join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: Navy Wants Lasers on Marine's Trucks to Shoot Down Drones

said by StuartMW:

quote:
If there was any doubt that the military has new confidence in its forthcoming laser arsenal, the Navy’s top geeks want to outfit Marines with a laser cannon to shoot small drones out of the sky.

Specifically, the Office of Naval Research thinks that Marine air-ground task forces are too vulnerable to adversaries flying cheap, small spy drones overhead, like the four-pound Raven the Marines themselves used in Iraq. Its answer: outfit Marine ground vehicles with laser guns.

»www.wired.com/dangerroom ··· -drones/

I'm guessing none of my laser pointers will get the job done

Considering that the Marines are looking for a laser cannon that will put out 25kW initially, with eventual upgrade to 50kW, it seems less than likely... unless you've got a laser printer capable of etching through 1-inch steel plate.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

2 edits

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

...a laser cannon that will put out 25kW initially, with eventual upgrade to 50kW...

Yeah, I'm sure that'd trip my circuit breakers

BTW I posted this for irony. The Marine's will be able to defend themselves but the average citizen won't be able to do much against gummint or private drones soon to be buzzing over their heads. As Bloomberg said "Get used to it!".

»Mayor Bloomberg: "Get used to it"