Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jagged

join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to boontonflyer

Re: Comcast Monthly Data Usage

*ALL* of the costs Comcast incurs to handle, support, and upkeep the internet service are factored into your monthly bill first, before you even get to the end of that $48 or whatever it is.

When you cross that magical 250GB threshold all it does is lower the profit Comcast gets from you by a miniscule amount, compared to your neighbor who chats on Facebook and looks up the local paper online.

It's a made up threshold that has no basis. Caps exist only to drum up more profit:

- you pay once
- Netflix pays once to get to you
- you pay again for crossing the artificial cap - 10 times the $0.02 per GB your internet provider paid for bandwidth (network, support already paid by your monthly $50)
- Netflix pays again to by an artificial speed bump to get to you

It costs Netflix more money to obtain movie rights than to deliver the movie in HD - couple years or so ago it was around 4-5 cents to deliver an HD movie via broadband

boontonflyer

join:2004-07-05
Ringoes, NJ
reply to boontonflyer

"SamKnows" has confirmed to me in an E-mail that the actual usage for the "Performance Testing" is 97 GB (download) and 22 GB (upload). That confirms my estimate (from Cable Modem Octet data) that the monthly is about 120 GB !!

Paul

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to FactChecker

so many assumptions in this post.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to boontonflyer

I have windows home server as well. I still push the contents of that to bitcasa for safe keeping.

boontonflyer

join:2004-07-05
Ringoes, NJ

I also have another "backup" level. I have another 500GB drive that I periodically install in the WHS and backup the "absolutely essential" files on and usually store that in a safe deposit box at the bank.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to FactChecker

Come on ! Im at almost 700 Gigs a month, I have people who stream all day. Kid with Netflix on her ipad. Wife with Netflix and crackle on a roku. And my own addiction to crackle for Seinfeld we don't download anything illegally and we are cracking 700 gigs.

Dont generalize most as that, as the power users I know that are over 500 gigs all are avid streamers.

The Roku with international channels alone I have ticked at 150 gigs a month.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"