StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

Navy Wants Lasers on Marine's Trucks to Shoot Down Drones

quote:
If there was any doubt that the military has new confidence in its forthcoming laser arsenal, the Navy’s top geeks want to outfit Marines with a laser cannon to shoot small drones out of the sky.

Specifically, the Office of Naval Research thinks that Marine air-ground task forces are too vulnerable to adversaries flying cheap, small spy drones overhead, like the four-pound Raven the Marines themselves used in Iraq. Its answer: outfit Marine ground vehicles with laser guns.

»www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/03···-drones/

I'm guessing none of my laser pointers will get the job done
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by StuartMW:

quote:
If there was any doubt that the military has new confidence in its forthcoming laser arsenal, the Navy’s top geeks want to outfit Marines with a laser cannon to shoot small drones out of the sky.

Specifically, the Office of Naval Research thinks that Marine air-ground task forces are too vulnerable to adversaries flying cheap, small spy drones overhead, like the four-pound Raven the Marines themselves used in Iraq. Its answer: outfit Marine ground vehicles with laser guns.

»www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/03···-drones/

I'm guessing none of my laser pointers will get the job done

Considering that the Marines are looking for a laser cannon that will put out 25kW initially, with eventual upgrade to 50kW, it seems less than likely... unless you've got a laser printer capable of etching through 1-inch steel plate.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to StuartMW

A 25kW portable laser with computer guided targeting would be good for a lot more than just taking drones out.

Pretty damn cool, unless you're the target.

As for the power source issue, not all lasers are electrically powered, I believe they can be powered directly by chemical reactions inside the resonance chamber.
[edit]Found it.... »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_o···ne_laser

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

...a laser cannon that will put out 25kW initially, with eventual upgrade to 50kW...

Yeah, I'm sure that'd trip my circuit breakers

BTW I posted this for irony. The Marine's will be able to defend themselves but the average citizen won't be able to do much against gummint or private drones soon to be buzzing over their heads. As Bloomberg said "Get used to it!".

»Mayor Bloomberg: "Get used to it"
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to StuartMW

I guess the Navy doesn't get a clue that we are in over our heads in debt, and fancy futuristic toys can't be purchased.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to StuartMW

quote:
Ground-Based Air Defense Directed Energy on the Move
GBADDEM... well THAT don't roll off the tounge....

New offduty squid / jarhead pasttime, looking inside the little tiny light for the dropped Token *LOL*

Regards

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to StuartMW

Trucks with frickin lasers? Not sharks?

scelli
Native New Yorker
Premium
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to HELLFIRE

said by HELLFIRE:

quote:
Ground-Based Air Defense Directed Energy on the Move
GBADDEM... well THAT don't roll off the tounge....

New offduty squid / jarhead pasttime, looking inside the little tiny light for the dropped Token *LOL*

Regards

I'm sure the average grunt is probably thinking this thing isn't some sort of miracle kick-butt addition to their field arsenal but yet another acronym to remember...as well as having to qualify on that acronym semi-annually.
--
The maximum effective range of an excuse is ZERO meters!