uniqs

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron

Re: VMedia IPTV is Teksavvy planning on participating?

Hey Gang,

I'm as interested as the rest of you to find a way to make TV work. That being said, and I don't want to burst any bubbles here but I'm still unconvinced that there's a way to make it work and even if I can be convinced of it, its the kind of thing that I'd be more interested in acquiring than leveraging others. The simple fact is that once users have a set top box, it becomes very difficult to change course and we would effectively be giving up a big strategic part of the whole value proposition that we provide and that our users expect from us. We will continue to evaluate our options as more of these little players pop up and see how that goes.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

Hey Gang,

I'm as interested as the rest of you to find a way to make TV work. That being said, and I don't want to burst any bubbles here but I'm still unconvinced that there's a way to make it work and even if I can be convinced of it, its the kind of thing that I'd be more interested in acquiring than leveraging others. The simple fact is that once users have a set top box, it becomes very difficult to change course and we would effectively be giving up a big strategic part of the whole value proposition that we provide and that our users expect from us. We will continue to evaluate our options as more of these little players pop up and see how that goes.

Thanks for giving us a heads up,

I'd say that you should consider it, part of my going OTA is not that I really cared that much about the expense of cable, it's that I kept shovelling money to a provider (be it Rogers/Bell/Shaw) who didn't care about what I wanted, and their offer was garbage over all.

A good package, with profits going to a provider like Teksavvy would be ideal. You probably don't want to get stuck playing catch up on this one.
sourtimes
join:2012-12-16
York, ON

sourtimes

I've been watching this and am interested. I looked at Vmedia but immediately lost interest when I saw I had to go with them for internet service as well. I thought perhaps you could just get the box and use it via your existing internet from any provider.

Is there some sort of CRTC regulation that mandates TV providers to have these 'packages' ? I assume it's more just a way to generate more revenue by packaging up desirable channels with some other worthless ones and cornering you into paying for 5 or 6 channels when you only want one.

The holy grail of TV for me would be to literally pick the channels I want on an individual basis and pay just for the channels I plan to watch. IPTV seems like the perfect medium to accommodate providing television service in that manner.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

jmck

said by sourtimes:

The holy grail of TV for me would be to literally pick the channels I want on an individual basis and pay just for the channels I plan to watch. IPTV seems like the perfect medium to accommodate providing television service in that manner.

it's clear with the CRTC that things won't really change. vmedia seems to be nothing more than traditional TV which is really boring.

i believe the best solution for those that don't watch much TV anymore except a few good TV shows is a netflix account for unlimited on demand content combined with iTunes or similar services (not much else available in Canada) that lets you pay per episode or subscribe to an entire season, why pay for an entire channel if you only one 1-2 shows? Netflix won't have the new stuff, but iTunes will.

sadly the only thing missing si HBO content online for us, iTunes Australia and a few other countries get new HBO and Game of Thrones the next day tho so there is hope.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

said by jmck:

it's clear with the CRTC that things won't really change.

It probably would change should traditional broadcasting through BDUs become obsolete though that would be a much longer timeframe.

Then again there is nothing stopping anyone from filing a CRTC or Industry Canada request asking them to look at regulation changes.