MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to Johkal

MVM

to Johkal

Re: [Signals] Balancing my own signal

said by Johkal:

I'd rather have the US at 46 to improve DS SNR. I would say do it.

I suppose I can change it for a few days and see if the packet loss subsides. 46 still has some margin for US channel bonding on D3, right?

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

1 edit

beachintech

Premium Member

Yes, about 4 DB, assuming your modem is reporting proper signal levels.

I would skip the splitter. It will not hurt anything either way. Make sure you properly terminate the unused ports. Wouldn't want to hurt the SNR further.

I think your opinion of my comment is off from the intention. Your packet loss may not be related to marginal signal. Until you follow through involving a tech with a real meter, there is no way to say otherwise.

Good luck as always.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to pflog

MVM

to pflog
You have the room with 46. 3-4 increase won't hurt a thing if it slides. Go ahead and experiment.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 edit

pflog to beachintech

MVM

to beachintech
said by beachintech:

Yes, about 4 DB, assuming your modem is reporting proper signal levels.

Yeah, I'm aware now (thanks to you from another thread) of the possibility the modem is misreporting it. I'm planning to call to get the CMTS numbers to see if they jive. Or are the CMTS numbers also suspect?

I would skip the splitter. It will not hurt anything either way. Make sure you properly terminate the unused ports. Wouldn't want to hurt the SNR further.

I did have an attenuator from my FiOS install (signal was too hot for the S3 Tivo), I may have to use that as I don't think I have any terminators.

I think your opinion of my comment is off from the intention. Your packet loss may not be related to marginal signal. Until you follow through involving a tech with a real meter, there is no way to say otherwise.

I'm not disputing that it could be unrelated, but the packet loss didn't start occurring until recently when the SNR has fluctuated and dropped into the 33's (and occasionally down into the high 32's). Cause. Effect.
Expand your moderator at work
pflog

pflog to beachintech

MVM

to beachintech

Re: [Signals] Balancing my own signal

Thanks, I'll call to see if their numbers at the CMTS jive with the modem. Can those be trusted, or is the meter on the prem the only legitimate numbers to trust?

Speaking of terminators...I have a 4-way splitter with them on there but wanted to move them to my 2-way splitter (or a 3-way with a -3.5dB leg) but do I need a special tool to remove the terminators?

beachintech
Premium Member

beachintech

Premium Member

Meter is really the best number, modem will get close, but i've seen some be off by a good bit. You also get a lot more info than a number with a meter.

Are they locking terminators? If they are, yes you do, they can be had online pretty cheap. You can buy non-locking terminators as well very cheap.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by beachintech:

Meter is really the best number, modem will get close, but i've seen some be off by a good bit. You also get a lot more info than a number with a meter.

Are they locking terminators? If they are, yes you do, they can be had online pretty cheap. You can buy non-locking terminators as well very cheap.

Thanks, I'll look around for some non-locking ones or purchase the tool and leave things as-is until I am able to properly terminate the unused connections on the splitter.

Just for everyone edification, I'll post the numbers this Netgear D3 device is reporting vs. the ones read from the CMTS so we can see how close this modem reports them (although I guess the degree to which they are accurate may vary over time, too, relative to the CMTS).
pflog

pflog

MVM

Well, take it with a grain of salt but the CMTS side shows the same US power (41.7), the same SNR (34.1) but the power level on their end is showing -1 whereas most of my channels are showing +1 on the modem's DS PWR.

So if they're off by 2 (again, assuming the CMTS is correct) then maybe I would be ok with taking the pad out entirely and sitting at +9 (+7 according to the CMTS).

I guess I'll give that a go for a bit until I can hook up the splitter

Thanks for both of your responses and info!

beachintech
Premium Member

beachintech

Premium Member

Was that downstream power or upstream receive power? Did you happen to ask what your upstream SNR was as well?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by beachintech:

Was that downstream power or upstream receive power? Did you happen to ask what your upstream SNR was as well?

That was downstream power I believe.

Doh! I meant to ask about the uSNR, but got distracted by my kids coming home. I'll call them back to ask in a few. Thanks for the reminder.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

They gave you the wrong numbers as they usually do...

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by EG:

They gave you the wrong numbers as they usually do...

What exactly am I asking for when I call to get the right ones? I specifically asked for the numbers at the CMTS.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

You are asking for the correct info its just that many if not most of the phone reps do not know what they are looking at.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Upstream SNR is 36.1. I asked if he was sure that was the upstream and then asked for the downstream and that's 35.8 (which jives with my modem's reported DS value).

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Many times they quote the stuff polled from the modem, not the CMTS.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by EG:

Many times they quote the stuff polled from the modem, not the CMTS.

Ahh ok.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

To me this is not surprising considering the typical training (or the lack thereof) of some of their employees...