jumpingryan

join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

1 edit

New Bell Construction

Click for full size
Click for full size
downloadBell Stinger···.kmz.zip 654,087 bytes  
Snapped a few pictures of some work being done to a bell installation near my place.... I am hoping this is an install of a DSL remote so service can be expanded to my neighbourhood (so I can finally get DSL)

Anybody know what this pad could be? (I added some more pictures of the other equipment in place)

Thanks

-------------

Edit 2 April 12:00PM:

Decided to update my post a little. Did some driving around to the areas I know this Easter Holiday, and made up a google earth file with pictures of each of the locations that I know of.

I know the Achray Road and Forest Lea Road installations are a few years old. Anybody able to tell by the pictures if they are the legacy stingers, or the new 7330's?

Thanks

R

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

This almost always means a remote is coming. Check back in a few weeks.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to jumpingryan

I'm surprised they're doing this when it's still cold out.

But yeah, a lot of this should be going on across the province this summer.

jumpingryan

Pembroke, ON
reply to BliZZardX

said by BliZZardX:

This almost always means a remote is coming. Check back in a few weeks.

The picture was taken 11 March, and as of this weekend it was still looking the same.

That is probably the most outstanding news I could get this year (from a guy who is stuck on turbo hub)! The only thing is really it isn't that close, but in my area any remote is good news.

As I drove the distance that my lines follow, it is 4.9 KM. Anybody know if I will be within DSL range?

From my understanding these remotes cost alot of money? Any idea on the cost?

------

As for the reply on the weather dont let the pictures fool you, just because the temperatures are up, we still do have alot of snow here to melt away! LOL But it is melting fast (which adds it's own problems to houses, downspouts and even underground wiring).

A concrete pad that small, with cold weather concrete curing additive could easily be done (and perhaps the curing blanket's were on it for a few days as concrete creates its own heat while curing).

Thanks for your replies! I hope I am not getting excited for nothing!

FiberToTheX
Premium
join:2013-03-14
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

I'm surprised they're doing this when it's still cold out.

But yeah, a lot of this should be going on across the province this summer.

They began deploying FTTH even during the winter months in 2012. We have reports dating back to March 2012 when the first FTTH Bell users were connected.

It all depends however on whether their roadmap still applies to finishing FTTN deployment to the GTA by 2015. It's an impressive goal but as it stands as of 2012 only 40% with FTTN qualify for VDSL2+ and 59% on FTTN qualify for ADSL2+.

The fact that there is two cabinets indicates one cabinet will be wired for FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) whereas the other will simply serve as a Junction Box. The question is whether that placeholder is for a 7330 Remote.

»community.bt.com/t5/image/server···-1&px=-1

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to jumpingryan

Wow almost 5km, at that distance you would be lucky to get ADSL2+. Hopefully they put something closer to you. You need to be under 500 meters for full rate VDSL2. I think Bell uses 750 meters as a general service cut-off point for Fibe TV.

jumpingryan

Pembroke, ON

said by BliZZardX:

At that distance you would be lucky to get ADSL2+. Hopefully they put something closer to you. You need to be under 500 meters for full rate VDSL2. I think Bell uses 750 meters as a general service cut-off point for Fibe TV.

I am actually not asking for much, just basic DSL. Even 2 mbps down and 512/k up would be good for me since we have nothing other than turbo hub/sat availability and it is really cramping our style with bandwidth worries and huge overage charges (even with two sim cards)

I discovered by chance that one of my neighbours has Bell DSL that is 3.5 KM right now from the pictures I posted above. I am 1.4 KM further down the same road.

Any DSL would be great for me, as I would just MLPPP two or 3 connections to boost speed up a little if I need to.

Ryan

SLAMtech

join:2009-12-03
kudos:1
reply to jumpingryan

Very well looks to be a 7330 going in. First box is a fibre fed box already for pots(could also be hdsl fed) and second box is a distribution OPI.

It also could be a FTTH CSP going in if any new development is going on.

One thing I must note that in the rurals the regular under 5km distance for DSL does not generally apply. The cable guage is lower and pushes the DSL further than normal. Seen a sub on a 7330 that was installed in the rural and he was just under 7km away and was receiving full adsl attainables 8128/928.

jumpingryan

Pembroke, ON

said by SLAMtech:

Very well looks to be a 7330 going in. First box is a fibre fed box already for pots(could also be hdsl fed) and second box is a distribution OPI.

It also could be a FTTH CSP going in if any new development is going on.

One thing I must note that in the rurals the regular under 5km distance for DSL does not generally apply. The cable guage is lower and pushes the DSL further than normal. Seen a sub on a 7330 that was installed in the rural and he was just under 7km away and was receiving full adsl attainables 8128/928.

I googled a 7330 and came up with 7330 ISAM that support VDSL and ADSL.

Within 2 KM is a subdivision with NRTCO fibre to the home, but typically NRTCO doesn't provide in the Petawawa area (but within about 30 minutes drive to places like Beachburg). NRTCO likely got in early with the contractor building the subdivision and wanted to stake their claim before Bell got in and got on their expansion.

Petawawa is Bell Canada/Cogeco everywhere else, but Cogeco seems not at all interested in expanding. However, there is alot of homebuilding/development in the area of the box (it is located on Black Bay and Doran Road in Petawawa).

Thanks for the good news on the line stats you mentioned for a rural install.... a solid 10/1 connection would be even better than we could imagine as compared to what we have now!

This is looking better and better!

Thanks again to all who replied!

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to FiberToTheX

said by FiberToTheX:

It all depends however on whether their roadmap still applies to finishing FTTN deployment to the GTA by 2015. It's an impressive goal but as it stands as of 2012 only 40% with FTTN qualify for VDSL2+ and 59% on FTTN qualify for ADSL2+.

The 2015 goal is for all of Ontario, not just the GTA. Bell is going to be going crazy with new deployments across the entire province this summer and will continue into next year.

Those percentages you quoted are also for Bell's entire footprint. The number of subscribers who qualify for some sort of VDSL or ADSL2 in FTTN-deployed areas is 100%. Those numbers also out of date, as the number of subscribers who only qualify for ADSL2 and not VDSL is something like 15%. VDSL2 has better long-range characteristics than ADSL2. The few remaining ADSL2-only areas are due to pending upgrades, not distance.

Mont

join:2006-05-02
Saint-Leonard, QC

Pair bonding and vectoring will also help to offer service on longer distances and at the same time give higher speeds.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Yup, that's going to happen fairly soon. I just can't recall if they're planning 75 or 90 as the top retail speed tier out of VDSL2.

FiberToTheX
Premium
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

said by FiberToTheX:

The 2015 goal is for all of Ontario, not just the GTA. Bell is going to be going crazy with new deployments across the entire province this summer and will continue into next year.

Those percentages you quoted are also for Bell's entire footprint. The number of subscribers who qualify for some sort of VDSL or ADSL2 in FTTN-deployed areas is 100%. Those numbers also out of date, as the number of subscribers who only qualify for ADSL2 and not VDSL is something like 15%. VDSL2 has better long-range characteristics than ADSL2. The few remaining ADSL2-only areas are due to pending upgrades, not distance.

Yes my numbers were for those with DSL service. It should have read the following "40% on DSL qualify for VDSL2+ while 59% on DSL qualify for ADS2L+ on FTTN"

When you mention new deployments are you referring strictly to new housing deployments or for existing areas and subdivisions. I'm asking this because I live in a relatively new subdivision and it has a JWI but with no remote's or FTTN cabinets and I'm wondering when they will deploy FTTN to my subdivisions. I'm actually not to far away from the JWI.

said by Gone:

Yup, that's going to happen fairly soon. I just can't recall if they're planning 75 or 90 as the top retail speed tier out of VDSL2.

The way I see it Vectoring DSL is simply an attempt to prolong DSL lifespan and capacity. However past Vectoring DSL I don't think it has much modernization capability or room so they would have to go FTTH. I believe the maximum with vectoring DSL they can top out at roughly 100Mbps but that's a rough figure. I know some European countries use VDSL2+ but the question is whether Vectoring is used in conjunction with their VDSL2+ deployments.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

I mean Bell is going to be deploying FTTN VDSL2 for Fibe TV to areas in Ontario that can't get anything more than legacy 6Mbit/s (if that) DSL right now or - rarely - ADSL2+. 2013 and 2014, according to their financial projections, is the year that they're going full-blown gung ho with wide-scale deployment of Fibe TV with the buildout to be finished for 2015. This summer is going to see Fibe TV show up in smaller and medium-sized centres. Right now Fibe TV is available to 2.8 million households. Their plan is to have that number at five million by 2015, which if I am to do some rough math would be around 90% of households.

FiberToTheX
Premium
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by Gone:

I mean Bell is going to be deploying FTTN VDSL2 for Fibe TV to areas in Ontario that can't get anything more than legacy 6Mbit/s (if that) DSL right now or - rarely - ADSL2+. 2013 and 2014, according to their financial projections, is the year that they're going full-blown gung ho with wide-scale deployment of Fibe TV with the buildout to be finished for 2015. This summer is going to see Fibe TV show up in smaller and medium-sized centres. Right now Fibe TV is available to 2.8 million households. Their plan is to have that number at five million by 2015, which if I am to do some rough math would be around 90% of households.

I live in Richmond Hill and while we have various Cable Internet plans in my area unfortunately the maximum we can get is Legacy DSL up to 5 according to the Bell Website and it isn't listed as Fibe Internet 5. If they are going to deploy VDSL2+ throughout 2013/2014 I would assume that they would come into my area and put in a 7330 Remote and FTTN Cabinet next to my JWI. It's a bit strange because my friend is in Newmarket and he has Fibe 25/10 through TekSavvy. Richmond Hill isn't exactly a small or medium-size centre either with 100,000+ Population.

However if I read correctly you would need to qualify for Fibe TV to have availability of Fibe 25/10 or Fibe 50/10 ?

Also any advice what to specifically look for when they are deploying Fibe TV and FTTN VDSL2+ in my area. I've noticed some Bell Manholes and Covers but no Remotes near them and no JWI's near them either.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

It's the other way around. You need to qualify for some form of VDSL2 to get Fibe TV. There are parts of Niagara Falls that can get VDSL2, but not (yet) Fibe TV. Everywhere that can get Fibe TV can get some form of VDSL2, though.

And yes, I would expect that the remaining parts of the GTA not yet covered will be covered, as well as all of the 400/401/QEW corridor communities. Not sure if places like Sarnia and Owen Sound are part of the plan though, as I believe they are functionally part of Bell Aliant even though all the services they receive are branded Bell Canada (someone can correct me if I'm wrong)

And yes, they'll either strapped a 7330 onto the OPI in your neighbourhood, or install one in a separate cabinet nearby.

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to jumpingryan

With the VDSL rollout in full force, what are Bell's long term plans for satellite TV?

I would imagine there will come a point where the number of non-Fibe TV subs will reach a number where it will no longer be worth their while to put new satellite's up.

Has there been any discussion fo this? Considering it would effectively kill receiver sharing as well, is this Bell's goal? I really have no idea, but I'm sure someone else does.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

I have no idea either, though I suspect Bell TV won't be going anywhere as not only is it Bell's only means to get their fingers into remote and rural areas of Central and Northern Ontario and Quebec that don't have anything but electricity and a party line (if they're lucky), but also the only way for them to do anything outside Ontario and Quebec without resorting to an LTE TV buildout (like Rogers is rumoured to be planning)

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC

1 edit

It seems the LTE TV would give Rogers the ability to offer TV in Quebec and other provinces.

As for the future speeds on FTTN it seem to be 70mbps and on FTTH 1 gpbs for 2013.

Here's a documents from Bell that tell's a lot of information on what bell plan's to do and what is the current state on FTTN and FTTH.

»www.bce.ca/assets/investors/Q4-2···ted2.pdf

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Heh, that document has a bit of contradictory information since Fibe TV is already available in all of those markets they claim will be "new" in 2013, unless they mean rollout was completed in 2012 and now they're fully online for new subscriber growth in 2013 which would make more sense, with the additional million households being other markets that will be "new" in 2014.

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
reply to Mont

That document is strangely silent on satellite TV.

I browsed through it and noticed a lot of talk about Fibe TV and triple play. Seems that's where the focus is.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Bell already showed their level of commitment to satellite when they leased the 73W DBS slot to the Americans. Bell TV isn't going to disappear and and they will most likely convert everything to MPEG4 for additional bandwidth, but they're not going to go crazy with it like Dishnet and DirecTV have in the US. They'll forcus their crazyness on Fibe TV instead.

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

unless they mean rollout was completed in 2012 and now they're fully online for new subscriber growth in 2013

I went to read the french documents and the way it's written seem more clear and seem to be exactly what you said.

Nimiq 5 at 72.5W was leased since it seem it was too low of elevation for Western Canada subscribers beside the money also they got a deal on equipment (dish,switches,receivers).

It's definitely not their priority but with both satellites being able to do MPEG 4 they have bandwith for a few years.

FiberToTheX
Premium
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

And yes, they'll either strapped a 7330 onto the OPI in your neighbourhood, or install one in a separate cabinet nearby.

How far away does one have to be or what is the maximum distance from the JWI or FTTC/FTTN Cabinet to qualify for VDSL2+?

The one I noticed is about a couple minutes drive maximum from me in my area. However there might be more in my area that I haven't noticed.

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to jumpingryan

Since bonding and vectoring keeps coming up just thought it's worth mentioning that the Stinger's Bell has deployed do not support bonding or vectoring at all. You need to be using a 7330 to get those features.

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC

Thanks for mentioning it , i forgot to say it was only for 7330.

joeybee
Joey
Premium
join:2003-08-12
Hamilton, ON
reply to jumpingryan

Does anyone know what the plans are for replacing the stingers with 7330s?

With Fibe tv they aren't able to offer the full 50mb on a stinger. They have set me to 45mb when the receiver is off though which is nice but would be better if the tv didn't restrict my internet.
--
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, Are the ones who do.

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC

Here in the area most JWI with a stinger got a 7330 installed in the last year or so but it's not activated yet.

They will problably transfer Fibe TV clients or those who want higher speed on it at some point.

FiberToTheX
Premium
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to joeybee

said by joeybee:

Does anyone know what the plans are for replacing the stingers with 7330s?

With Fibe tv they aren't able to offer the full 50mb on a stinger. They have set me to 45mb when the receiver is off though which is nice but would be better if the tv didn't restrict my internet.

I'm sure they will begin overhauling the Alcatel Stingers and replacing them with 7330's over the next 3-5 Years. However their priority would likely to be first to install 7330's in JWI's or area without Remotes and then overhaul the Stingers.

Eventually I can see the end-goal being towards FTTH within 15-30 Years half of Canada if not more will have FTTH. FTTN is always an interim step with potential towards FTTH transition.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Replace Canada with Ontario and Quebec. FTTH deployments are well underway in the Prairies, and almost complete in Atlantic Canada.