uniqs
share rss forum feed

POB
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
Premium
join:2003-02-13
Stepford, CA

Toilet Water Is Hot -

So the following is a true story. I rent a 1BR from a commercial property. The plumbing has always been screwy, but this event takes the cake.

Previously, in order to get hot water from the kitchen sink, I had to go to the bathroom and run the water in the tub first since it takes about 25 seconds for it to warm up there vs. the fifteen (15) minutes it would take of wasting water at the kitchen tap in order to get it hot. Pain in the ass, for sure, but a tolerable one. (Hey, this is apartment living where all the repairs/renovations are performed by illegal mexicans so you can't expect much.)

As of a couple weeks ago, the situation has reversed. The water from all taps now runs hot. I have to let the bathroom sink tap run for five (5) minutes or longer before it cools down. Also, the water in the toilet bowl and tank is hot. I'm not a plummer and so cannot comment intelligently, but doesn't it take a special kind of stupid for this to happen as there is only ONE hookup from the water line to the toilet and it happens to be cold water only?

Anyone who knows what's going on with this feel free to comment as I have no clue WTF happened.
--
Visit Planet POB
Twitter

Karride
Slower Traffic Keep Right
Premium
join:2000-04-17
Germantown, TN
Seems like not too long ago there was a post here about hot water to the toilet and apparently its not uncommon; The goal it to prevent condensation from forming on the outside of the water tank.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to POB
There is more then one way to get the results you are describing.

One of them applies to those re-circulation systems that (for ease of installation) don't have a separate return pipe to the water heater. Instead cold/warm water is pumped back through the cold water supply (in order to keep the hot water pipes hot all the time). People tend to install those kinds of systems to eliminate that 15 minute wait that you are mentioning.

If the recirculation pump is incorrectly installed or configured or if the temperature sensor is defect it may continuously pump hot water through your cold water pipes (at a great increase in utility costs). Just as you describe it, you would notice it by getting hot water from cold water taps.

Of course, someone may have just hooked up some pipes wrongly during the most recent repair job.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

averagedude

join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

reply to POB
My 2 cents.

Some where there is a "cross-connection" and hot water is getting in to the cold water. It is not uncommon issue in older buildings.

One example: Laundry rooms where a "Y" connector is added to hot and cold to get mix temp for single water connection to washing machines. With out check valves at the each connection the hot water will push in to the cold water side leading to some unexpected surprises.

Porcelain toilets don't like radical changes in temperature...then have a tendency to crack and or break (sometimes catastrophically).

POB
Premium
Stepford, CA
said by averagedude:

Porcelain toilets don't like radical changes in temperature...then have a tendency to crack and or break (sometimes catastrophically).

So it sounds like the toilet is going to crack at some point. Ha. Awesome.

POB
Premium
Stepford, CA
reply to leibold
said by leibold:

Of course, someone may have just hooked up some pipes wrongly during the most recent repair job.

I'm going to go with the above referenced. Maintenance has no clue how to "fix" anything.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to POB
said by POB:

said by averagedude:

I witnessed this is a motel in Gettysburg. Rather amusing since it wasn't mine. My 70's something mother was not amused since she figured she broke the toilet.
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"omne ignotum pro magnifico."

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
said by SparkChaser:

said by POB:

said by averagedude:

I witnessed this is a motel in Gettysburg. Rather amusing since it wasn't mine. My 70's something mother was not amused since she figured she broke the toilet.

Good way to test the wax seal.

shortckt
Watchen Das Blinken Lights
Premium
join:2000-12-05
Tenant Hell
reply to POB
I've seen this happen in an apartment building my sister lived in many years ago after maintenanace did some plumbing work in the building. They eventually fixed the crossed pipes.

This also happens in the small building where I live for a different reason... the water pipes run through the attic in this building and the attic gets extremely hot on any reasonably sunny day from spring until fall. If I open a cold water faucet I get very warm or hot water for a couple of minutes until the standing water in the pipes has flowed out of the fixture. It also depends on how much any other tenant further away from the water meter from me has used cold water recently. On typical hot So. Cal. summer days I measured the heated cold water temp at the faucet at 180 deg.

Since it takes a couple of minutes to get cold water and I'm afraid of cracking the toilet tank, on hot days I try to run the cold water in the bathroom before flushing.

It wasn't like this with the old roof. This started when they re-roofed and the new composite shingles are dark green, plus there's very little in the way of attic vents... free solar heating, sort-of.

Hawk
Riding Thermals
Premium
join:2003-08-25
The Desert
reply to POB
The potential "crossover" may exist at a failing single handle fixture if one or more are installed. As already suggested, it could be the result of several issues. Hard to diag offsite.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to POB
If you think the water lines have been reversed, it should be pretty simple to turn on your faucets and see. Cold water should be on the right, warm water should be on the left. Try the shower and sinks. Really, having hot water for a toilet flush is rarely intended.

POB
Premium
Stepford, CA
said by mix:

If you think the water lines have been reversed, it should be pretty simple to turn on your faucets and see. Cold water should be on the right, warm water should be on the left. Try the shower and sinks. Really, having hot water for a toilet flush is rarely intended.

I'm not sure what happened as I haven't touched anything. As I've mentioned, I'm a renter, therefore I don't lift a finger to "fix" anything. That is exclusively limited to the illegal mexican drones on the property. So whatever they did to cause this particular situation, I really can't comment intelligently.
--
Visit Planet POB
Twitter

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to mix
said by mix:

I see an advantage in addition to sweating: when you go to wash your hands, the hot water is warm sooner after a flush. In some plumbing, only the hot water is softened water. So keeping the bowl from mineral deposits could be an advantage.

I don't buy the cracked porcelain worry. Wax ring? Maybe, but even that is doubtful as a problem. Clearly the cost of heating the water is a disadvantage.

POB
Premium
Stepford, CA
reply to POB
UPDATE:

So as it turns out, the hot water in the toilet was a result of the water from the next door neighbor's pipe (which runs under my bathroom floor and is somehow connected to my pipe) backing up into my pipe (the one that runs to my toilet). This was determined as a result of the three inches of water seeping from around the seal on the toilet. A plumber was called and he determined that the leak was coming from the next door neighbor's plumbing, not mine. It's just the water to that unit runs under my bathroom. So it's all good. Not my water. Not my electricity/gas to heat the hot water. Not my toilet leaking. All belongs to the neighbor.
--
Visit Planet POB
Twitter

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL
I was afraid that you were going to state that the plumber found some kind of Redneck tempering valve system in place. We just had a tempering valve put in, due to the wife complained too much of a sweating toilet tank.

Took some time to get it at the right temp of around 70f vs. at first it was around 80f, due to the ball valve was opened just a little too far.

POB
Premium
Stepford, CA
said by old_tech:

I was afraid that you were going to state that the plumber found some kind of Redneck tempering valve system in place. We just had a tempering valve put in, due to the wife complained too much of a sweating toilet tank.

Took some time to get it at the right temp of around 70f vs. at first it was around 80f, due to the ball valve was opened just a little too far.

I'm quite sure there was some kind of jerry-rigging going on, just don't know enough about it to comment intelligently. After all, how else would the toilet water be hot? I still don't get that, but it's not a problem. As long as my bathroom isn't flooded and the water is no longer hot in the tank, I'm good. The temp in the head was like fifteeen to twenty degrees higher than the rest of the apartment.
--
Visit Planet POB
Twitter

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL
I would hate to have the OP electric or gas bill, as high as they keep their hot water.

POB
Premium
Stepford, CA
said by old_tech:

I would hate to have the OP electric or gas bill, as high as they keep their hot water.

I had the same thought. The water temp has been ::HOT:: for about the past two weeks now 24x7. I'm thinking that will be quite the utility bill.