dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Korpers
join:2012-12-07

Korpers

Re: Computer wont boot intermittently

Ok, so I've updated the graphics card river. And still the same issue.

But it must be something more serious than this. It doesn't even get to the BIOS - so no drivers are even running.

It either just is a black screen, or a black screen with a flashing cursor.

New battery in BIOS btw.

new motherboard required maybe? Can RAM do this?

Please help - it took 45 mins to get it back on just to reply to this thread.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

It does like like a video driver issue, but can't help noticing the reference to directx files too.

1. Have you looked at the directx console:
run|dxdiag|rightclick|run as administrator|enter admin password
logs there mention anything?
2. Has directX 10 been updated at Microsoft or version 11 installed and updated from Microsoft as these are not part of the standard updates?
3. Have you swapped motherboard slots for the graphics card, reset cmos, changed power leads to the card. Tried running with out ram to see if the beeps for memory missing work or stripping all hard ware and seeing if adding 1 creates the error on powerup, DVD drive etc?
bevills1
join:2006-05-29

bevills1 to Korpers

to Korpers
Has the memory been tested? Once I had similar problems on WinXP system and even replaced the hard drive only to have the problem persist. I tested the memory using memtest86 (a free download) and found a bad memory stick. Memory stick was replaced for about $10, and there've been no problems since. It's easy to test memory and costs much less to replace than the motherboard if bad memory is the cause.