spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

antimelih

@dtra.mil

Is Kevin McAleavey still working on the Secure OS project?

If so then what is it's status?
Can it be bought or downloaded?

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

»www.knosproject.com/
»www.knosproject.com/forum.html

Seems a little quiet...

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to antimelih

I have known Kevin since the 80s (I was on his BBS) -- He has had some excellent ideas over the years -- His Idea about loading his OS from a disk is ingenious! (Take the same OS whereever you go,no matter what OS is on the computer you can simply load his!!)

I wonder if that could be done WITH ANY OS?? (I reckon it could)

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium
join:2004-03-06
EU
kudos:3
reply to antimelih

Re: Is Kevin McAleavey still working on the Secure OS project?

Just drop him a line: »/profile/898206

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
reply to antimelih

kevin was here yesterday, posting in the thread about comodo certificates..

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

here ya go... just for you Dude

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_To_Go

K McAleavey
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Voorheesville, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit
reply to antimelih

Hey guys!

Yep, we're alive and well, version 9.0's been out since last summer and we're currently in internal alpha testing for our 9.1 release due out by summer. The reason why our forum is quiet is twofold, first of all, no problems with the 9.0 we released and that forum is there for our public beta testing cycles. Paying customers get email support (and the larger ones get phone support) just like the old BOClean days.

Forcing customers off to forums hoping someone else will give them dubious answers was never the way we rolled. We never ran a forum in our BOClean days for that very reason. We always preferred the personal touch with those who give us money and ensuring that their problems are actually fixed to their satisfaction. Some troubleshooting of weirdnesses also requires that we sometimes ask for specific logs and other information that people would consider a privacy issue. We wouldn't want any of that out in public, and one to one support where we could take time to explain details makes for happier customers.

But once we're out in public beta with 9.1, that forum will be busy again because it's useful for others to see what others are spotting in hopes of more coming forward prior to release saying, "hey ... me too ... what's with that?" Since the betas are expiring free versions and many didn't obtain their copies from us directly, that forum is useful in being freely accessible to anyone, and we can also take issues of privacy private through our support email as many have done before.

KNOS is delivered as an ISO file which can be burned to DVD, and from there can be installed onto a USB drive or hard drive since DVD's are slow as molasses. KNOS is built on BSD rather than Linux, and is unique. An entire "computer" all set up with nothing for the end user to do or worry about other than booting it and using it. Our primary business though is custom builds for specific usage to be distributed within an organization and thus we don't have a particularly wide public footprint. But we're alive and well and yes, there's an individual public version available.

For anyone curious, here's a link to a video which shows what KNOS comes with in our retail version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=10sccak193g

Best viewed in full screen HD so you can see the details ...

Our user manual (PDF) can be viewed here:

http://www.knosproject.com/KNOS9manual.pdf
--
Kevin McAleavey, now with the KNOS Project.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to dib22

Thank you for that link and THANK YOU for the vid Kevin!

pingayaonfri

@comcast.net
reply to K McAleavey

Hija, Pinga ya on Friday right after I posted this thread.
I used your Knosproject website contact thingy.

Cheers

antimelih

@comcast.net

Thanks, Just snagged a copy.

K McAleavey
Premium
Voorheesville, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

Thanks!

I think you'll be impressed, and we're here for ya any time you need. The more things change, the more we don't.
--
Kevin McAleavey, now with the KNOS Project.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

1 recommendation

I want BOCLEAN back.

K McAleavey
Premium
Voorheesville, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

said by ZZZZZZZ:

I want BOCLEAN back.

Wish it were possible. What happened to us after COMODO trashed BOClean as well as our customers is a very long, sad story. Too much to lay out here. Bottom line is that we could no longer afford to keep doing it, and rather than just fold up shop, we tried to find a bigger operation that would maintain it and could afford the bandwidth, all those updates and enough people to keep the lab going.

Instead, really bad things happened.
--
Kevin McAleavey, Co-founder, The KNOS Project.
"For folks who still need a reliable desktop machine in an age of consumption devices."

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

One of the reasons I've officially boycotted any product of Comodo.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to K McAleavey

Im sorry you went tru this Kevin.. You and Nancy are very kind and shouldnt have to go thru that!!!

Alot of times people are VERY JEALOUS of how good a product is and they try and cause problems which is what sounds like happend here...

I wonder if your original BOCLEAN program can still be found anywhere,do ya know buddy??

Anon3432434

@comcast.net
reply to Dude111

said by Dude111:

I have known Kevin since the 80s (I was on his BBS) -- He has had some excellent ideas over the years -- His Idea about loading his OS from a disk is ingenious! (Take the same OS whereever you go,no matter what OS is on the computer you can simply load his!!)

Uh, Kevin did not invent this idea.