join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone

Re: "The PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come"

said by Ghastlyone:

I know.

I just thought it was funny the guy in the article is comparing GDDR5 RAM in the Sony directly to DDR3 RAM in normal gaming PCs.

Yea that is a good one, sure the ps4 will use GDDR5, to bad for it I have that too and DDR3 both.

I have to admit though, these makers of consoles really know how to appease to the morons out there.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

Woody79_00

Premium Member

said by Cthen:

said by Ghastlyone:

I know.

I just thought it was funny the guy in the article is comparing GDDR5 RAM in the Sony directly to DDR3 RAM in normal gaming PCs.

Yea that is a good one, sure the ps4 will use GDDR5, to bad for it I have that too and DDR3 both.

I have to admit though, these makers of consoles really know how to appease to the morons out there.

Agreed.

I think its funny how they are making such a big deal out of this, A 7870 is more powerful and probably only costs half the price.

You could probably CrossFireX 2 7870's and still come out 20-30 dollars cheaper.

Thats not to mention the horrid 1.6 ghz AMD Jaguar APU, a low power chip they are using for a CPU...that CPU is a joke. I bet an Intel I3 Dual core would run circles around that CPU...if anything that CPU will be a bottleneck...i heard the Xbox is going to use something similar...how sad really...

The console makers really are masters of marketing....i'll give them that.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

said by Woody79_00:

r.

Thats not to mention the horrid 1.6 ghz AMD Jaguar APU, a low power chip they are using for a CPU...that CPU is a joke. I bet an Intel I3 Dual core would run circles around that CPU...if anything that CPU will be a bottleneck...i heard the Xbox is going to use something similar...how sad really...

Shh the fanboys will come in spouting "optimization", even though for all the ps3/360's "optimization" they still couldn't beat the 8800 and core 2 duo, which came around the same time as the ps3.

I do have to wonder though, why would they do that if its gonna bottleneck the gpu in it? didn't the 360/sp3 have one thread dedicated to the OS, or maybe it was one for a backup in case one of the other cores died. If this generation does the same thing they won't even have under-powered 8 cores to use just 6 or 7, making it even worse. Plus the whole recording and sharing/streaming will eat up some of the 8GB gddr5. I just don't get what the console makers are doing this gen. Its one thing to save money/put out less expensive products, but making them this under powered? we had cpus stronger than the i3 in '08.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to Woody79_00

Premium Member

to Woody79_00
said by Woody79_00:

I bet an Intel I3 Dual core would run circles around that CPU...if anything that CPU will be a bottleneck...i heard the Xbox is going to use something similar...how sad really...

I have an I3-2100 for my general use computer and it actually benches a tick faster than my older 750 Lynnfield. I really have never understood how any serious gamer is not using a computer. To me I can teach a monkey to push ABAB buttons all day long. I see consoles as something of a gimmick and little else. Master of marketing, indeed.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

1 recommendation

me1212

I blame the lowest common denominator games/gamers. I mean with a pc you have to learn how to actually be at least a tiny bit competent(aka learn how to install stuff like steam and/or drivers), with consoles you don't have to have any competency with pcs to play games. In this world where people will pay a technical service person >$100 just so they don't have to hook up component cables to the back of a tv themselves, because its too complicated, it shouldn't be a surprise.

And then theres the LCD games(cod and halo). They don't take any real skill on consoles, auto aim out the ass and all. It tricks them in to thinking they have actual skills with all the auto aim head shots, even when the player as aiming at say a leg or whatever and auto aim makes them look better. Every time a modern fps games comes out that doesn't do this and requires genuine skill the 'gamers' bash it as not like cod/halo.

Couple that with, like you say, the marketing(especially of the 360) and you have the crap we do now.