how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Decko

join:2013-03-28
Goldsboro, NC

Earthlink DSL - not available?

My parents just moved out to the country and they are trying to get internet access without paying the ridiculous Satellite fees. Apparently their neighbor has Earthlink dsl, but my mom told me when she calls in the sales rep says they can't service their house because all the lines are in use... I've never heard this before, anyone know what she is referring to or does the sales rep just not have a clue what she's talking about?

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

I don't know anything about Earthlink, but I do live rural. Competition does not exist. Most cable and phone companies today offer Internet. All have protected territories. Earthlink cannot serve an XYZ customer.

The parents may be one house OUT of the Earthlink territory.
If Earthlink is now a telco, it is possible your parents do not have a copper phone line -- which means they have no phone service. No phone service = no Internet thru the phone company unless they decide to bring a phone service to the house... they probably won't due to cost of installing the copper line.

No lines can mean a company is oversold. Until the upgrade or someone gives up the service it won't be available.

That leaves cable and satellite. Read the phone book and newspapers. There is always a possibility someone from out of the area provides a microwave or wireless link up that is not a satellite dish company.

Call your county officials; someone knows who the phone, cable, internet and wireless providers are in their county. They have to know the answers because they approve each service to residents.

There are many solutions, Finding the answers is the challenge in most rural areas especially if they are underserved which most are.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Decko

join:2013-03-28
Goldsboro, NC

Yeah the only other options available are Satellite with 2 year contracts that are $100+ a month for trash service with 10mb monthly limits. They have phone service through the same provider that says they can't get internet because there's no available spots on the line

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 edit
reply to Decko

said by Decko:

the sales rep says they can't service their house because all the lines are in use... I've never heard this before, anyone know what she is referring to or does the sales rep just not have a clue what she's talking about?

That is possible and there may even be a waiting list with the local provider. Earthlink is a reseller and if there are no local lines/ports available then there is nothing to resell to your parents. See #2 in the FAQ below.

»DSL FAQ »DSL Availability & Troubleshooting
quote:
DSL Why can't I get it? FAQ

»Substitute "your telco" for Bell Canada (ON/QC/NWT/YT), Telus (BC/AB), Aliant (Maritimes), MTS (MB) or SaskTel (SK).

So you've tried all your phone numbers, and none of them come up as available in the ISP's web tool. But why? It could be due to one (or more) of the following reasons.

1) Too far - over 4.5 to 5.5km away from DSLAM
Reason: This is the most likely reason. You need to be roughly within 4.5km away from a DSLAM/RSLAM to sync at 1Mbps. If you have coarser gauge wire, you may be able to be 5.5km away, give or take a few hundred meters.

Fix: None. Wait until DSL service is implemented in your area.

2) DSLAM is full
Reason: This is the second most likely reason. ADSL is very popular! There are only so many DSLAM line cards for so many customers per neighborhood.

Fix: Keep checking every three months. People cancel, and equipment is upgraded all the time.

Who is the local Telephone provider?

--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Decko

(topic move) Earthlink DSL - not available?

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »Eastlink question