MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to tshirt

MVM

to tshirt

Re: [Connectivity] Something is messed up on my connection

Click for full size
ROUTE test to where? By default, for my address (last two numbers of IP cut off for security).
Expand your moderator at work

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

2 edits

tshirt to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross

at visualware »myspeed.visualware.com/s ··· ion=USA: Chicago, Illinois&cm=no&ver=9&map=namerica&codec=speedstd&codectext=Standard View Socket&width=600&provtext=Visualware&provlink=http://www.visualware.com&width=600
click ROUTE on the right hand side, then Start at the top.

This is a "looking glass" type app, the route from the VW server to you.
My thought was you could run it direct and again through the VPN to see what happens.

Also most of the VW test support either a socket test or HTTP test the HTTP test has lower throughput but much greater stability
Expand your moderator at work

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to tshirt

MVM

to tshirt

It almost seems as if whatever address I use, it eventually just says 2 hops. I think this test measures from their servers to the selected address. From the table, it usually lists two of their servers, and one of the ISP links (Comcast for my address, RoadRunner for my main VPN).
andyross

andyross

MVM

So far, still nothing from Direct. I made a new post with a more direct request.

I did do a few things over the weekend. I loosened/tightened all of the RF connection, and unplugged/replugged all of the network cables. I could stream video from my computer to my WDTV Live with no issues, so I think it's either the WAN connection, modem, or something further upstream.

It's a bit better today so far, and I put the work computer back on it for awhile to see what happens. It is cooler today (30's instead of 50's). I guess it's remotely possible some upstream amp is getting flaky.
andyross

andyross

MVM

Finally heard from Direct forum. Everything looks good, which is no surprise as I have had no issues for several days.

On a side note, I've noticed my 6120 has not logged that silly 'DHCP Renew' message, even though it's been up for 7 days now. Normally, it would be posted every 3.5 days. Maybe the reset to defaults and reboot cleared something?
andyross

andyross

MVM

Unfortunately, this issue has come back again today. Signals are more or less the same.

Tried calling Comcast, got an Indian call center. Just a script kiddie with rebooting everything, etc... I still have no idea what my upstream SNR may be. I tried another direct forum post, but if it's like before, it'll be days before somebody gives me an answer, and may fix itself by then.

I'm also starting to see occasional T3's logged.
andyross

andyross

MVM

Click for full size
Latest test. It sometimes passes OK (shows about 26.6/5.6), then other times has major issues.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

Take record of your modem levels and events when you get the different test results. Make sure you are testing directly off the modem and not using a router.