camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

Another reason for more OTA is...

... the proliferation of sub-channels now that the TV broadcast world has gone digital. For example, WPIX in New York City now broadcasts, in addition to the WPIX main channel, AntennaTV and ThisTV on sub-channels.

Another local station carries the 24-hour news channel from Japan in English (NHK Newsline) on a sub-channel.

Broadcast television has changed since the conversion to digital broadcasting, and that change has allowed a far wider range of content to be broadcast.

I know two people who ditched their cable and put up an antenna once they discovered the number of different channels they can now receive OTA.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

ThisTV has had some cool movies, but almost every other subchannel has been worthless from my point of view. The MHz networks, including NHK, CCTV, RTV, AlJazeera have been an exception; though really I don't watch new shows, national or international.

There are a lot of different PBS channels here, but the main channels are what I'd watch and not the sub-channels.

One useful thing, for people with 20 year old TVs, is sub-channels with SDTV format so that things aren't down-converted. Again, doesn't help me