On 2 different computers using Windows 7 and the latest Chrome, my partner and I both notice times when Chrome (apparently) seems to lock up the computer so that there is no response to clicking or severely delayed in a keyboard buffer. We are both on the same wifi, (just tested and speed is OK, but I have seen where a slow connection can make the entire computer behave slowly)... but on totally separate computers.
Research I've done on this takes us back to the Shockwave Flash Plugin conflict issue in Chrome where the user needs to disable one of the 2 plugins found in about:plugins (disable the one saved in App Data directory). However, I had already done that change months ago when Shockwave crashes in Chrome were happening many times a day. Partner hadn't done that yet so he's changed it now. In recent days I've seen a few Shockwave has crashed errors...but mostly just seeing the long "hangs" that eventually clear themselves up in Chrome.
I've also tried disabling some Extensions.
Any ideas? I know there's not a lot of Chrome talk on these forums...where do you post your Chrome issues? (that google world can get kind of huge...i trust this site more...i've been here forever.) -- YOU can help reduce poverty, sustainably. »www.kiva.org/lender/kenandart
As it says in the video, Chrome apparently recreated the Local State file after I restarted. In Windows Explorer, the list shows the "type" as "File" (not Txt)...however I am able to open the file with Notepad to see it. Inside the file the line regarding the timeout setting, that I had deleted earlier, is there again. So I don't know if making this change made any difference or not.
Also, in that folder (Username/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/UserData) there was and is a file called Local State.bad dated 1/20/2011. I don't recall ever creating such a file, but it was there before I made any changes today.
koam , .\Local State file doesn't have extension. Thus, you want to keep it that way. Exit browser, drag-n-drop the file into Notepad, edit value next to plugin_message_response_timeout (e.g. to 10000) and save. Then start browser and see if there is any difference. Saving file with .txt extension helps nothing, except to keep a copy of it to compare with similar file later. Disclaimer: I don't know if changing that value will help you on not, but you may try it. And BTW, you may save old file under any different name and restore it back at any time later if you need. In any case you can change the file only if all instances of your browser do not run (and therefore, don't use it).
-- Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...
The file didn't have to be txt as the guy in the video seemed to think. Also, after I had restarted, there was no txt version of the file and the file had reverted to its original version with the 30000 value in it.
So now I've done as you suggested and the file is there and has retained my changes. Thanks -- YOU can help reduce poverty, sustainably. »www.kiva.org/lender/kenandart
I guess the value is a timeout in milliseconds. After that browser should continue its normal operations without locking itself on getting reply from plugins. You may try values somewhere between 5 - 10 sec (5000 - 10000) and see if it helps. -- Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...