CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to snedo

MVM

to snedo

Re: Highway merging

A friend has a hatchback Ford (2013) can't remember the model and the brakes were VERY touchy - I nearly sent my head into the windshield when I drove it the first time. Way to touchy for me...
cjski
The Wheel Weaves As The Wheel Will
Premium Member
join:2001-01-04
Sun City, CA

cjski to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

On-ramps are intentionally designed for people to be at or near highway speed when entering.

...except for these fun little starting gates on the 110 FWY in Pasadena...

...but I know what you mean.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

1 recommendation

Lurch77 to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
Here's another annoyance that happened to me yesterday. Following a car onto the highway that just putts along and doesn't try to get up to highway speed. A line of cars stacks up behind me as we enter the highway. As soon as we hit the highway the cars behind me immediately cut over to the fast lane, and now I am stuck behind the slow car while everyone behind me passes us and doesn't let me over.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
opps dp
rody_44

rody_44 to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
You guys would hate PA. Most of our on ramps have speed limits of 25 mph with a cop sitting there equipped with radar. Of course we also have all them homemade wooden crosses where people didnt make it onto the highway.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

I'm all about doing whatever I can to help people out while I am in motion, and there are a large number of on-ramps here in the northeast US designed primarily for double A fuel dragster egress, so I brake so you can merge, lay back so you can change lanes, and so on and on - it just perplexes me when someone can get a decent run up to 60 or 65 they instead opt to fall in at 35 or 40. I just don't see how or why anyone would think that's a safe way to do business. Don't common sense, logic, and a small dollop of physics see the light of day in schools anymore? Sorry - dumb question.

More of stupid questions -- are people really that stupid? I know it's intimidating to see me close in on you with a snarling truck grill and two wiggling trailers, but geeeeez -- THINK people, THINK! Everyone is doing 60 - I guess I should go 40?

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Thinking takes to much effort for most people.

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine to ironweasel

Premium Member

to ironweasel
said by ironweasel:

I feel your pain.....I really do.

I drive local in straight trucks as well as tractor-trailer and I typically log about 1200 miles a week....I see all kinds of stupid stuff. Merging at less than highway speeds is pretty common as is the whole "haul ass to go around the big truck then cut in front of it and stomp on your brakes" thing.

When I got my CDL many years ago...my instructor imparted a small bit of wisdom on me when he said: "It's their job to merge, not your job to let them in." If I'm in the right lane and I have traffic to my left and someone is merging into my lane at 20 miles under what traffic is doing I don't stomp on my brakes to let them in....I just keep cruising. I ran one guy off the road once because he got next to my cab and just stayed there the entire length of the on-ramp....didn't try to speed up or slow down...ended up in the dirt on the end of the ramp.

As far as people slamming on their brakes after getting in front of you.....a quick downshift with the jake brake engaged and a couple taps on the air horn while a Kenworth T800 grill takes up their entire rear view is usually enough to get them to speed up or move over another lane.

I agree with Grumpy and you. As a fellow trucker I experience all of this daily. I also hate when a light changes red on a faster highway (45mph +) and for some reason lots of the cars in the left lane have to move to the right quickly cutting down your stopping distance.

On the highway its nicer when theres 3 lanes, I ride that center lane most of the time to avoid merging traffic. I also hate those that get on the on ramp at a slow speed or expect you to slow down. I was behind a old lady once who was getting up to speed on the on ramp ( a long on ramp at that) and at the top of the ramp she felt the need to come to a complete stop and look. I blew past on the right of her and merged fine. I hate trying to merge onto a highway from a stand still, in tractor trailer its dangerous.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Faster56

Premium Member

to Faster56
said by Faster56:

In California the bottom of the on ramp is frequently treated by drivers of cars with decent power as the start line and white flag for the start of the race. You see a lot of cars that hit the freeway going faster than the traffic they are merging with.

We have a ramp like that here.. well two of them.. One of them the merge lane is only 3 dashed lines before it merges from the traffic light and knowing CT drivers they do 80 in the first lane forcing you to slow down.. If you merge they blow their horn at you.

3 years ago I had a women try to speed up to get around me, I downshifted and went faster on the ramp (I was nearing 70 MPH) and I saw her in my side mirror she was PISSED she had to go behind me.. and it wasn't like I was being a slow poke on the ramp from the time she saw me.. I just know that ramp and how people are.
Subaru

Subaru to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Highways are so crowded in rush hour (and other times) that it can determine when there are gaps in traffic and let people go and merge. When I have had to use it in Columbus - it does work well. People need to accelerate but should not be a need to floor it.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramp_meter

quote:
Why are they effective?

Without ramp meters, multiple cars try to merge simultaneously. Drivers on the freeway slow down to allow the cars enter and these slower speeds quickly cause backups. If cars enter the highway in controlled intervals, they are less likely to cause a disruption to the traffic on the freeway. A short wait on the ramp allows drivers to increase their average freeway speed and shorten overall freeway travel times. Ramp meters also reduce the number of accidents that often occur when multiple vehicles merge onto the highway at the same time.
How do ramp meters work?

Ramp meters are part of a large computer-operated system that is managed in WSDOT's Traffic Management Centers (TMCs). Magnetic "loops" are embedded in the pavement that provide the TMCs with information about traffic flow, such as the volume and speed of vehicles on freeways and ramps. This traffic data is continually fed to the ramp meters, which automatically alter their cycles to maximize traffic flow on both the ramps and the freeways.

my first time seeing a ramp meter was when I was in WA state.. at the time however they were not active but this was like 7 years ago.. Pretty cool but CT drivers would pay any attention to them just how they roll tru stop signs and not care.

I swear man I want to pain some nails black and throw them out the window..
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

said by CylonRed:

Highways are so crowded in rush hour (and other times) that it can determine when there are gaps in traffic and let people go and merge. When I have had to use it in Columbus - it does work well. People need to accelerate but should not be a need to floor it.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramp_meter

quote:
Why are they effective?

Without ramp meters, multiple cars try to merge simultaneously. Drivers on the freeway slow down to allow the cars enter and these slower speeds quickly cause backups. If cars enter the highway in controlled intervals, they are less likely to cause a disruption to the traffic on the freeway. A short wait on the ramp allows drivers to increase their average freeway speed and shorten overall freeway travel times. Ramp meters also reduce the number of accidents that often occur when multiple vehicles merge onto the highway at the same time.
How do ramp meters work?

Ramp meters are part of a large computer-operated system that is managed in WSDOT's Traffic Management Centers (TMCs). Magnetic "loops" are embedded in the pavement that provide the TMCs with information about traffic flow, such as the volume and speed of vehicles on freeways and ramps. This traffic data is continually fed to the ramp meters, which automatically alter their cycles to maximize traffic flow on both the ramps and the freeways.

my first time seeing a ramp meter was when I was in WA state.. at the time however they were not active but this was like 7 years ago.. Pretty cool but CT drivers would pay any attention to them just how they roll tru stop signs and not care.

I swear man I want to pain some nails black and throw them out the window..

The street I lived on in Danbury, had no stop light and was between the on and off ramps at exit 8 for westbound 84... During rush hour it could be a 10min wait if you stopped or if you saw an opening you well... punched it and shot across all three lanes of US6 without even slowing for the stop sign.

The Neighborhood had petitioned multiple times to the state for a light(the state maintained that road.) So if we wanted a light we would cut through a closed gas station to a nearby road. When the reality company blocked off the entry points we just used a pickup truck and removed their barriers to keep access to a stoplight.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Ugh I remember having to take 684 to 84 it was like a friken race track.. that's why I love when I see my family in NC they still drive relaxed the same since I left in '97
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

684 is what I call the New York International Speedway. I have been tailgated on 684, while in the right lane and going 80.

the traffic circle in Danbury(that loop at exit 8) is just complete chaos.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

684 is what I call the New York International Speedway. I have been tailgated on 684, while in the right lane and going 80.

the traffic circle in Danbury(that loop at exit 8) is just complete chaos.

I've never seen a cop out on 684.. and you are right I've had one guy try to race when all I was trying to do was move around another person :-/

It's been awhile since I been to Danbury so I can't remember where the loop is, but I used to get off at Federal Rd all the time. I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.. it was a true pain in the ass to drive every day.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

The loop is Exit 8. Federal is 7 and that damn left exit if coming from southern points. such as that nightmare known as Rt. 7.

Federal will always be bad as it is pretty much box store central.

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
Had another thing I hate happen. Where the on ramp lane and off ramp lane are shared in between. I was trying to get into the lane and was slowing down as the curve is pretty tight and a guy in a SUV was coming onto the highway from the on ramp. Instead of getting up to speed and moving forward so I could move behind he traveled the lane until it ran out where it curves off, almost matching my speed as I tried to get down to 25 mph (exit posted speed for the curve) it seemed he was even slowing down with me, he finally gunned it soon as he saw he was running out of road and I slipped in barely.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
Oh I never had to go that far up, I haven't really been on rt 7 going into Danbury in awhile now since they finished doing the road construction.

I tell you I'm not sure which road but getting on Rt. 7 right after Danbury airport I think it's 684 merges onto rt.7 it's crazy and that far right lane is a exit only that area can be a little crazy as well.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

684 is in Brewster NY. rt 7 starts at Danbury and ends at 95 in Norwalk. However if you come over the Tappen Zee on 287 it is faster to take 684 to 84 if you need to reach the Danbury area.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Yeah that's what I used to do but whenever it rained I would stay out of Westchester because they never knew what a wet road does to a car who speeds, I swear I would always see 1-2 cars always spun out on the road, so in that case I would take rt. 7 all the way up to Danbury.. but in some cases you had to worry about flooding.

So glad I don't have to do this anymore.. It was so easy to drive 100 miles doing that haul a day.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to Faster56

Premium Member

to Faster56
said by Faster56:

And what state or state freeway are you driving on?

I live in Northern California, but this is everywhere in Cali I go .

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

684 is in Brewster NY. rt 7 starts at Danbury and ends at 95 in Norwalk. However if you come over the Tappen Zee on 287 it is faster to take 684 to 84 if you need to reach the Danbury area.

I was in this area day before yesterday because I needed to pass some drive cycles on my car so I figured this was the best place to do it.. So I see not much has changed.. at that bottle neck where Brewster and Rt.7 meet.. I saw that and said screw it and jumped on Rt. 7 to go home..

It was pretty tame yesterday I will admit.

Faster56
Premium Member
join:2013-03-09

2 edits

Faster56 to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
Duplicate post redacted
Faster56

Faster56 to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
said by Boricua:

said by Faster56:

Unfortunately certainly in California and from what I've seen in some other states a contributing factor are those high number of dickheads that are the fastest moving traffic that stay to the right and pass mostly on the right instead of staying left and passing on the left. Again their acts are made worse in high speed heavy traffic.

I am guilty of this and the main reason being you have "dickheads" who want to drive like miss daisy on the left lane (#1) so I have no choice but to use the right lane to pass.
I live in Northern California, but this is everywhere in Cali I go.

In good weather the single biggest danger on the freeway with lots of swiftly moving traffic is people passing on the right, especially at high speed.

In fact overall whether on the road or the race track one of the biggest danger is when there are cars in close proximity to each other that are traveling at significantly different speeds.*

If a car is traveling 65 in the number one lane it’s no big deal for the guy doing eighty and overtaking to move one lane to the right and pass and then move back into the number one lane. But staying in the number two lane or even much worse moving further to the right such as the number three or four lane is totally irresponsible and highly dangerous.

The fact that a guy in the left lane that is traveling at a slower speed even if it’s the speed limit than a car overtaking it that is the overtaking car’s driver’s problem not the “slower” moving cars problem. Passing on the right is inherently dangerous and the further to the right and the greater the speed of the passing vehicle the greater the exhibition of poor judgment and dangerous driving by the person on the right.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

said by Faster56:

The fact that a guy in the left lane that is traveling at a slower speed even if it’s the speed limit than a car overtaking it that is the overtaking car’s driver’s problem not the “slower” moving cars problem. Passing on the right is inherently dangerous and the further to the right and the greater the speed of the passing vehicle the greater the exhibition of poor judgment and dangerous driving by the person on the right.

Most states have laws that say keep right except to pass.
»www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Faster56
Premium Member

2 edits

Faster56

Premium Member

The Autobahn is world famous for the high speeds that many cars travel on it. Speeds in the 120 range are not uncommon and some go faster. Late at night some manufacturers of super high performance cars will exceed speeds at times of 200 MPH. And that can be on a four lane, (two lane each side) divided section. They will be passing big rigs going regular speed. See a danger there? The potential of a catastrophic wreck? Imagine that scenario here! But it works because even though there are no speed limits the number one rule for safety is slow traffic to the right and to put in in US terms pass on the left.

No problems because one of the strongest if not first rule of the road is slower moving traffic keep to the right and travelers take that rule very seriously. (Remember this is on a road where there is no speed limit.)

On the Toll Road/freeways in Baja Mexico they too are divided usually and two lanes in each direction. Signs are frequently posted that advise the left lane is only for passing. At least in Mexico people for the most part strongly adhere to that.

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

saillaw to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
The stretch of I-10 from Katy to San Antonio was built to torture me. It has way too much traffic for an interstate that is mainly 2 lanes in each direction.

On top of that you have the uniquely Texas attitude that "as long as I am going the speed limit I can drive in whichever lane I please.... All those signs that say 'stay right except to pass' be dammed."

So the left lane is full of inconsiderate asses who are doing exactly the speed limit. The right lane is full of trucks who have a slower speed limit. And in between you have all the cars who like to go 10mph above the speed limit but can't because the self righteous jerk is enjoying the freedom of being able to drive in what ever lane he pleases.

Add to that mix the nuts tailgating and working out their dreams of being a NASCAR driver on the interstate, and you end up having a stressful drive of random yo-yo stops, tailgating, and stress. You might as well chuck your cruise control out the window, you'll never get to use it.

My only solution is to put some SADE on the stereo and follow some big rig rig in the right lane while I chant to keep my pulse under control.

Faster56
Premium Member

Faster56

Premium Member

said by saillaw:

On top of that you have the uniquely Texas attitude that "as long as I am going the speed limit I can drive in whichever lane I please.... All those signs that say 'stay right except to pass' be dammed."

So the left lane is full of inconsiderate asses who are doing exactly the speed limit.

Overall I'm sympathetic to your plight that you describe in your entire posts and all of the specifics it contains.

But to simply play devils advocate and for no other reason and not to be argumentative or critical, a question: How would your respond to the argument or counterpoint that you are unhappy and many of the problems on the freeway are caused because people in the left lane refuse to break the law and exceed the speed limit and thus impair or at times stop those that want to speed by choice for their convenience and not only are the speeders by their speeding alone causing a more dangerous and illegal situation but it is the person speeding and passing on the right that is causing the greatest danger than the person obeying the law in the left lane?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
It's just as bad here.. in CT the I-95 speed limit is 55 MPH most state troopers are ok with you going up to 70 MPH.. any higher you are going to have issues..

Anyways what I notice is if I'm in the 3rd lane doing 80 (speeding yes) anyways I notice a lot of cars will still try to overtake you regardless how fast you are going.. So lets get crazy here.. say my starting speed was 80 MPH in the 3rd lane and the car behind me is 2-3 seconds behind me.. So I go 90 MPH.. why do they need to do that? it's not like I'm holding up traffic or anything.

And another thing Say you have 3 cars in a lane and one moves out (middle car) Why does the 3rd car that's now 2nd feel the need to speed up then only to end up braking to close the gap? I wish I had $1 for each time I saw that happen.

I was 684 today in NY and dare I say it.. it was a pretty easy drive given I went at around 9:30 AM on a Monday.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to Faster56

Premium Member

to Faster56
said by Faster56:

said by Anonymous_:

said by Faster56:

In California the bottom of the on ramp is frequently treated by drivers of cars with decent power as the start line and white flag for the start of the race. You see a lot of cars that hit the freeway going faster than the traffic they are merging with.

Yes sometimes IT IS NOT safe to stop if there is light traffic .

When there is light traffic with the signal going this could be a issue.

I'm only referring to ramps that either have no meter or if they do the meter is in the solid green mode.

Sometimes there is gaps in the traffic this is what I'm talking about the meter is still changing lights

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

Gripe #317 - I like to lay back 4 or 500 feet and not tailgate. The benefits are obvious and multiple. It's not only safer, but makes my day considerably less stressful.

After you pass me, please don't drop in 30' ahead of me at my exact speed. Now I'm tailgating -- dumbass. If I turn my highbeams on into your rear view mirror, you'll hopefully understand why.

Human nature - people love to travel in packs, whether they realize it or not. You'll have 50 cars in a 25 mile stretch of remote & far between cities open road, and there goes a clump of 6 or 8 or 10 of them doing 70 all 12 feet apart.