spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Probitas

@teksavvy.com

obviously misguided tech

Regardless of the "Neat-o!" effect of this tech, it's going to lead to accidents. The moment you take focus off something, everything else is blurred. And this will lend to tunnel vision, which is the worst thing you can have when driving. Eyes are supposed to be in motion while driving so you keep your mind active: I would say tunnel vision is almost the same as being hypnotized.

Watch for insurance companies to chime in at some point, refusing to cover clients who use such devices and get into accidents, claiming drive fault for not actively being involved in driving.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
2013 BMW 6 series has a HUD built into the glass.

I don't think it's banned in WV, just no one owns one.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Probitas
said by Probitas :

Regardless of the "Neat-o!" effect of this tech, it's going to lead to accidents. The moment you take focus off something, everything else is blurred. And this will lend to tunnel vision, which is the worst thing you can have when driving. Eyes are supposed to be in motion while driving so you keep your mind active: I would say tunnel vision is almost the same as being hypnotized.

Watch for insurance companies to chime in at some point, refusing to cover clients who use such devices and get into accidents, claiming drive fault for not actively being involved in driving.

Yes. Ultimately insurance companies can decide the case. If they refuse to write policies for those who use Google Glass, that will kill the devices for using them while driving.

While it doesn't seem much different than the Heads-Up displays that project info in front of the windshield used by some cars today, the data would need to be severely limited to not distract drivers. And I don't believe that Google cares at all what data would be displayed while driving, including msgs, videos, etc while the user was driving.

So, insurance companies and lawsuits would ultimately kill off Google Glass for drivers.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to Probitas
You've probably never seen an HmountD, but contrary to urban beliefs humans are able to concentrate on multiple fields of view at one time for situational awareness.

In any case if it can remove texting and talking so you don't have to take your eyes off the road this is more helpful, but it requires training, not the 30 minutes in the instructors wheel.

This is all transitional to card driving themselves anyways.

Think about it, when we were running in the fields did we have to worry about one lion or the pack.

Probitas

@teksavvy.com
A couple points. While hunting the food, humans normally did so in packs the same way wolves do it. Safety in numbers, and more than one person watching your back.

Driving is a SINGLE operator tech. No one else is going to point out the traffic you're about to drive into if you're focused on the you tube video being streamed. There is a reason parents scream at kids to shut it while they are driving: distraction.

And also, even before Google Glass, the rodes are full of people who think they know how to drive properly at high speed rates like they are A.J. Foyt, and sadly graveyards are full of those results.

Common sense is supposed to be common too, and I NEVER see evidence of that at all.

big_e

join:2011-03-05
reply to Mike
The HUD displays in cars are extremely limited in function to comply with state laws and to limit liability. You can't play angry birds, watch a video, or surf the web using the HUD built into a BMW.

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Mike
HUD was first introd on a BMW M5 back in 04-05 time frame I believe. Only displayed speed and RPMs I think.

Any sort of distraction being radio console, phones or something in the windshield is a distraction and should not be allowed in cars period. Humans have prevent time and time again that we are not competent to multi task and drive at the same time. Technology is a kewl thing, however for driving, people need to be focused on driving, and there surroundings. Leave all the other stuff to passengers when they are riding or pull over if your alone or people just need to find patience and wait till they arrive. People are so impatient. My 2 cents.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
GM had a B&W HUD in 1988 and color HUD in 1998. My 2001 Pontiac Bonneville had a HUD display.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-up_di···omobiles