how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Celeras

join:2012-12-06
Sacramento, CA

[DSL] AT&T Uverse Customer - Thinking of switching to DSLX

We have AT&T Uverse which was supposed to run at 3mb/s but it turns out we're too far away from the office so we had to lower it to 1.5mb/s. My friend turned me onto DSL Extreme and I like what I'm seeing, but since it uses the same lines as AT&T what I am wondering is if I will still have to keep the same scaled down speed as I am with AT&T. We've had nothing but problems with AT&T recently so we might switch either way because its cheaper and they have pretty good reviews, but 1.5mb/s is basically useless to me.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:27

Not going to sugarcoat it: you're probably going to have much the same issue. Your max speed's biggest limiting factor is your distance to the CO, which, as you've noted, is quite far. We might be able to tweak the line and optimize it... but unless there's some major breakthrough we can find with regards to your account (like we find an unfiltered phone that we fix, or a damaged cable gets repaired, or the like) you're probably only going to hit about 1.5, 2.0, etc.

It's kind of like living out in the desert and having poor reception on your cellphone. It's not that there's anything *wrong* with your cellphone, nor which carrier you're signed up on - you're just too far out to get good reception. =(

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Celeras

One other factor to keep in mind, beyond dslx_nick See Profile's comments: U-verse HSI is PTM based. DSLX is going to be ATM based. With ATM, your actual down speed will be ~0.85xSync, which is a greater hit than PTM at ~0.96xSync.

If you qualify for Fusion, you might see an increase; but that will depend on your estimated MaxSync, and the condition of the copper. Worst case should be no difference from your current speed.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Celeras

join:2012-12-06
Sacramento, CA
reply to Celeras

Thanks for the replies guys. The AT&T technician did have to run a new line when we had it set up and we had 3mb/s for a while but the internet kept going out. That is when we found out it was happening because the house is barely over the max distance from the CO and lowered it. BTW I clicked on the 'pre-qualify' thing on DSL Extreme's site and it said I qualified for fusion with 5mb/s.

SAN_MARINO

@sbcglobal.net

Sometimes when you're phone line is too old, you need someone to install a new line. Just find a phone technician to do it for you, usually $60.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:27

"BTW I clicked on the 'pre-qualify' thing on DSL Extreme's site and it said I qualified for fusion with 5mb/s."

To be more precise, you're qualified for speeds UP TO 5Mbps. Meaning you're so far out, we know there's no way in heck you're going to be able to get anywhere close to 20Mbps, or even 10Mbps - your speed's going to be somewhere between 0-5Mbps, but we can't guarantee in advance where exactly you lie. Based on what you've described, we might be able to get close to 3, but that's probably the max. I know we should be able to get you at least 1.5, since that's what you're doing now... so really, your speed is probably 1.5-3.

As NormanS said: you might see an increase, and worse-case should be no different than your current speed. We do offer a 30-day period where you can sign up for it, and if it doesn't work out you can cancel without ETF (you still have to pay the first month's bill, but you're not bound by contract). Obviously, your current AT&T 1.5 isn't cutting it for you, so I'd suggest either giving Fusion a try, or trying some service other than DSL.