Search similar:

uniqs

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve

Comodo spamming for SSL certs

I know that Comodo has a mixed reputation in this forum, and I'd like to add to the mix.

Short answer: they appear to be scanning for HTTPS servers, snarfing down the SSL cert info, and contacting customers who certs are nearing expiry in an attempt to get the SSL cert business.

A customer got one of these, and I was able to head it off at the pass, and wrote up a blog post about it. »blog.unixwiz.net/2013/03 ··· biz.html

Anybody else gotten one of these calls?
art22gg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC

1 recommendation

art22gg

Premium Member

Definetely haven,t had any of these calls Steve,but it just re-affirms for me why I would never,ever have anything to do with Comodo and there very questionable business ethic practises....Can,t wait for Melih to deny,deny...blah,blah

K McAleavey
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Voorheesville, NY

K McAleavey to Steve

Premium Member

to Steve
Click for full size
Apple uses Comodo certs?
Thanks for that link! This comes as a huge surprise:
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
said by art22gg:

Definetely haven,t had any of these calls Steve,but it just re-affirms for me why I would never,ever have anything to do with Comodo and there very questionable business ethic practises....

I agree, but I wish that I could find another pure firewall (free or paid) that was half as good....
evoxllx
join:2007-06-07
Winter Park, FL

evoxllx to Steve

to Steve
said by Steve:

I know that Comodo has a mixed reputation in this forum, and I'd like to add to the mix.

Short answer: they appear to be scanning for HTTPS servers, snarfing down the SSL cert info, and contacting customers who certs are nearing expiry in an attempt to get the SSL cert business.

A customer got one of these, and I was able to head it off at the pass, and wrote up a blog post about it. »blog.unixwiz.net/2013/03 ··· biz.html

Anybody else gotten one of these calls?

I've seen their bots around, they usually sport the useragent "Comodo-Certificates-Spider".

They've been doing this for many years, another forum thread below.

»community.tuliptools.com ··· ificates

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to Steve

MVM

to Steve
I can't fault them for trying to increase their market share. I'm sure that there are a lot of companies out there then have no idea when their SSL certs expire and this could let them know that it is time to renew.

Whether or not Comodo is good or bad, I don't have an opinion.