uniqs

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
join:2005-08-24
Scarborough

Oinktastic to m83

to m83

Re: DSL modem unreachable

Did you change the IP address in your router where it says: "Route Modem IP"? Make sure it's set to 192.168.1.254, or whatever the correct IP is.

The 192.168.x.x address is configurable from inside the ST516 modem's GUI. Try logging in to the modem and making sure that's the correct IP that the modem is using. Then make sure the "Route Modem IP" box in your Tomato GUI is set to the same address that you found in the ST516's GUI, and give it another go. It's possible you have to reboot your modem and/or router to get it to work properly, I can't remember. Mine works with a very similar setup to yours.
m83
join:2006-02-06
Windsor, ON

m83

Thanks for the reply.

I can't figure out the first step in your reply - how to configure the IP address inside the ST516 modem's GUI.

I do not see that option anywhere.
m83

m83 to Oinktastic

to Oinktastic
"Did you change the IP address in your router where it says: "Route Modem IP"?"

Cannot set it to 192.168.1.254. Tomato says, "Modem IP may not be within your local address space"

I know nothing about networking, but I suspect the issue may be that the router is acting as the DHCP server, while the DHCP server on the modem is disabled.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
join:2005-08-24
Scarborough

Oinktastic

Is any other device on your network using 192.168.1.254 already? That could be one posssible cause.

Another might be (if the modem is smart enough), that your local network is using the 192.168.1.x IP address space already, and the modem must be in a different subnet. In that case, you should use 192.168.0.254 or something different. You don't want your modem to be in the same IP range as your router and the rest of your computers. That's what this whole "Route Modem IP" business is about. It's making a special route specifically to your modem, which is basically on a different network, in order for you to access it.

If your local network is 192.168.1.x, try setting the modem IP to 192.168.0.254.
If your local network is 192.168.0.x, then 192.168.1.254 should work, unless another device is already using that address.

You want the DHCP server on the modem disabled; that's fine. The IP address you receive from your ISP should not interfere with a local DHCP server.