uniqs
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul to viperpa33s

to viperpa33s

Re: Use to be the other way around

said by viperpa33s:

Years ago it was cable that was a direct threat to the antenna. Always had to move the antenna around to get good reception, and you would be out of luck if a storm came through. Now that technology has advanced the antenna, the cable companies are now fearing it.

Antenna reception is still extremely flaky. My friend dumped cable a few years ago and put up an antenna. He's always having problems with it. In bad weather, he sometimes loses channels. He's always replacing the connectors because they get wet and start affecting the image quality. Where the old analog system would just give you a poor picture if there were reception problems, digital becomes completely unwatchable.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

said by Rekrul:

Antenna reception is still extremely flaky. My friend dumped cable a few years ago and put up an antenna. He's always having problems with it. In bad weather, he sometimes loses channels. He's always replacing the connectors because they get wet and start affecting the image quality. Where the old analog system would just give you a poor picture if there were reception problems, digital becomes completely unwatchable.

Looks like someone doesn't know how to set up an antenna or how to properly connect Coax cable.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

2 edits

aaronwt to Rekrul

Premium Member

to Rekrul
said by Rekrul:

said by viperpa33s:

Years ago it was cable that was a direct threat to the antenna. Always had to move the antenna around to get good reception, and you would be out of luck if a storm came through. Now that technology has advanced the antenna, the cable companies are now fearing it.

Someone didn't have their system installed properly. I installed my two antennas nine years ago outside my condo, with a pre-amp mounted on one. I've never had any issues with connectors going bad or channels going out from bad weather.

Even in the early seventies, we never had any issues when bad weather came through at my parents house. The OTA signal was fine. My dad still has a rooftop antenna that has been up for decades. It still works prefectly fine bringing in all of the digital stations.
HiDesert
join:2008-08-17

HiDesert to Rekrul

to Rekrul
Totally depends on location. Yep, digital can be finicky. Unlike analog digital is "line of site" and highly directional in nature. I'm lucky that in Albuquerque all the antennas are in the same location on top of the Sandias (11000 feet) and Albuquerque is around 5k-6k feet. I'm able to use a couple of cheap flat indoor antennas (they look like black books) and you don't even notice them near my two TV's. I have an unobstructed view of the Sandia's from my house and have no problem keeping the 80 percent signal lock to watch OTA. If you have issues there are two rules: Go higher on the antenna and bigger. If the OTA stations are in different directions you will need to rotate as well since digital is highly directional and you need to lock in around 80 signal strength. Its all or nothing with digital unlike analog. I cut my dish about 4 years back and I have saved over 3500 dollars and don't miss it. Got tired of paying Disney huge carriage fees for ESPN and not being able to anything about the carriage extortion from all the channel bundling. Our Government does noting to regulate it and it leaves only one option to protest which is to cut the cord.