me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to Packeteers

to Packeteers

Re: benefit of the doubt

said by Packeteers:

the fact is OTA station ratings keep dropping while cableTV only based station ratings continue to rise. compare any award show now to a decade ago, and you find far more cableTV shows are winning industry recognition than OTA stuff.

OTA has crap like the big bang theory and 2 1/2 men, cable has the walking dead. yeah yeah cable has 16 years old knocked up but theres more choices on cable where has most ota "primetime" is sitcoms or "dramas" that have been done to death. OTA just doesn't have as much good tv.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS

Premium Member

"Good TV" is subjective. I personally can't stand The Walking Dead. If I could, I'd love HBO only so I can watch Game Of Thrones lol.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to me1212

to me1212
It's funny you say that being that of the 9 series I have set to record only 1 of them is on a non-OTA channel (White Collar).

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

skip, beside personal tastes (some lady the other day told me she's so fed up with all forms of content that she keeps the food channel on all day and night), i thought about your point regarding my own torrent habits (torrent is the great equalizer as it makes no distinction from what source is came), and what i noticed is i'm now ignoring more ota show and discovering more cable shows to like. so many ota shows have become so formulaic and repetitive that even with new season content on, i just assume ignore them.

many like me have only known ota, so it takes a while for our ota content familiarity to migrate over to cable show content exploration. for example, i recently discovered "boardwalk empire" - and now i can't get enough of it. probably the best litmus test on how for me cable content has surpassed ota content is; if i was forced to limit my viewing time to only one hour per day, most of those hours each week would be spent on cable content - think about it
mattmac
join:2011-03-27
West Palm Beach, FL

1 recommendation

mattmac

So you're cool with Theft? Do you still cars in your spare time?
Get some money and pay for what you use!

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

2 recommendations

Packeteers

Premium Member

matt, i do appreciate your point

in my case i have never been a cableTV subscriber because i can't afford it, so if i was suddenly unable to torrent tomorrow, it's not like cableTV would get another paying customer. my torrent activity inspired me to upgrade from basic 3Mbps to standard 15Mbps ISP speeds, so my ISP - which also happens to be a cable company, is now getting 50% more money out of me per month than they used to thanks to my pirate activity.

is mine a moral justification to pirate content? of course not - but i sleep OK at night.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

You only sleep okay at night until they come looking for you. If you have TWC/RR one should read their TOS/AUP for both companies.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
said by me1212:

OTA has crap like the big bang theory and 2 1/2 men, cable has the walking dead. yeah yeah cable has 16 years old knocked up but theres more choices on cable where has most ota "primetime" is sitcoms or "dramas" that have been done to death. OTA just doesn't have as much good tv.

OTA has Scandal, The Good Wife, Grey's Anatomy, Hawaii Five'0, Bluebloods, Chicago Fire....all EXCELLENT ONE HOUR DRAMAS. Why would I bother with anemic cable shows when I can instead watch these? Outstanding drama is why I have a TV in the first place. I hate sitcoms, sports, and all the junk shows (like Voice, the Taste, Dancing with the Stars) which are on both OTA and cable. But along with the junk are some truly outstanding dramas OTA. Plus, there is Ellen and Dr Oz both OTA.

1 recommendation

Bobo Bohanno to TBBroadband

Anon

to TBBroadband
Nobody is going to come looking for anybody. Copyright infringement isn't a criminal offense. The police aren't going to show up at your door because you were downloading a tv show.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 recommendation

cork1958 to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
said by me1212:

said by Packeteers:

the fact is OTA station ratings keep dropping while cableTV only based station ratings continue to rise. compare any award show now to a decade ago, and you find far more cableTV shows are winning industry recognition than OTA stuff.

Good tv?

You mean there's such a thing? TV totally sucks the big green one, IMO, no matter how you get it! Total waste of time and money, but darn wife won't let me get rid of it!

I think I'd prefer OTA as it at least doesn't have so many channels that are totally useless.