join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

lutful to markPerez

Premium Member

to markPerez

Re: battery

said by markPerez :

I have check everything that I can think of. The guy I bought it from said it was a dimmer switch in the steering column????

Mark, you are getting bizarre advice from clueless people when it is obvious that the car is telling you that some door is ajar or open.

Even if you think it is closed, maybe the door gasket is a bit warped and the door-open switch is not closing. Open that door and see if there is a lamp which comes on. If the car thinks that door is not closing properly that lamp will stay ON even when you think the door is closed ... which WILL drain the battery.

I hope it is crystal clear what you need to check before messing with the battery cables. You make one mistake and either cable or tool touches the other terminal and you have kilowatts "draining" explosively from the battery totally destroying it and possibly hurting you. All because you did not bother to listen to what the car is telling you.

*** Google shows many people having same problem. Spraying WD-40 on door latches solved some of those problems. Some others had a faulty switch or relay.

mark perez
@scansafe.net

mark perez

Anon

Thank you I will try that and get back with you
mark perez

mark perez to lutful

Anon

to lutful
mark perez

mark perez to lutful

Anon

to lutful

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to lutful

to lutful
said by lutful:

said by markPerez :

I have check everything that I can think of. The guy I bought it from said it was a dimmer switch in the steering column????

Mark, you are getting bizarre advice from clueless people when it is obvious that the car is telling you that some door is ajar or open.

Even if you think it is closed, maybe the door gasket is a bit warped and the door-open switch is not closing. Open that door and see if there is a lamp which comes on. If the car thinks that door is not closing properly that lamp will stay ON even when you think the door is closed ... which WILL drain the battery.

I hope it is crystal clear what you need to check before messing with the battery cables. You make one mistake and either cable or tool touches the other terminal and you have kilowatts "draining" explosively from the battery totally destroying it and possibly hurting you. All because you did not bother to listen to what the car is telling you.

*** Google shows many people having same problem. Spraying WD-40 on door latches solved some of those problems. Some others had a faulty switch or relay.

I can't remember if on the Taurus if the trunk is also attached to the door ajar light. If so it could not be shutting all the way or bad switch keeping the light in the trunk on. If there is one in there.