share rss forum feed

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Texting and driving

said by IowaCowboy:

I personally think texting and driving or using any electronic device not permanently attached to the vehicle should be treated the same as drunk driving with jail time and license suspension.

The reason I say this is I lost a perfectly good car to a combination of alcohol and a cell phone (of course I was not the one at fault).

I say ban the use of all electronics not permanently attached to the car including hands free cell phones. What I mean by permanently attached is stuff like the car radio and climate controls. But I think cell phones, iPods, tablets, etc should be off limits while driving.

Being involved in an accident is no fun at all, especially when you're not at fault and you now have to take the bus because your car was totaled.

When you are driving, you should give 100 percent of your attention to the task of driving and zero attention to other things. If the phone rings, just let it go to voicemail, if you get a text just ignore it until you get to your destination.

Edit: And I forgot to mention that one of the passengers in the at fault vehicle was killed.

That makes no sense. So a car that has built in cellular, it's fine to use hands free talking, but a cellphone you can carry, it isn't fine to use Hand Free talking? The result is the same. Either allow both or neither.

And even a radio or a passenger can also be distracting to the driver.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
Some countries have banned using a cell phone (either handheld or hands-free) while driving outright. I think we should do the same here.

My mother is a grade school crossing guard and the worst drivers she sees are the ones using a cell phone. Now think if that was your child that got ran over because a driver was more concerned about talking to their client than the job of driving. My mother has had more than her fair share of near-misses with drivers and most were texting or talking on a cell phone. That is why I think using a cell phone should be treated as a criminal motor vehicle infraction with license suspension and jail time.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.