Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

I ordered a speed upgrade, it happened early

I was on Teksavvy 6M service at $35. I have been for years. I looked at the current offerings and saw that 15/1 is $33. SO I ordered. Last night I lost my DSL link. I called in, we went through the usual script of trouble shooting methods. They opened a ticket with Bell and this morning Bell fixed it. The tech said that I had been moved over already and he updated my profile.

I was supposed to be flipped on April 2. Teksavvy said that a tech has to come out and install a splitter for it to work. However, I did a speedtest and I am getting the speeds I should. I have the whole house split, only one jack has DSL going to it.

Do I still need them to do the splitter?
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

You don't need a pots splitter, but it's not a bad thing to have. Specifically when we ask to test at the demarc inside

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to donoreo

Bell forces them to pay to have the splitter installed. Doesn't matter if you already have one. It's just Bell's way of driving up competitor costs by forcing them to purchase installation services that aren't necessary.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to donoreo

As HeadSpinning said, you paid about 90$ for it. Take it.

Sell it for 10$

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

said by Shrug :

Sell it for 10$

$90? Not that I am aware of.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3

You paid for it so you should get it installed. I paid $90 when I got mine a couple of years ago but I think it's $50 now as part of a promotion.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

said by Shrug :

Sell it for 10$

$90? Not that I am aware of.

Bell charges 90 to go from 6/800 to anything faster.It includes a pots splitter and a "line conditioning". Line conditiong doesnt happen unless there are taps and they wont install a splitter if they dont think they need to

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

Tek is charging $50 for the change.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to andyb

said by andyb:

Bell charges 90 to go from 6/800 to anything faster.It includes a pots splitter and a "line conditioning". Line conditiong doesnt happen unless there are taps and they wont install a splitter if they dont think they need to

You may want to go check all the changes TekSavvy has made to their pricing models. The $95 install fee was reduced to $50 a week ago and announced about a month ago.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

Yes it was but bell still charges 90 whether TSI lowers that or not

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to andyb

said by andyb:

I can understand everything up to the DEMARC, but the POTS splitter should be the customer's responsibility (or their ISP can take care of it). It shouldn't be within Bell's scope of mandatory, cost inflating service charges.
--

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to donoreo

SO this is a forced thing from Bell? They want someone home Tuesday from 12-9. Not happening, my wife cannot be here the whole time. The demarc is outside.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3

In my case the Bell guy never showed up only the Telecon guy aftre 5:00. Since your is already running, you don't really need the guy. Leave him a note and ask him to leave the POTS splitter in the mailbox. It'll work fine with the filters though.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

SO this is a forced thing from Bell? They want someone home Tuesday from 12-9. Not happening, my wife cannot be here the whole time. The demarc is outside.

Yes - that'll be a Telcon guy under contract to Bell. Bell now wants to start charging missed appointment fees for the forced non optional install. Anything to make indie ISPs and their customer's lives more difficult and expensive.
--

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

I had the appointment rescheduled until April 12. I may reschedule that one too. And the one after that