uniqs
share rss forum feed

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

Port Landline Number as Virtual on Cell?

A friend of mine in Maryland (301) is looking to can his landline. He's had that number for over 30 years and his cell for over 15. What he would like to do is have the landline number ported to his cell, but as a virtual additional number that rings it...*not* as a second line. This is available on landlines (I converted my old second line to a virtual number when I dropped it; costs $4.75/mo here in DC 202 land).

Does anyone know if this can be done in his area? Specifically, what should my friend ask for? And, any idea what the cost would be? He called them a few days ago and the rep kept trying to get him to port his landline to a full, additional phone on his account. Rep couldn't grasp the concept of "virtual number" or even "second line on the existing phone number."
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL
That's probably because most cell phone providers don't have anything called a virtual number. These are sometimes available from voip providers, which technically is just a DID that rings to your primary number. To my knowledge, I don't know of any cell phone provider that does anything with virtual numbers.

My best advice would be to look into something like vonage or ooma or another voip company that can provide that service.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
reply to DC DSL
have him call his land line provider. They will probably do it for a fee each month.

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

1 recommendation

reply to DC DSL
Don't know of a way to add a virtual number on a cell account. I would like to consolidate and add one to mine! A DID provider is probably the cheapest route. It's possible to port to GV but the number must first be ported to a cell provider and then to GV. A friend of mine used a second hand pre-pay phone to get his number from Qwest/Centurylink and then moved it to GV. Seemed like a PITA to me but it worked for them.
--
Zach

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to DC DSL
I believe you can use Google voice for something like this it's very easy with sprint.

rblenkhorn
Premium
join:2003-07-15
Bangor, ME
reply to DC DSL
google voice would work, to port the number and then just have the number forward to cellphone from google voice portal

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
You can't port a landline to GV.

pete1980

join:2013-01-16
Hamburg, NY
reply to DC DSL
In my opinion, the way to do this (if your friend already has a family plan) would to do what the rep suggested and add it as another phone on his account. This would amount to $10 a month. I would just take an old phone and activate it with the landline number. Once it is active, it can be forwarded to his cell number, making it effectively do the same thing as a virtual number.

If your friend has one of the new share everything plans, this would be a bit more expensive at $30 a month...and I would look into other options.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
Looked into that. Several reps said that for an additional line you can't port a number to it...have to take whatever they give you. Porting only is only allowed for the main (billing) number. At least that's what they were saying.

At this point it's moot. My friend canceled the landline when he sold his house.

And, I also discovered, VZ also no longer is offering "Distinctive Ring" on landlines. Those of us who have it can continue with it for now, but if we ever move or change our service, we'll lose it.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."