share rss forum feed

boontonflyer

join:2004-07-05
Ringoes, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits

Comcast Monthly Data Usage

My Comcast Reported Monthly Data Usage has increased from ~~ 200 GB/month in our "extended family " household of six computer users (four adults & two grammar school aged children) to ~~ 290 GB / month. This is the average over the last four months according to the Comcast Data.

Cross-checked March 2013 Comcast Data Usage (which Comcast reported as 268 GB to date [ie March 1 to March 28, 2013]) by looking at the Data in the cable modem utility (ie 192.168.100.1).

I keep a spreadsheet of the data in the cable modem utility (ie. 192.168.100.1). Looking at the entries for March 2 to March 28, 2013 it shows a differential of :

~~ 6 X 10^10 Octets/channel. The four bonded channels would equal

~~ 6 X 10^10 octets times 4 channels = ~~ 24 X 10^10 Octets Total

It seems that if I can equate Cable Modem Octets to Comcast Data usage in GB that this loosely correlates to a usage of 240 GB over this period.

Is it technically correct to equate “Cable Modem Octets” to “Comcasts reporting of my data usage in GB ??

Paul

PS: I realize that the current 250 GB cap is currently not being enforced by Comcast but I'm trying to evaluate/ pin down the details of our increase in data usage in case Comcast decides to enforce the cap. I'm currently monitoring the delta in usage since two adults and two children are away for a week on "Spring Break" and that eliminates the major elements of the data usage (ie cell phones & Gaming traffic)!!

March 29, 2013:

Thanks everyone for your input. To sum up the current situation: No P2P/filesharing traffic. Grade schoolers play on Xbox or Minecraft on a Pc for a couple of hours a day. Current equipment is : (4) computers/ (4) iPads/ (2) Smartphones / (1) iTouch. Also have a SamKnows(TP Link white box ) that tests Comcasts performance every hour. Sam Knows has not been able to give me a reasonable answer as to the data used for this function.

With the "young adults/grade school children" away for a week I should be able to get a much better handle on where that data usage comes from.

Will add more info next week !!

Paul

3/30/13

Initial indications are that the data usage for just the "old folks" is about 4 GB/day (including the "SamKnows" data monitoring of Comcast). This would add up to ~~ 120 GB/month. Will have better data by Monday.

Paul

4/1/13

Final monthly figures for March (from Comcast account page) were 290 GB. Delta for last five days was 25 GB . That comes down to ~~ 5 GB/day (When two "young adults/two grade school age children weren't home). Am ascribing that as ~~ 1 GB/day (older adults) and 4 GB/day for "SamKnows" Performance Monitoring of Comcast. Have sent a msg to "SamKnows" asking for a reduced test routine to lower the current ~~ 120 GB/month Perf.Mon. portion.

Will have to monitor /control the other usage(s) to reduce that portion so that the account usage will fit into the 250 GB Comcast cap. If necessary could "resign" from SamKnows/FCC program to eliminate that usage entirely.

Thanks for your inputs.

Paul

FactChecker
Premium
join:2008-06-03

said by boontonflyer:

I realize that the current 250 GB cap is currently not being enforced by Comcast but I'm trying to evaluate/ pin down the details of our increase in data usage in case Comcast decides to enforce the cap. I'm currently monitoring the delta in usage since two adults and two children are away for a week on "Spring Break" and that eliminates the major elements of the data usage (ie cell phones & Gaming traffic)!!

It wouldn't be the cell phone or gaming traffic generating these traffic levels. The 300+ club (or 1%'ers) is a pretty exclusive club and most are avid file sharers downloading and uploading p2p video and warez software.

Unless you have a software developer working at home downloading iso's you may want to look at the computers for filesharing software which put's your network at risk as well if the kids/adults are moving around warez.
--
"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

said by FactChecker:

The 300+ club (or 1%'ers) is a pretty exclusive club and most are avid file sharers downloading and uploading p2p video and warez software.

Or any kind of heavy HD video streaming (Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and possibly YouTube.) 5 hours a day of legal HD streaming will put you over 250GB.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
reply to boontonflyer

said by boontonflyer:

Is it technically correct to equate “Cable Modem Octets” to “Comcasts reporting of my data usage in GB ??

The software I use to monitor bandwidth usage here, IOG »www.dynw.com/iog/, tracks the following OIDs on my router.

ifInOctets.2
ifOutOctets.2

These are SNMP variables that count octets passing through ethernet adapters.

So yes, tracking octets is a common way of determining bandwidth usage.

Note: Comcast reports total usage in both directions (up and down.)

FactChecker
Premium

1 edit
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

Or any kind of heavy HD video streaming (Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and possibly YouTube.) 5 hours a day of legal HD streaming will put you over 250GB.

Fair, but I expect the classic Neilsen family watching does not have perfect alignment to a cord cutter. You also have most cord-cutters with OTA DVR/Tivo's, viewing sports and news OTA, various bit rates and innovation around compression, etc.

This can easily cut that in half and keep people well under 250G.

--
"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy

easp

join:2007-08-29
Seattle, WA

Pish posh. The last thing we should be doing is justifying and trying to perpetuate the "caps."

Bulk bandwidth costs are pretty low, and most of the streaming video traffic goes through free peering.

I don't consider my household extrordinary. We never watched much broadcast TV and didn't miss it when the digital transition left our TV obsolete. We never had cable TV and aren't filesharers. And yet, our data usage has been bobbing around 250GB/month for the past year, with some months close to 300GB. I can only imagine what it would be like if we had teenaged kids.

"Innovation around compression" is ongoing, but tends to be deployed slowly. It certainly isn't going to come fast enough to keep a lot of people well under 250GB.

I doubt Comcast really wants to drive people to watching OTA news & sports to avoid overage either, lest people question whether they can make do with LTE built in to their devices, or at least a cheaper wired internet plan.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by easp:

I doubt Comcast really wants to drive people to watching OTA news & sports to avoid overage either, lest people question whether they can make do with LTE built in to their devices, or at least a cheaper wired internet plan.

That is by no means a sure bet. Remember when Comcast's only solution when someone exceeded their unpublished "soft" cap was to automatically terminate the HSI service?

They do seem to have gotten a bit more savvy these days, but all it would take would be a new CEO, and all bets would be off.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to FactChecker

said by FactChecker:

said by boontonflyer:

I realize that the current 250 GB cap is currently not being enforced by Comcast but I'm trying to evaluate/ pin down the details of our increase in data usage in case Comcast decides to enforce the cap. I'm currently monitoring the delta in usage since two adults and two children are away for a week on "Spring Break" and that eliminates the major elements of the data usage (ie cell phones & Gaming traffic)!!

It wouldn't be the cell phone or gaming traffic generating these traffic levels. The 300+ club (or 1%'ers) is a pretty exclusive club and most are avid file sharers downloading and uploading p2p video and warez software.

For some values of, "most".

I am the sole user of my connection. I run ~75 GB to 95 GB per month. If I had a household of four people streaming as I have been, my connection would be passing ~300 GB to 380 GB per month. It has been a couple of years since I was P2Ping anime; I just watch it as it streams, now. And some live action stuff that I never grabbed via BitTorrent.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

madbavarian

join:2013-03-05
Fremont, CA
reply to boontonflyer

I'm seeing 666 KByttes/sec when streaming Netflix in the highest quality mode that they deliver to Comcast. That would come out to 216 Gigs per month with 3 hrs/day viewing. that's darn close to the cap all by itself.

MSauk
MSauk
Premium
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to boontonflyer

I am constantly over 300 and into the 500gb a month club. We stream on a daily basis in HD but I also download and purchase quite a lot of iTunes movies that I download in HD and in SD.

I do no illegal sharing or download, all of it is streaming and legal downloads.
--
801 Images

teddystacker

join:2001-12-08
Philadelphia, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to boontonflyer

Things have changed a lot in the last couple of years , with all the legal streaming sources (some on HD) and 2-3 users in a household , its now really easy to exceed the 300 gig a month barrier - this is fact , with more and more households switching towards streaming services for content , we have not used our DVD player in a long while..

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to JohnInSJ

Or any kind of cloud backup (Carbonite anyone?). Upstream counts as well...

jeremiah2305

join:2013-03-21
Tacoma, WA

Yea with multiple users and with HD streaming people will be constantly in the 300-500GB range a month. That's why I'm wondering how they are going to try and implement the monthly limit once again with so many customers exceeding the value allotted.

boontonflyer

Ringoes, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to travelguy

My backup needs are furnished by a Windows Home Server so I don't resort to any significant "cloud backup". The only "cloud backup" used is about 2 GB of "Dropbox" files that I use on computers at my other daughter/son-in-laws houses for access to my personal files while away from home.

Paul

FactChecker
Premium

4 edits
reply to boontonflyer

Opinions on this debate depends on personal perspective.

Back in the days the early to mid 90’s (pre broadband) the commercial Internet had a split of customers. Most were email, file transfter, http (text and minimal graphics), and b2b communication. The web was just really getting going.

Then there were the online companies hosting web servers and usenet news feeds. Both companies wanted the “speed” of a DS3, but only the web/hosting companies actually used the full speed much of the day. While the cost of providing the speed of the DS3 circuit was similar, the cost of supporting each customer's usage end to end was very different.

20 years ago commercial ISPs created a differentiated billing model to provide each customer what they wanted, but also allocate the costs to support these services fairly across the customer base. Over the years the commercial world has evolved, but there is still a differentiation across customers that requires an equitable share in the overall cost of various products.

Now I understand why the 1% of 300G+ users wants the same bill as the 99% of 40G-200G users (ALSO using Netflix, HD video, backups, etc), but I don't think all the other users feel the same way.

--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by FactChecker:

Now I understand why the 1% of 300G+ users wants the same bill as the 99% of 40G-200G users (ALSO using Netflix, HD video, backups, etc), but I don't think all the other users feel the same way.

I don't think the "99%" even know how much/little data they move. Most I know care less about "how fast" their connection goes than about "how much" their connection costs. In any case, the larger cost is the physical plant in the "Last Mile". Moving data is cheap, but the Last Mile infrastructure is not.

I suppose we could ask the ISPs to bill "per person" instead of "per household", or the ISP might require the use of a proprietary RG, and bill per IP address issued by their RG. (I don't really like either of those ideas at all.)
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

boontonflyer

Ringoes, NJ

I "edited" my original forum entry at the top of this topic to show the figures at the end of March and how I plan to resolve the issue .

Thanks again,

Paul

FactChecker
Premium
reply to boontonflyer

said by boontonflyer:

and 4 GB/day for "SamKnows" Performance Monitoring of Comcast. Have sent a msg to "SamKnows" asking for a reduced test routine to lower the current ~~ 120 GB/month Perf.Mon. portion.

From »www.samknows.eu/index.php/en/faq#GQ6

How much bandwidth is used by the SamKnows tests?

The Whitebox testing schedule will result in approximately 3GB of downstream & 1GB upstream data usage per month.
--

boontonflyer

Ringoes, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

I had seen this link previously but thought that it is rather old and may not necessarily reflect their latest version of the "Performance Monitoring Software". Although my small sample/short check infers it is about 4-5 GB/day. Will advise what addn'l info they give me when they answer my new E-mail.

Thanks,

Paul

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to boontonflyer

I think it's fair to assume comcast isn't worried about any usage until they bring back the meter. Hopefully they don't stick to 300gb. That's not going to work.

OP - I don't think you should worry or try to restrict people until you find out the official number from comcast.

jagged

join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to boontonflyer

*ALL* of the costs Comcast incurs to handle, support, and upkeep the internet service are factored into your monthly bill first, before you even get to the end of that $48 or whatever it is.

When you cross that magical 250GB threshold all it does is lower the profit Comcast gets from you by a miniscule amount, compared to your neighbor who chats on Facebook and looks up the local paper online.

It's a made up threshold that has no basis. Caps exist only to drum up more profit:

- you pay once
- Netflix pays once to get to you
- you pay again for crossing the artificial cap - 10 times the $0.02 per GB your internet provider paid for bandwidth (network, support already paid by your monthly $50)
- Netflix pays again to by an artificial speed bump to get to you

It costs Netflix more money to obtain movie rights than to deliver the movie in HD - couple years or so ago it was around 4-5 cents to deliver an HD movie via broadband

boontonflyer

Ringoes, NJ
reply to boontonflyer

"SamKnows" has confirmed to me in an E-mail that the actual usage for the "Performance Testing" is 97 GB (download) and 22 GB (upload). That confirms my estimate (from Cable Modem Octet data) that the monthly is about 120 GB !!

Paul

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to FactChecker

so many assumptions in this post.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to boontonflyer

I have windows home server as well. I still push the contents of that to bitcasa for safe keeping.

boontonflyer

Ringoes, NJ

I also have another "backup" level. I have another 500GB drive that I periodically install in the WHS and backup the "absolutely essential" files on and usually store that in a safe deposit box at the bank.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to FactChecker

Come on ! Im at almost 700 Gigs a month, I have people who stream all day. Kid with Netflix on her ipad. Wife with Netflix and crackle on a roku. And my own addiction to crackle for Seinfeld we don't download anything illegally and we are cracking 700 gigs.

Dont generalize most as that, as the power users I know that are over 500 gigs all are avid streamers.

The Roku with international channels alone I have ticked at 150 gigs a month.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"