Search similar:

uniqs
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to cable tv tec

to cable tv tec

Re: Why did they cut FIOS cables?

It's possible that some techs (from any company) see their lines that need to be replaced due to quality/age issues, and blame the other provider when they do the cut. The only disconnecting that should be done is at the demarc point when the wiring can be used across multiple providers (at different times), such as in-home RJ-11 wiring.

Just additional speculation as to a reason.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to andertrack

Premium Member

to andertrack
Perhaps creating additional work for brother union members?

jake359
@myvzw.com

jake359 to frdrizzt

Anon

to frdrizzt
Fios workers are lazy. They leave old drops up, litter, don't hang New drops high. They treat their own equipment like crap. I could see them cutting the wire, any time they can make cv look bad they will. Maybe they should try to fix the billing over at fios.
LaST TIME I CheckED This IS NOT A SpeELING FORUM !

New cutter
@optonline.net

New cutter to jaa

Anon

to jaa
The guy who cut at the pole needs some new cutters. Look at that cut
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to andertrack

to andertrack
Didn't Verizon have union problems with all sorts of protests and striking going on? Is it possible the Verizon tech did cut the line?

I remember them striking in front of my local Verizon office only a couple of months ago.
pittpete1
join:2009-06-12

2 recommendations

pittpete1 to jake359

to jake359
said by jake359 :

Verizon prob cut is own wire...to make cablevision look bad. Verizon screws with cable more than you think. They also have lazy workers and people who are not trained to use the product. Fios cant even train its own works because they don't have fios at the yard, they learn things from t he customers or If they have it at their housr.

You are a moron
majortom1029
Medford, NY

majortom1029

This was in 2011 but it does show it could have been a union Verizon tech that cut it.

»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 11-08-16

"Verizon has accused striking employees of vandalizing its property, and sparking outages for its FiOS TV, Internet and telephone services by cutting sections of its fiber infrastructure."

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to majortom1029

to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

Do fios techs carrier fiber splicers? or are they too expensive for the regular techs to have.

too expensive, they just run a new premade jumper

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to n2jtx

to n2jtx
We have a similar problem with Charter, Comcast, and EPB in our market. Even when a 66 block is clearly marked as our block both Comcast and EPB will cut your AMP cable going to your equipment and use the 66 block as their own block.
jophan
Premium Member
join:2009-07-12
Jenkintown, PA

jophan to majortom1029

Premium Member

to majortom1029
Most likely, the tech would place a new drop rather than splice it in two places.
Expand your moderator at work

Uhmnope
@optonline.net

Uhmnope to gar187er

Anon

to gar187er

It's not because of the expense of a splicer, and you can buy splicers pretty cheap. Not the best ones, but still. You can't just splice fiber like you can splice copper or coaxial cable. There needs to be slack and an enclosure. The drops that Verizon and everyone else who does FTTP/H are not meant to be spliced.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to jake359

to jake359
quote:
Fios workers are lazy. They leave old drops up, litter, don't hang New drops high. They treat their own equipment like crap. I could see them cutting the wire, any time they can make cv look bad they will. Maybe they should try to fix the billing over at fios.
FiOS workers are lazy, huh? . Last I heard, cable contractors get paid by the job and FiOS workers get paid hourly. Guess what that equates to regarding QUALITY? The countless times I have seen the cable company drape coax across the front of someones house in order to save time. You are off your rocker; friend.
majortom1029
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to Uhmnope

to Uhmnope
said by Uhmnope :

It's not because of the expense of a splicer, and you can buy splicers pretty cheap. Not the best ones, but still. You can't just splice fiber like you can splice copper or coaxial cable. There needs to be slack and an enclosure. The drops that Verizon and everyone else who does FTTP/H are not meant to be spliced.

I was just asking. Back in 2005 before I got my current job I was in a job where we were being setup asa beta test for optimum lightpaths metroethernet. He was splicing the fiber end to the cable coming into the building and I asked him about the splicing machine. he stated the ones cablevision uses where 80k each and at the time Verizon was using ones that were 30k each.

Uhmnope
@optonline.net

Uhmnope

Anon

Hahaha, whoever was telling you $80k for a splicer must have been high. They range from about $1000 to $10000 max.
coma9
join:2013-02-05
United State

1 recommendation

coma9 to jake359

to jake359
said by jake359 :

If you're going to try and talk like a big boy, try to look like it too. Type like a 13 year old teenage girl, and your comments will be disregarded like one. Makes sense, right?

fiber guy
@cogentco.com

fiber guy to Uhmnope

Anon

to Uhmnope
no way your getting a 1/2 db loss on a $1000.0 machine. the ones we use at work range from $30,000---- 50,000.00 and give about a .3 db loss per splice

StreetSpirit
This spot reserved for Xenu.
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Roslyn, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

StreetSpirit to jake359

Premium Member

to jake359
said by jake359 :

You seem to be viewing the world through Cablevision colored glasses. I've had the service for nearly 1.5 decades, and moved numerous times in the process. I've NEVER had a Cablevision contractor "tech" clean up after himself, or not rush to cut corners and somehow jeopardize my service. A few guys were exemplary, notably Wilt's crew and local area supervisors. The rest rushed and left sizable messes for clean-up. A few times I spotted such blatant installation errors that they had to send another "tech" (and sometimes several) back out to correct the situation. I have no problems tipping, and tipping well, but I refuse to reward incompetence, of which there is quite a lot. Especially the flunkies driving their own unmarked vans in Brooklyn.

It's obvious you dislike Verizon, however, every company has it's "winners" on the payroll, especially in areas where contractors are used and the only requirement is ownership of a van. Brain optional, in other words. Don't get me wrong, Comcast, RCN, Verizon, Time Warner and other companies selling data services are not exempt from ineptitude, however, paying per installation raises the possibility of corner cutting considerably. It also creates a situation of the installer being aggravated and dismissive at being asked a question or two which is of importance to the customer. I've seen it enough times to know what I'm talking about.

Just my two cents...
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31

"I've seen it enough times to know what I'm talking about."

Remembering your CV trials and tribulations a few years ago, you do indeed.

StreetSpirit
This spot reserved for Xenu.
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Roslyn, NY

StreetSpirit

Premium Member

Hi Rojo31 See Profile

Heh, indeed. To the spiffy speller who is bemoaning Verizon's billing: ask me for an exemplar of an apology letter, which Wilt had kindly sent my at the time almost 90 year old grand-dad after an installer took off with his cable box and left him having to foot the $300+ dollar bill. I can't tell you how many hourso f phone tag I had to play before a kind soul here on BBR suggested I contact Wilt. Again, no thanks to the front line billing phone support. Every company has it's "winners", and it is unfair to single Verizon out for derogatory statements. I apologize in advance, however it demonstrates a certain level of immaturity and lack of life experience, especially when backed up by "iRrEfuTaBlE pRooF. There are bad apples and corner-cutters working for every company, be it in a technical capacity or otherwise. Yes, even WoW.

Cheers!

jake359
@optonline.net

jake359

Anon

Verizon. is A pos company....their workers are lazy and know nothing about fios. The company does not even know how to fix it billing nightmare, more like they dont want to snice they make millions on incorrect fees all at the end users expense.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

I've had FiOS for over 2 years and never once had a billing error.

ioioioio
@optonline.net

ioioioio to andertrack

Anon

to andertrack
They ran a new underground when they ran it they probably hit it on accident. If that was the case then verizon need to call the company that does the markout and they can put a claim in with them just like cablevision does all the time when anyone cuts there cables it's not out of spite it was accident

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926 to jake359

to jake359
You have it all figured out :rolleyes:
Expand your moderator at work
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Rojo31 to jake359

to jake359

said by jake359 :

"...more like they don't want to since they make millions on incorrect fees all at the end users expense."

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

Or Verizon charging its wireless customers a 1.99 data charge even when the phone line has data blocked

Money grab in the hopes it wasn't noticed

I had to call many times to have this charge removed for my moms non smart phone with data blocked

KeepCalling
@verizon.net

KeepCalling

Anon

exactly. Like Cablevision moving GSN ( game show network ) to the Sports pack basically screwing seniors.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to andertrack

Premium Member

to andertrack
Not sure what you are all arguing about. The workers at each company are essentially the same, as are the two companies. Neither better nor worse than the other.

Tradewind
Premium Member
join:2005-11-08
Marlboro, NJ

1 recommendation

Tradewind

Premium Member

I confess, I cut the OP cables. Now let's move on.