Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

4 edits

2 recommendations

Packeteers

Premium Member

benefit of the doubt

this makes a good story - too good. my guess is Antennas Direct is creating a controversy to drum up free advertising for those people sympathetic to rising cableTV rates who may already be on the verge of buying an OTA solution.

the fact is OTA station ratings keep dropping while cableTV only based station ratings continue to rise. compare any award show now to a decade ago, and you find far more cableTV shows are winning industry recognition than OTA stuff.

bigger budgets are also going to cableTV shows - consider high quality and authenticity "Game of Thrones" or "Boardwalk Empire" would have not been able to thrive into 3 season runs under today's typical OTA budget constraints.

Disclaimer: i do not have cableTV, i get my entertainment from OTA + Torrent(pirating), and would only pay for cableTV when it finally becomes a'la'carte - fully payperview - as i feel paying for content you will never watch is insane.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

said by Packeteers:

this makes a good story - too good. my guess is Antennas Direct is creating a controversy to drum up free advertising for those people sympathetic to rising cableTV rates who may already be on the verge of buying an OTA solution.

Yep, they can't pay for advertising but now a lot of people will know about them for free. Way to stick it to em Charter.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to Packeteers

to Packeteers
said by Packeteers:

the fact is OTA station ratings keep dropping while cableTV only based station ratings continue to rise. compare any award show now to a decade ago, and you find far more cableTV shows are winning industry recognition than OTA stuff.

OTA has crap like the big bang theory and 2 1/2 men, cable has the walking dead. yeah yeah cable has 16 years old knocked up but theres more choices on cable where has most ota "primetime" is sitcoms or "dramas" that have been done to death. OTA just doesn't have as much good tv.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS

Premium Member

"Good TV" is subjective. I personally can't stand The Walking Dead. If I could, I'd love HBO only so I can watch Game Of Thrones lol.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to bobjohnson

Premium Member

to bobjohnson
said by bobjohnson:

Yep, they can't pay for advertising but now a lot of people will know about them for free. Way to stick it to em Charter.

Actually MOST people won't know about the ad blocking by Charter. And MOST people won't care. Anyway, Charter has the right to refuse ads that would be bad for their business.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

Way to speak for MOST people. That's a big assumption.

Brian_M
join:2004-06-19
Manchester, GA

1 recommendation

Brian_M

You must still be young enough to believe that people are smarter and more informed than they Really are. I remember being that way back in my early-mid 20's. Oh, how things have changed with another 15~20 years of life experience.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to me1212

to me1212
It's funny you say that being that of the 9 series I have set to record only 1 of them is on a non-OTA channel (White Collar).

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

Packeteers

Premium Member

skip, beside personal tastes (some lady the other day told me she's so fed up with all forms of content that she keeps the food channel on all day and night), i thought about your point regarding my own torrent habits (torrent is the great equalizer as it makes no distinction from what source is came), and what i noticed is i'm now ignoring more ota show and discovering more cable shows to like. so many ota shows have become so formulaic and repetitive that even with new season content on, i just assume ignore them.

many like me have only known ota, so it takes a while for our ota content familiarity to migrate over to cable show content exploration. for example, i recently discovered "boardwalk empire" - and now i can't get enough of it. probably the best litmus test on how for me cable content has surpassed ota content is; if i was forced to limit my viewing time to only one hour per day, most of those hours each week would be spent on cable content - think about it
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to Packeteers

Premium Member

to Packeteers
'Too good' as in the whole thing is made up? Charter is not banning their ads at all?

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

Packeteers

Premium Member

no cxm, it just sounds similar to when a SodaStream ad lampooning Coke&Pepsi got barred from airing during the superbowl. SodaStream got more value in free advertising, news media coverage and viral marketing than 10 superbowl ad spots. for all we know SodaStream could have intentionally be trying to provoke such a response - any smart marketing executive would have loved to see things play out as they did.
mattmac
join:2011-03-27
West Palm Beach, FL

1 recommendation

mattmac to Packeteers

to Packeteers
So you're cool with Theft? Do you still cars in your spare time?
Get some money and pay for what you use!

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

2 recommendations

Packeteers

Premium Member

matt, i do appreciate your point

in my case i have never been a cableTV subscriber because i can't afford it, so if i was suddenly unable to torrent tomorrow, it's not like cableTV would get another paying customer. my torrent activity inspired me to upgrade from basic 3Mbps to standard 15Mbps ISP speeds, so my ISP - which also happens to be a cable company, is now getting 50% more money out of me per month than they used to thanks to my pirate activity.

is mine a moral justification to pirate content? of course not - but i sleep OK at night.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to Packeteers

to Packeteers
said by Packeteers:

The "ratings" are bogus, done by neilsons just to please their investors. Shows that get "high" ratings, imo, suck. Neilsons ratings are useless these days, since i can get content in so many other formats that they don't rate at all, and won't even consider rating(because it would make traditional television shows look like the utter shit they are). Ignore the "ratings", because they mean nothing at all to anyone, except the investors. Its a feel good system, not a true rating system. The internet is a true ratings system. Use rotten tomato, or some other user driven rating site to get some real reviews and thoughts on a show.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

Packeteers

Premium Member

chubby, you are getting confused here... ratings is for advertisers to figure out where to spend their ad dollars, and ad revenue on OTA programs is half what is was 10 years ago because they simply are not getting enough eyeballs anymore. rotten tomato is to help consumers figure out what to watch with their limited number of leisure hours - and when they are already pretty clueless about good taste or the latest hottest trends.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to Packeteers

to Packeteers
You only sleep okay at night until they come looking for you. If you have TWC/RR one should read their TOS/AUP for both companies.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
said by me1212:

OTA has crap like the big bang theory and 2 1/2 men, cable has the walking dead. yeah yeah cable has 16 years old knocked up but theres more choices on cable where has most ota "primetime" is sitcoms or "dramas" that have been done to death. OTA just doesn't have as much good tv.

OTA has Scandal, The Good Wife, Grey's Anatomy, Hawaii Five'0, Bluebloods, Chicago Fire....all EXCELLENT ONE HOUR DRAMAS. Why would I bother with anemic cable shows when I can instead watch these? Outstanding drama is why I have a TV in the first place. I hate sitcoms, sports, and all the junk shows (like Voice, the Taste, Dancing with the Stars) which are on both OTA and cable. But along with the junk are some truly outstanding dramas OTA. Plus, there is Ellen and Dr Oz both OTA.

1 recommendation

Bobo Bohanno to TBBroadband

Anon

to TBBroadband
Nobody is going to come looking for anybody. Copyright infringement isn't a criminal offense. The police aren't going to show up at your door because you were downloading a tv show.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 recommendation

cork1958 to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
said by me1212:

said by Packeteers:

Good tv?

You mean there's such a thing? TV totally sucks the big green one, IMO, no matter how you get it! Total waste of time and money, but darn wife won't let me get rid of it!

I think I'd prefer OTA as it at least doesn't have so many channels that are totally useless.