All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
ShetiPhian
join:2011-12-29
Belleville, ON

ShetiPhian to El Quintron

to El Quintron

Re: VMedia IPTV is Teksavvy planning on participating?

NBC, CTV, Fox, Discovery, Space

Those are the only channels I miss when I cut cable and went exclusively Netflix. (there was others but their basically all reality tv crap now)

CTV, Space and Discovery work out well as their shows are hosted on their sites. (most of them)
NBC and Fox though won't let Canadians watch (tried a few free unblockers but videos buffered poorly)

I'd love some form of IPTV or VOD that allowed me to choose only the channels I wanted. Why get 20+ when I don't care what is on the others.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

said by ShetiPhian:

Those are the only channels I miss when I cut cable and went exclusively Netflix. (there was others but their basically all reality tv crap now)

CTV, Space and Discovery work out well as their shows are hosted on their sites. (most of them)
NBC and Fox though won't let Canadians watch (tried a few free unblockers but videos buffered poorly)

I'd love some form of IPTV or VOD that allowed me to choose only the channels I wanted. Why get 20+ when I don't care what is on the others.

Probably the best you will see (until the Rules are changed) is apparently what Videotron has done in Quebec. They have a Skinny Basic where you it's literally only the channels that the CRTC has mandated be sold to every TV subscriber before they can order additional ones. Although I am unable to find reference to it on Videotron's site. Maybe Guspaz can fill in the exact details here. After that a TV provider could do a-la-carte, except in some situations some channels are bundled together with one or few others forcibly by the network selling them. Like the Movie Network, I don't think you can get any of those separately.
pwrsurge
join:2009-04-15
Canada

1 edit

pwrsurge to ShetiPhian

to ShetiPhian
said by ShetiPhian:

A C-band dish will get you all of those channels. NBC, CTV and Fox for free with no monthly fees on C-band FTA while Discovery and SyFy (i.e. Space US) are available as subscription services on HITS TV which runs off the same C-band dish.
ShetiPhian
Belleville, ON

ShetiPhian

said by pwrsurge:

A C-band dish will get you all of those channels. NBC, CTV and Fox for free with no monthly fees on C-band FTA while Discovery and SyFy (i.e. Space US) are available as subscription services on HITS TV which runs off the same C-band dish.

Can't have c-band here (assuming the large 8' dish), I helped several people remove their dish after receiving a letter from the city.
I looked into FTA a while back and unless your where "testing" you received only news and non English broadcasts.
Also looked into OVA but due to conflicting information I found I couldn't figure out if the signal was to far away or not.
pwrsurge
join:2009-04-15
Canada

pwrsurge

said by ShetiPhian:

said by pwrsurge:

Can't have c-band here (assuming the large 8' dish), I helped several people remove their dish after receiving a letter from the city.
I looked into FTA a while back and unless your where "testing" you received only news and non English broadcasts.
Also looked into OVA but due to conflicting information I found I couldn't figure out if the signal was to far away or not.

You only need a 6' dish for C-band satellite but I'm surprised the city sent a letter in regards to this. Personally, I would have appealed it as they have no right to dictate what a resident who owns their land can do on their property.

Please don't confuse FTA and satellite piracy as they are two totally separate things! With a medium sized 36 inch (90 cm) dish on Ku-band FTA satellite, you can receive about 300 channels with 85 in English including NBC East, Central, Mountain and West in HD. A complete list of channels is available at »kuband.fta.channels.drsat.ca
ShetiPhian
Belleville, ON

ShetiPhian

said by pwrsurge:

Please don't confuse FTA and satellite piracy as they are two totally separate things! With a medium sized 36 inch (90 cm) dish on Ku-band FTA satellite, you can receive about 300 channels with 85 in English including NBC East, Central, Mountain and West in HD. A complete list of channels is available at »kuband.fta.channels.drsat.ca

No confusion here, just personal disappointment.
I bought all of the equipment, never got anything set up as the instructions I was following ended up pointing me to sites to get keys. Not wanting to take part in that I went to a local satellite guy who tried to sell me cards. After finding some good resources I discovered I bought the wrong type of LNBF's and the list of English channels seemed to only be news. I quit after that.
That list looks better, maybe I'll pull my T90 out and put it back up.