Search similar:

uniqs
lilarry
Premium Member
join:2010-04-06

lilarry

Premium Member

[Voip.ms] No ringback tone heard on outgoing calls ... again

It's baa-aaack. Numerous customers once again complaining about not hearing ringback tone on outbound Voip.ms calls. It's been a serious problem for us for the past couple of days now. Reminiscent of this thread from a few months ago: »[Voip.ms] No ringback heard on outgoing calls..

Voip.ms has been unable to duplicate the problem, and I also have been unable to duplicate it at will, although it has happened to me as well as to customers. (The worst was my dentist, who we service, complaining to me about it while drilling my tooth today - few things are scarier ).

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this the past few days.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Does it relate at all to the equipment being used (PBX, ATA, IP phones, etc)?

Have you seen any pattern?
jhouston21
join:2004-12-17
Hampton, NH

jhouston21 to lilarry

to lilarry
I'm convinced that VoIP.ms doesn't take this issue seriously. If they did, it wouldn't be going on as long as it has. Yesterday I completed my first VoIP.ms port-out since I moved a lot of customers to them after the Callcentric storm of October / November 2012. There are plenty of VoIP providers that aren't experiencing issues such as this or the issue of the first few seconds of incoming calls being cut-off.
lilarry
Premium Member

1 recommendation

lilarry to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

Nope, I haven't seen any pattern yet, other than a flurry of complaints over a couple of days after a couple of months of things going relatively smoothly. Indeed, that is why I posted this. I'm thinking if others are also suddenly noticing this issue perhaps we can compare notes here to try to establish a pattern.

I also don't thiink it is equipment related. Again, everything's been working for multiple customers at multiiple locations, on different ISPs, routing to different servers ... and then suddenly so many encounter the issue all at the same time.

It is perplexing, for us and also for Voip.ms support -they are trying hard to help us figure it out, and that support is appreciated.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by lilarry:

I'm thinking if others are also suddenly noticing this issue perhaps we can compare notes here to try to establish a pattern.

Thanks for all the info.

I forgot to ask before, does this happen on "premium" outbound as well as the base-level (cheaper) outbound?
VoipisGreat
join:2013-03-25

1 edit

VoipisGreat to lilarry

to lilarry
It's been an ongoing problem with me. I rarely use voip.ms anymore, although I still keep my balance there.

I had opened a support ticket in the past. Initially I was told they were able to replicate the problem and then the ticket was forwarded to the routing department. In the end I was told the calls were connected so he didn't see why it'd be a problem. Then the ticket was eventually closed without being resolved.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to lilarry

Premium Member

to lilarry
I found this Microsoft commentary of interest here.

[Lync Users Do Not Hear Ringback Tone for Outbound Calls Through PSTN Gateway]
»blogs.technet.com/b/next ··· way.aspx
Radar73
join:2008-01-20
Ajax, ON

Radar73 to lilarry

to lilarry
We have also had this issue at least two times in the last two weeks. Dead air, not sure if we should hang up or wait, then someone says "Hello ..."

So, what causes no ring back? I guessing it's a server problem since there are no settings change on our end between when it works normally and when it doesn't. Is there anything we can check on our side (SPA3102)?
lilarry
Premium Member

lilarry

Premium Member

To all those responding - have you noticed any particular patterns? Are you able to duplicate the issue at will? If so, how?
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

I forgot to ask before, does this happen on "premium" outbound as well as the base-level (cheaper) outbound?

I can confirm it happens sporadically with Premium routing to Canada. But I don't know how to duplicate the issue.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to Radar73

Premium Member

to Radar73
said by Radar73:

So, what causes no ring back? I guessing it's a server problem since there are no settings change on our end between when it works normally and when it doesn't. Is there anything we can check on our side (SPA3102)?

Check if in such case it's getting 180 Ringing message or not.
1. if it does - the problem is with local ATA device
2. if it doesn't - the problem is with remote SIP server
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

I don't see a 180 Ringing message even when it works properly. It appears as if ringing is sent as audio.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

That's correct. But in your case you hear the ring. I was talking about the case, when the caller doesn't hear it.
lilarry
Premium Member

lilarry to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

Nope, I haven't seen any pattern yet, other than a flurry of complaints over a couple of days after a couple of months of things going relatively smoothly. Indeed, that is why I posted this. I'm thinking if others are also suddenly noticing this issue perhaps we can compare notes here to try to establish a pattern.

I also don't thiink it is equipment related. Again, everything's been working for multiple customers at multiiple locations, on different ISPs, routing to different servers ... and then suddenly so many encounter the issue all at the same time.

It is perplexing, for us and also for Voip.ms support -they are trying hard to help us figure it out, and that support is appreciated.

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

1 recommendation

Trimline to lilarry

Premium Member

to lilarry
said by lilarry:

To all those responding - have you noticed any particular patterns? Are you able to duplicate the issue at will? If so, how?

You may want to include the server you are using. I'm on Tampa and don't have this issue. Connected via PBX.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to lilarry

MVM

to lilarry
said by lilarry:

they are trying hard to help us figure it out, and that support is appreciated.

IMO, far too many people in the VOIP chain that >> voip.ms >>> has to manage otherwise they would have already figured out the problem for the POP's in question. The more voip.ms have control over [end-to-end] the easier it is to solve issues --- so patience and time is very much at stake. Many trade-offs have to be balanced in the business of VOIP. I [as a technologist] happen to favour Quality [consistency] of Service far more than any other consideration because that generates customer satisfaction.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Re: No ringback tone heard on outgoing calls ... again

said by mozerd:

IMO, far too many people in the VOIP chain that >> voip.ms >>> has to manage otherwise they would have already figured out the problem for the POP's in question....

Very interesting points.

The [VoIP technology] question that I would have is: Aren't [all] of the VoIP providers having to deal with a chain of upstream and downstream providers? It's a puzzle.
-----

It's like the 85 year old man who goes to his doctor because of pain in his [right] knee. The doctor blames it on age. The man responds that his [left] knee is the same age yet it feels fine.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by PX Eliezer1:

The [VoIP technology] question that I would have is: Aren't [all] of the VoIP providers having to deal with a chain of upstream and downstream providers? It's a puzzle.

Yes, I suspect that is exactly the case which is why associations require effective due diligence and where staff technical experience has no substitute of whatsoever nature. Far too many talkers not enough doers.
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to lilarry

to lilarry

Re: [Voip.ms] No ringback tone heard on outgoing calls ... again

said by lilarry:

It's baa-aaack. Numerous customers once again complaining about not hearing ringback tone on outbound Voip.ms calls. It's been a serious problem for us for the past couple of days now. Reminiscent of this thread from a few months ago: »[Voip.ms] No ringback heard on outgoing calls..

Voip.ms has been unable to duplicate the problem, and I also have been unable to duplicate it at will, although it has happened to me as well as to customers. (The worst was my dentist, who we service, complaining to me about it while drilling my tooth today - few things are scarier ).

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this the past few days.

I get this from clients from time to time, as well as having this odd dead space myself. No where near consistent enough to open a ticket, but it happens enough to be really annoying.
MZB
join:2010-11-25
Dunrobin, ON

MZB

Isn't this a problem with the terminating carrier - thus would depend upon which carrier voip.ms is using to terminate the call and would thus be dependent on number dialed.

Certainly on the UK PSTN the ringback used to be generated by the terminating switch - presume this is still the case. (But I do get different ringbacks depending upon which country I call).
Toollio
join:2003-11-17
Brazil/Cda

Toollio

I have this problem sporadically in more than one location. I experience it from time to time in Brasil using an Obi ATA and a Linksys PAP2T. I experience it in Canada using a PAP2T. I have experienced it on Dallas, Toronto and Montreal servers (less so on Dallas). That would pretty much rule out local or adapter-specific issues and server-specific issues. I have never been able to replicate it and it is random. I will make a call in which I do not hear the rinback tone, then make another one a few minutes later to the same or different number and hear the tone. Like others, I have found it to be less frequent in recent months, but seems to have returned to its former frequency lately.
real_goose
join:2001-04-13
Apollo Beach, FL

real_goose to Trimline

to Trimline
said by Trimline:

You may want to include the server you are using. I'm on Tampa and don't have this issue. Connected via PBX.

I'm also on Tampa and the only call I made today from my Aastra had dead air until the call was answered. I'll open a ticket.
DFW6
join:2013-03-23
North York, ON

DFW6

I am on Toronto2 and the issue has arisen intermittently. After a bit of research that suggested the router may be an issue, and forwarding port ranges being problematic, I put my device (Obi100) in DMZ and, so far, that seems to have worked.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

That's interesting; can anyone else confirm this? (Be sure your device is locked down tight!)
zm
join:2001-06-19
canada

zm to DFW6

to DFW6
Sounds like early media is broken/unreliable... quick search finds these, but there may be more:

»issues.asterisk.org/jira ··· SK-18987
»www.voip-info.org/wiki/v ··· ssinband

zm

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to DFW6

Premium Member

to DFW6
said by DFW6:

I am on Toronto2 and the issue has arisen intermittently. After a bit of research that suggested the router may be an issue, and forwarding port ranges being problematic, I put my device (Obi100) in DMZ and, so far, that seems to have worked.

That sounds like a pretty drastic measure. Personally, I would not put my ATA in the DMZ!

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

said by crazyk4952:

That sounds like a pretty drastic measure. Personally, I would not put my ATA in the DMZ!

Putting the OBi in the DMZ was a good move for troubleshooting. If I were to leave it that way, I would make sure that the OBi password was maximized. Administrator Password is case sensitive, so the password should be mixed case and maybe 14 characters or bigger. I don't know if special characters are allowed. Here is an example: tpoQD8tttO4igZ A password manager can make such passwords more bearable, but copy and paste can be workable.

It would be better to learn to open only the one port that the outside should be calling in on, and to use a protection method against SIP scanners that will scan that port.

In particular, I would not want port 80 open from the outside to the OBi-- which DMZ includes.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

said by StillLearn:

said by crazyk4952:

In particular, I would not want port 80 open from the outside to the OBi-- which DMZ includes.

Exactly. I wonder if there is a way to change the administration interface to a different port (other than 80). 80 is a bad port to have exposed to the open internet for an ATA.
tgitech
join:2005-05-13
Owings, MD

tgitech to Radar73

to Radar73
Same issue here. Had the problem many months ago, then it disappeared for a few months, and now it seems to have come back in the past week or so.

I also get dead air, I keep saying "Hello" for a few seconds to the dead air, and if the person on the remote end does answer, the call proceeds just fine.

I will open a ticket if I get a recurrence in the next few days.

ATA: SPA 2102 / ISP: Comcast HSI / VoiP.ms server: Atlanta with Premium Routing
Oceans11
join:2013-01-21
united state

Oceans11

Been experiencing the same issue here except the called party can hear the radio or any other background noise in the office while I only hear dead air. Checked settings on my PAP2T-NA tried using a OBI-202 and even used different server sites and got the same results.