uniqs
share rss forum feed

andertrack

join:2013-03-22

3 edits

Why did they cut FIOS cables?

Cut cable at pole

end of cut cable
We switched from FIOS to Optimum about four months ago. After waiting four months for them to update the guide on our SA DVR we went back to FIOS yesterday.

Only problem was that when the FIOS installer came he saw that the Optimum tech had cut the FIOS fiber optic cable at our home and on the pole.

The FIOS tech said there was no reason for them to do this and he has had other customers have the same issue. The end result is that they had to run a new cable and be there 3 more hours longer than they needed to be.

Is this their policy?

Edit: added two more pictures that show a second location they cut the FIOS fiber optic line. This is at the pole before if goes underground to the house

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

Since there is no technical reason why, one could only assume it is plain stupidity, spite or harassment. Cablevision has zero business touching a competitors lines and likewise for Verizon. If I had work done and either carrier touched the others lines, I would call up the other carrier and have them deal with it especially since I have Verizon copper, FiOS and Cablevision coax coming in to this house. Such behavior just raises costs for everybody.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

coma9

join:2013-02-05
United State
reply to andertrack

Strictly to be a pain in the ass. No actual reason to do that besides being unprofessional.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to andertrack

sounds like its done in spite to me

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to andertrack

Do fios techs carrier fiber splicers? or are they too expensive for the regular techs to have.

jake359

@myvzw.com
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Verizon prob cut is own wire...to make cablevision look bad. Verizon screws with cable more than you think. They also have lazy workers and people who are not trained to use the product. Fios cant even train its own works because they don't have fios at the yard, they learn things from t he customers or If they have it at their housr.

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
reply to andertrack

said by andertrack:

Only problem was that when the FIOS installer came he saw that the Optimum tech had cut the FIOS fiber optic cable at our home and on the pole.
[...]
Is this their policy?

Most definitely not, this is outright illegal. Double-so if it was cut off at the pole - I don't really accept "incompetence" as a possible explanation here. VZ is likely to file a PSC complaint every time this is encountered.

CV will (by policy) only disco and re-use the existing coax house wiring that is hooked up to the FIOS ONT - that coax is property of the customer. Likewise, VZ will use existing in-house coax if present, even if it was installed by CV (and that's almost a 100% given).

FIOS uses MOCA for in-house communication over that coax, and the router they give you is the arbiter of all things MOCA - if it's down, multiroom-DVR doesn't work, etc.

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter
reply to andertrack

Yup, typical to destroy your competitors infrastructure on your property to make switching back a pain to you and a monetary loss to the company reinstalling a new drop. Anyone who does this needs some meds to control his rage(especially since he cut both ends).

With phone line copper and a user going to voip via cable, the cableco will sometimes cut back the copper and or twists all the wires together(trying make a short circuit if the phone line is still tied into the neighborhood box) to make it hard to switch back. That is providing that he is not using the inhouse phone lines for VOIP service outlets.
Sometimes the phone line will still be in use(son/daughter/renter/business line) and then all hell breaks loose. But yet again the homeowner is sometimes clueless to the vandalism.

[rant] If you have evidence of who cut the lines, call the cops/fios company for charges. But since the line on the street side of the demarc is the Fios companies property, no one will care about vandalism that has damaged the utilities to your home. [/end rant]

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to jake359

I highly doubt they would cut a Fiber cable. They're not exactly the cheapest thing out there to be replacing, nor the easiest thing out there to be replacing. Around here they just shut off the light to the fiber when they come to disconnect service if they REALLY have to. Most of the time you're just left with an unprovisioned ONT.

Likely it was an accident while installing the Cablevision line, but it could also be out of spite too. You have to give someone the benefit of the doubt. Around here though, Verizon's lines and Time Warner's lines get cut constantly due to accidents.

bobmay

join:2001-08-08
Trenton, NJ
reply to andertrack

I swiched from Fios not to long ago and the tech cut the coax coming from the ONT.

coma9

join:2013-02-05
United State

1 recommendation

reply to jake359

said by jake359 :

Verizon prob cut is own wire...to make cablevision look bad. Verizon screws with cable more than you think. They also have lazy workers and people who are not trained to use the product. Fios cant even train its own works because they don't have fios at the yard, they learn things from t he customers or If they have it at their housr.

So out of curiosity, who trained you, how to spell? Or type for that matter.
Verizon wouldn't cut its own cables, considering a few things. They would have to send a tech to customers that disconnect, so there goes at least a hundred bucks a truck roll. Two, they'd be paying to hook that person back up if they switched back to FiOS, so there's at least 3 hours worth of un-needed work.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
reply to andertrack

Must be a bit irate and worried that Verizon is taking away their TV customers, meanwhile, the cable co was in the phone business for years before FiOS existed.

Unacceptable.

MrFreeze

@spcsdns.net
reply to coma9

Both companies cut wires left and right but I have seen verizon cut a shiet load of cable drops all over even main distribution cables lol. Good luck with your install.

lolno

@optonline.net

Judging by the total mess in your pic, it's more likely that your landscaper cut the cables.

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY
reply to andertrack

From the pics I think the person who cut it thought it was the coax going to the ont.

Remember cablevision has 3rd parties doing a majority of the installs. most of the 3rd party techs have NO IDEA what they are doing. probably do not even know what a fiber cable looks like. in that pic if it kinda looks like a coax cable.

I had a 3rd party install use a satellite splitter as a regular splitter.

andertrack

3 edits
reply to andertrack

I will post some more pictures later. We have a long driveway and they also cut the wire coming down from a telephone wire into the ground on our property.

Edit: added pictures. I am sure the Verizon installer will pass this info on to the higher ups and they will fine Optimum. In any case we are definitely never going back to OOL, even if we have to pay more after the one year rate lock (we went with month to month plan for FIOS)

lolno

@optonline.net

Pretty sure there won't be any sort of fine. No one can prove anything. If your install was done four months ago, one would think that you would have noticed the cuts since they are very obvious. Also considering the fact that Verizon uses pre-connectorized drops it takes little to no effort for them to hook you up. There is absolutely no splicing involved.

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island
reply to jake359

said by jake359 :

Yeah thats what they did...

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
reply to andertrack

There is the slight possibility that one or both of those ends were cut with a weed trimmer. It seems they were cut at exactly ground level. Those fiber lines should have a guard around them entering/exiting the ground.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to andertrack

You noticed cut cables.

Four months prior to noticing the cables were cut CV installed service.

While you may conclude CV cut the cables, I don't think that would be enough for any regulatory or other body to conclude it was CV that did it.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

andertrack

Yeah, I don't really expect anything to happen at this point (and don't really care if Optimum gets fined or not)

To address the previous question, we do all our own landscaping and have not done any in the last 4 months. Also all of this happened after Sandy (we live in NJ)

I just brought this up to make people aware that if they switch from FIOS to Optimum they have to make sure that Optimum does not cut their FIOS cables (trust me you will want to switch back to FIOS)

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to andertrack

One thing I did not see asked. Was the FiOS cable originally using the conduit that the OOL cable is now using?

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY
reply to andertrack

Like I said I think it was mistaken for coax cable. I don't think it was intentionally cut.

milan22

join:2008-12-17
Newark, NJ
reply to andertrack

3 more hours longer to run 1 line....

Worst FIOS installer EVER !!!

andertrack

reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

One thing I did not see asked. Was the FiOS cable originally using the conduit that the OOL cable is now using?

No, the FIOS fiber optic cable is a completely separate cable that goes directly into their big white box.

Our driveway is like 500 yards so that's why running a new cable took so long

If it was only cut where it comes into the house (first picture) I could maybe accept that it was a mistake, but the fact that it was cut at the pole (where the cable is completely separate from the coax cable run) is what made me/the FIOS installer suspicious.

milan22

join:2008-12-17
Newark, NJ
reply to andertrack

Yeah, FIOS cut those cables btw.

Vz hater

@optonline.net

Break 2 fix one

PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to andertrack

said by andertrack:

The FIOS tech said there was no reason for them to do this and he has had other customers have the same issue. The end result is that they had to run a new cable and be there 3 more hours longer than they needed to be.

Like Mad Magazine's [Spy vs. Spy], I wonder if both sides do it to each other....

Stupid, because it screws both companies equally in the end, and raises expenses for both.

Someone once said (possibly Gandhi): "An Eye for an Eye Will Make the Whole World Blind"

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

said by PX Eliezer:

said by andertrack:

Like Mad Magazine's [Spy vs. Spy], I wonder if both sides do it to each other....

Stupid, because it screws both companies equally in the end, and raises expenses for both.

Someone once said (possibly Gandhi): "An Eye for an Eye Will Make the Whole World Blind"

In the end FiOS takes a bigger hit because it is running Fiber to the house while Cablevision runs Coax.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

cable tv tec

@optonline.net
reply to coma9

said by coma9:

said by jake359 :

So out of curiosity, who trained you, how to spell? Or type for that matter.
Verizon wouldn't cut its own cables, considering a few things. They would have to send a tech to customers that disconnect, so there goes at least a hundred bucks a truck roll. Two, they'd be paying to hook that person back up if they switched back to FiOS, so there's at least 3 hours worth of un-needed work.

I have been to homes where Verizon said I cut their wiring. I went back to the home and the wires were cut however I did not do it. This happens more than you would think. Why would they do it? I have no idea. I also know that a cable tech does not care enough to take any extra time to cut lines of another provider. Many times I have been to calls where my coworkers haven't even spent the time to do what they should be doing, they usually aren't going to waste time doing extra stuff for no reason at all.

On the other hand maybe the cable installer had no idea what they were doing and accidentally cut the fiber. This however sounds very "far fetched" to me. Especially when the line is cut in multiple locations.