.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

jhorak101

Belton, TX
reply to dandeman

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a different DSL (AT&T UVerse) Modem ? or do I have to use the one that AT&T provides me ?

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

You have no choice but to use an "ATT" branded modem due to a security certificate they put on the phone.
But you can buy anyone's used modem off ebay or from a friend or wherever.

I bought an ATT 2210-02-1 off ebay for $15.
Just make sure it is an ATT uverse modem before buying.
You just need to buy one that is an equivalent of the one you got from them.
I am sure there are different modems if you on are DSL2+, VDSL, or Fiber so you need to make sure you get the one that works for your connection.
--

jhorak101

Belton, TX

I think I am going to switch to Time Warner Road Runner or DSL Extreme.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX

If you get DSL from a 3rd party the ATT modem wont work even if it is DSL2+ spec.
If going through DSL extreme you should be able to buy any brand of modem that meets their DSL specs.
--

jhorak101

Belton, TX

Who sells DSL modems ? Tiger Direct ?

jhorak101

Belton, TX
reply to r81984

Who sells DSL modems ?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to jhorak101

said by jhorak101:

Who sells DSL modems ? Tiger Direct ?

Yes, TigerDirect sells DSL modems and DSL gateways/routers, and so does Amazon, and even Staples and Walmart.

However, if you are talking about a DSL gateway/router that will be compatible with AT&T's IPDSL service, you will likely either have to buy directly from AT&T, or from an unofficial channel such as Craigslist or eBay. That is because AT&T uses a security certificate that is installed on the modem, and only AT&T's modems will have that security certificate; and also because most ADSL2(+) modems are designed for traditional ATM circuits, not AT&T's IPDSL circuits. And any modem purchase from an unofficial channel is a crap shoot as to whether what you order is really an AT&T IPDSL compatible modem, and/or if AT&T will allow its use once you get it (even if it is an accepted model, its firmware and/or certificate may be out of date).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
reply to jhorak101

Buy used off ebay or craigslist.
Many sites sell dsl modems just search.
Frys electronics sells dsl modems in their store.
--

jhorak101

Belton, TX
reply to dandeman

Well hopefully my AT&T IP DSL problem is fixed the tech provided me with a Motorola DSL Modem Only a (model 2210) and I am using a linksys Cisco WRT54GS2 router, the Motorola NVG510 is no longer in use and it has been over 24 hours without a drop in connection.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by jhorak101:

Well hopefully my AT&T IP DSL problem is fixed the tech provided me with a Motorola DSL Modem Only a (model 2210) and I am using a linksys Cisco WRT54GS2 router, the Motorola NVG510 is no longer in use and it has been over 24 hours without a drop in connection.

The Motorola/Netopia 2210 series "modems" are also modem/router gateways (they just don't have a built-in wireless radio). It can be put into bridge mode, and perhaps that is how yours is configured, but it is not natively a plain bridge DSL modem.
--

Uverse Tech

@sbcglobal.net
reply to jhorak101

It will work fine for awhile..but we they dont interact each other well.

Uverse Tech

@sbcglobal.net
reply to NetFixer

Motorola 2210 is NOT a router..

Uverse Tech

@sbcglobal.net
reply to jhorak101

nvg510 doesnt have a bridge mode funtion. we place 2210 modem before your router, when bridgemode is needed

Uverse Tech

@sbcglobal.net
reply to NetFixer

when we offered residential cx motorola 2210 modem until last year, we used to give them cisco wireless router with them. Cuz, it is NOT a router

Expand your moderator at work

Uverse Tech

@sbcglobal.net
reply to NetFixer

Re: Motorola NVG510 DNS Timeouts, Any New Firmware Fixes?

Motorola 2210 is a modem, it doesnt have a routing fuction

Uverse Tech

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Uverse Tech

If your NVG510 is not loading pages with green broadband, and service lights on,try different DNS server by manually putting numbers in your PC.

Uverse Tech

@sbcglobal.net
reply to NetFixer

We stop using 2210 modems for business , and res. NVG510 is the only one that we are using for ipdslam. We always knew DNS server issues since afew yrs back.. I will post other DNS server addresses that we manually put in cx's PC for dns server issues on Monday, or Tuesday

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by Uverse Tech :

We stop using 2210 modems for business , and res. NVG510 is the only one that we are using for ipdslam. We always knew DNS server issues since afew yrs back.. I will post other DNS server addresses that we manually put in cx's PC for dns server issues on Monday, or Tuesday

What? No "Motorola 2210 is NOT a router" mantra in this post?

As for the DNS server addresses, the trick is to not use the NVG510 as a DNS relay server; that is more of a problem than the DHCP supplied DNS servers that AT&T sends to the router.

The default 6rd DNS servers (99.99.99.53 and 99.99.99.153) seem to work OK here. However, I personally prefer the classic AT&T AnyCast servers 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1; and those are what I have put into the business office router, and my own router that connect to the NVG510 (as shown below).

--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to Uverse Tech

Reply was removed because it was an "accidental" double post due to a "system" problem.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to Uverse Tech

said by Uverse Tech :

Motorola 2210 is a modem, it doesnt have a routing fuction

One more time: The Motorola 2210 is absolutely a router. And again, here is the link to the AT&T training site that you really need to visit: »att-training.net/simulator/index.htm

If you are so firmly convinced that the Motorola 2210 is just a simple bridge modem with no router capability, how about telling us the actual model number for that alleged Motorola 2210? Just saying Motorola 2210 is not sufficient since that is only part of the actual model number. Motorola manufactured many 2210 boxes, and each had a specific model number; such as 2210-02-1006, 2210-02-10NA, 2210-02-1ATT...
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to Uverse Tech

said by Uverse Tech :

Motorola 2210 is NOT a router..

Here is a link to AT&T's own training site where anyone can easily see that the Motorola 2210 is quite obviously a DSL router: »att-training.net/simulator/index.htm

The U-verse version of the Motorola 2210 is not shown on that site, but the only difference is that the U-verse version has an IPDSL modem section instead of an ATM modem section.
--

Expand your moderator at work