Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

1 recommendation

carpetshark3

Premium Member

Facebook phone

»techcrunch.com/2013/03/2 ··· d-phone/

Article states that if a called party doesn't have the FB phone, FB will use regular network.

If the FB phone uses regular network, where does the info about caller, time, location go? Will FB have all of that info besides whichever carrier it uses?

I don't think I want FB to have my phone number, or any info to pass out to advertisers.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by carpetshark3:

I don't think I want FB to have my phone number, or any info to pass out to advertisers.

Odds are they already do

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

goalieskates to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3
dib22 is probably right, but this is just another reason to loathe Facebook.

People who join do so by choice. The rest of us who don't join get used (and sold) anyway, without any protections from FB's TOS du jour or any consent, implied or otherwise. Puke.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by goalieskates:

...but this is just another reason to loathe Facebook.

I have a list and I've checked it twice

CCat
We're all quite mad here
MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland

2 recommendations

CCat to carpetshark3

MVM

to carpetshark3
It will send 3 copies of your message.
One to your recipient, one to facebooks server, and one to Bob.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

No doubt sheeple will be lined up around the block to buy a FB phone though. "They're sooooo cool!".

CCat
We're all quite mad here
MVM
Wonderland

CCat

MVM

Of that I have no doubt, whatsoever.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3
And I bet any FB phone will have this feature

»Facebook testing a 'nagging' feature for iPhones and iPads

CCat
We're all quite mad here
MVM
Wonderland

1 recommendation

CCat

MVM

It will, but now it will have audio too (with Darth Vaders voice).

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

. o O ("Use the Force FaceBook Luke...")

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3
I don't know how much money Facebook would have to pay me to use a Facebook phone, but it would be a lot.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to carpetshark3

MVM

to carpetshark3
"I don't think I want FB to have my phone number, or any info to pass out to advertisers." You've got to be kidding! You really aren't so naive as to think that this info is just a small amount of what they have already? Never sign up for FB and you'll never have to worry about what they have...maybe.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3
Except for "unlisted" numbers, land-line phone numbers are already openly published by Telcos in a way that links to owners' name and address. So the moment that a Facebook call is directed toward a "regular network" phone number, a link is established between the FB phone account (as well as the FB phone's user information, including location) and those phone-listing details of the person called (as well as how often calls are placed and when). It wouldn't take much to build a pretty fair linkage tree, based on merely that kind of info and just a little computer-based database correlation.

The really cool thing is that if you take such a FB-related call on your land-line phone, you immediately get linked into any such database related to the FB caller... including, potentially, all the data known about him (likes, dislikes, where he's been, what he does, etc) and all the phone-listing data about you (name, location, phone number, and any other data listings tied into any of those). Result: a kind of instant social network with no opt-in or opt-out capability for those being called.

Of course, Facebook would never, ever do anything of the sort to link such information. And, of course, neither would Bob ever sift FB's records to do it. Unless, as dib22 See Profile noted, they both already do...

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

Unless, as dib22 See Profile noted, they both already do...

Nah, only tinfoil hat wearers think that
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

Zach to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3
I'm sure glad I've practiced being an anti-social, anal retentive privacy minded asshole all of these years. These days, I've given up on tin foil hats and moved on to metal trash cans with eye holes.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to StuartMW

to StuartMW

Oh yeah,i have no doubt of that!

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

Re: Facebook phone

Don't have a land line. Cell only. I was asking about cell since the phone is an android.

I'm wondering how they intend to market the phone. Every carrier allows FB. It's included on a lot of phones. You can root to get rid of it. If it's a FB phone, probably not.

TMO had a spate of text spam a while ago. Everyone was getting one of those "you have won - blah,blah, blah."
In spite of this:
»www.fcc.gov/guides/spam- ··· nd-email

Google syncs everything (or tries to get you to) including address book and contacts. If FB syncs all that, it means that your contact info would be available to FB, even if you don't have an account.

Google is bad enough, but you can avoid syncing most of the time.