Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to 34764170

MVM

to 34764170

Re: VMedia IPTV is Teksavvy planning on participating?

You guys understand the difference, sure, but some other people around here (and by "here" I'm generalizing all vmedia-related threads) clearly don't... The whole "vmedia is overpriced because Netflix is $8" argument is silly.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

Yeah I hear ya, that En Enfer fellow in the Canadian Broadband forums is being quite obtuse. He believes IPTV is a parralel service to NetFlix and should be as cheap.
said by 34764170:

Netflix is sometimes referred to as IPTV because it comes in over an IP network. Rogers / Comcast are now delivering VOD services over a hybrid QAM/IP setup and call it IPTV. But what is *usually* meant by IPTV is actual broadcast TV a la Bell FibeTV / Telus Optik TV / AT&T U-Verse.

Does that make it crystal clear?

I think I was pretty clear on it before hand but thanks for the further clarification.

I've referred to NetFlix has VOD service in another thread and that it is worlds apart from a true IPTV service where you get local news, public channels, live sports events, airings of current TV show seasons (not waiting til the boxed sets are out) and anything else a TV subscription gives you that NetFlix does not. NetFlix is more of supplement.

Well actually, its a digital replacement to BlockBuster really. It's a digital library.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned) to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

You guys understand the difference, sure, but some other people around here (and by "here" I'm generalizing all vmedia-related threads) clearly don't... The whole "vmedia is overpriced because Netflix is $8" argument is silly.

That's why I think it is ridiculous when some people seem to think Netflix can "replace" cable / sat.. it replaces some things people can watch with cable / sat but it is far from being a total replacement and in reality doesn't even come close. I can understand why some people might think it is good enough for their viewing habits but for plenty it is not.
deyraud
join:2009-04-04
Ottawa, ON

deyraud to Guspaz

to Guspaz
If you want carrier-agnostic IPTV you can try NationPhone. It's American IPTV for Ex-Pats. »www.nationphone.com/Prem ··· lan.html
But the problem here is that its so expensive that you might as well go back to Videotron -- it'll be cheaper

The cheaper, channel limited, mostly SD version is called ustvnow. »ustvnow.com/ (but on the flip side it works with XBMC!)