Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

[iTunes] Keeps crashing...

This is driving me bonkers... It crashes every 2 days when left alone, minimized for WiFi sync...

Ever since I upgraded to my iPhone 5, I had to upgrade iTunes... I was using an older iTunes 10.6 prior with my iPhone 4 & iPad 3 on iOS 5.1.1 JB. I would leave iTunes running minimized on my Mac mini running 10.6.8, which i use as my HTPC with Plex as the front end. iTunes never crashed when being minimized in this state, and the WiFi sync worked flawlessly both on my iPhone4 and iPad3.

For the iPhone5 I had to upgrade to at least iTunes 10.7. I did, I tried to avoid version 11 cuz I did not like the way it looked or worked. This is where the problem started. iTunes will randomly crash with an error, that it closed unexpectadly or whatever, and of course WiFi sync no longer works.

So i think, ugh, maybe its a bug. So I reluctantly upgraded to iTunes 11... Same problem. Crashes regularly every two days, even if there is no other activity on the mini, if I dont use it to watch any of my HTPC content... I plug in my iPhone ever night to charge, and boom I dont see the spinning sync symbol... And always iTunes is crashed at this stage...

Do I have to upgrade to Mountain Lion to fix this?
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

Just a guess, but have you tried the usual first steps?

Run Software Update to make sure everything is up to date
Rebooting
Disk utilities - repair permissions and verify disk
Visit Genius Bar if an Apple Store is nearby
Create a new user account and see if that account crashes too
Google to see if anyone else has this issue

Again, just a series of guesses and things I'd try

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Yep, SU up to date, rebooting, repaired disk & permissions from a SL boot dvd...

Didnt create a new user... I cant find anything this specific, every thing related to itunes wifi sync is it not working properly of some sort...It works here, always has, it just that the damn thing crashes after being left on...

I just wish there was a separate sync software instead of itunes having to run... How about.... iSync? Oh wait, we had that once! LOL...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA
reply to HiVolt

I suspect it is the WiFi sync being turned on that causes the issue.

I've had it happen on various machines with WiFi sync turned on. Once I turned that off on all the machines, the problem went away, even with leaving iTunes open and minimized. No more random crashing.
--
GuruGuy