Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

OTA is useless

I get better content with pay TV. I watch old episodes of Home Improvement on TV Land that I have a series recording set on my DirecTV Genie. There is a lot of good content on pay TV.

As for competing providers, I see ads for Comcast (mainly on local channels) on my shiny new DirecTV system. I might also see an ad for Dish Network on DirecTV once in a while. At least I don't have to see the annoying ads that Comcast played endlessly for Taylor Swift and her new album red being played over the national feeds. And I have seen ads for both Dish and DirecTV when I had Comcast.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.
Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Re: OTA is useless

Lets be clear here....

OTA is useless FOR YOU.
clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN
OTA is useless to people who are stuck on the entertainment companies' teat.

If you can justify the cost of Pay TV because of reruns of Home Improvement, I don't think there's anything anyone can do to help you.

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

said by clone:

If you can justify the cost of Pay TV because of reruns of Home Improvement, I don't think there's anything anyone can do to help you.

He drank the Kool-aid

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
said by clone:

So what are my options for TV, all we have here is OTA (6 or so channels), Comcast, DirecTV and Dish Network are all the TV options in my area.

Also what is the trend in TV entertainment these days.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.
clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

The entertainment I like best doesn't involve TV, so I couldn't tell you!

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
I could justify pay tv from movies and new shows like the walking dead, but lol seriously, home improvement? He should just buy home improvement on dvd

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16
said by clone:

I’m a TV junkie and in addition to watching a lot of TV, I spend a lot on both the programming and hardware as well. It’s my hobby. Digital entertainment and media consumption is what makes me tick. Some people enjoy rebuilding cars or customizing high performance vehicles and stick tons of money into those hobbies. Are those hobbyists, or are those people who are ‘stuck on the automotive industry’s teat’.

Personally, and this is the only area I’ve ever agreed with IowaCowboy but for different reasons, OTA TV is for the most part not only useless, but a massive waste of spectrum. I have yet to see any compelling content on OTA TV, aside from sports, and that’s pretty much limited to FOX, NFL on CBS and SNF on NBC. NYPD Blue was as close as it came for me. There were some short lived series I liked that I couldn’t miss like Jericho and Chuck. There’s some series now that I absolutely must watch like Blue Bloods and 2 Broke Girls but the rest ehhh. I don’t have cable to catch Home Improvement reruns. It’s about the new critically acclaimed series that really push entertainment. My current three favorite series are on three different premium cable networks, Game of Thrones, Homeland and Banshee. Not only due to the content, but just due to the pure genius of the writing and plot lines of these shows, you’ll never seen anything at in the same ballpark on the big four networks. FX, A&E, AMC and others also have some terrific original content. American Horror Story is a masterpiece, The America’s is phenomenal, while I don’t watch it, Sons of Anarchy has a strong following. This is content that will never been found over the air.

Judge shows, game shows, tabloid shows, late night shows, that’s the majority of what ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX are. Sprinkle in about 5 or 6 hours of local and national news a day, some soap operas and stuff like Dr. Oz and that sums up OTA TV. The networks are so damn quick to dump primetime shows after a two or three weeks due to ratings, there really is no point in investing time into watching a show that will never have a conclusion. And when series on cable end, I tend to feel as if a chapter in my life has ended as well. Watching the final episode and saying goodbye to The Soprano’s or The Fishers (Six Feet Under), I felt like I was saying goodbye to a member of my own family. Watching the series finale of CSI:Miami or even Chuck, which I liked a lot, did not give me that same feeling.
--
Dale Jr, Riding Daddys Coattails Since February 18, 2001!
ncbill
Premium
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

The most watched shows are still by and far on broadcast (OTA) TV.

Personally I have no use for any 'reality' show but those still bring in the bucks for the old-school networks.

It's easy enough for me to get free OTA plus pay for whatever cable shows I want commercial-free via Amazon Video (or iTunes) - still costs a fraction of paying for 'digital cable' each month.

Steve Mehs
Premium

Well popularity isn't everything, and it just proves people will take whenever they’re spoonfed. I mean for godsakes look no further than Apple. Millions of people buy subpar devices, because they have a shiny fruit on the back. Do you really expect the average person that thinks an iPhone is the best thing ever, to be able to understand serial dramas with multiple integral plotlines? Shit like CSI and Law & Order is popular because it’s simple for simple minded folk. Network TV is full of cookie cutter TV shows that have no depth or imagination. Criminal Minds may be the exception to that, but even that show is hit and miss lately.

I will not watch the reality shows on the networks, but I am entertained by Honey Boo Boo, Hoarders and Extreme Couponing. I’m a pretty fucked up individual, but watching those shows makes me not feel so bad about my own life when put into comparison of the other freak shows out there. Watching Storage Wars and Pawn Stars and their various spinoffs is something I also find entertaining, as I usually learn stuff as well.

For the amount of content that I consume, I would be paying almost the same amount on a yearly basis, if I paid per episode for each show that I watch. And I would lose a lot of content. PTI and Sports Nation on ESPN is a daily ritual for me, Jim Rome, the NY Yankees baseball, Buffalo Sabres Hockey. Live lookins like NFL RedZone, MLB StrikeZone, ESPN GoalLine and NHL On the Fly on NHL Network. This is stuff that can’t be had on Amazon on anywhere else but cable or satellite.

Plus there’s the whole quality issue. How many of the paid downloads of TV shows come with a Dolby 5.1 audio track? I did not invest upwards of $2,000 in a top of the line Home Theater Receiver and 7.1 speaker set up to listen to everything in matrixed stereo .
--

Corehhi

Bluffton, SC

said by Steve Mehs:

Plus there’s the whole quality issue. How many of the paid downloads of TV shows come with a Dolby 5.1 audio track? I did not invest upwards of $2,000 in a top of the line Home Theater Receiver and 7.1 speaker set up to listen to everything in matrixed stereo .

$2,000 isn't even mid range in my world. Just saying.

Steve Mehs
Premium

That's fine. I just wanted a decent A/V Receiver with decent speakers. I'm not an audiophile but enjoy higher quality audio. And I'm sorry that shit you get with downloaded content is not of any sort of quality. My area is not large enough to put in large tower speakers in a 7.1 configuration or I would have bought a bunch of Klipsch RF-62 IIs and one of their $600-$700 subs. My Sony ES receiver is awesome, and the speakers I purchased were Sony as well. I am aware that Sony doesn't make the best home speakers, but they're decent for what they are and even better than I thought they would be.
--

Corehhi

Bluffton, SC

Actually my sub is a Klipsch 12 inch, very nice sub.
ncbill
Premium
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
Sure, like I said, I have no use for 'reality' shows, but in the aggregate broadcast TV is still raking it in for the networks, much more so than any cable show.

What can I say, I like saving money - I'd have to buy at least 400 HD (600 SD) cable shows a year (in addition to what I record OTA) via Amazon to equal the minimum annual cost for digital cable here.

And if you value video quality you should be watching those events that are broadcast OTA via an antenna - cable & satellite providers ALL compress to some extent.
axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
OK.. that's like saying non-toll roads are useless, if you can get everywhere faster on a toll road.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by IowaCowboy:

I get better content with pay TV. I watch old episodes of Home Improvement on TV Land that I have a series recording set on my DirecTV Genie. There is a lot of good content on pay TV.

As for competing providers, I see ads for Comcast (mainly on local channels) on my shiny new DirecTV system. I might also see an ad for Dish Network on DirecTV once in a while. At least I don't have to see the annoying ads that Comcast played endlessly for Taylor Swift and her new album red being played over the national feeds. And I have seen ads for both Dish and DirecTV when I had Comcast.

You don't have to keep telling everyone that you're a dumbass that likes forking over every last dollar you have to one corporation or another. Everyone knows that by now.
HiDesert

join:2008-08-17
said by IowaCowboy:

Your still paying too much for what you get. Its because of channel bundling and how content owners like Disney can extort higher carriages from lesser viewed channels by tying them to popular ones like ESPN which has the highest carriage.. like 5 bucks for ESPN. Sports carriages are very high and are bundled with just about all packages.. Only the most bare minimum local packages can strip the sports channels out of the picture.. Carriage extortion is not fair and allows for crappy content to exist. Content should be priced based on merit and popularity (competition remember that one? ) But with bundling and extorting carriages by tying crap to good content you end up paying too much for what you get. Our politicians have all been bought and paid for to keep this model in place. I am one that can afford cable but absolutely refuse to because of the ethical issues involved. I do not like being ripped off. TV is a bit too sensory for me being it reduces creative thought.. Just bombards one with entire visual and audio presentation. Even listening to the radio is more entertaining for me since I am imagining the visuals and thinking more. Don't have to think to watch TV.