spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dukiebluedoc

join:2012-09-12

[CenturyTel] SLLOWWW in Cave Creek AZ

CL DSL, paying for the max speed avail in my area(1.5mbps) ,Speedtest shows 0.54 mbps download and 0.26 mbps upload.
I am using a Mac OS X.8.3, ActionTec PK5000 DSL router,do not know how to find the detailed info,but I do know that in 2010 the Speedtest showed 1.1 mbps download, so my speed used to be much faster. Anyone have any ideas?
TIA
Caroline

dukiebluedoc

anybody??

ript

@qwest.net

I have constant issues with Centurylink 'conditioning' my line for me, resulting in the slowest connection speed possible.

Call 1-877-348-9005, options 1, 1, 2. They can reset the connection speed for you.

Good luck!

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to dukiebluedoc

Hi dukiebluedoc,

There can be a number of things that cause your speeds to slow down. I would reset the modem first if you haven't done that so far. Check to make sure you have filters installed on any phone equipment in your home. Filters can go bad so I'd also check for any noise/static on your phone line. You can certainly contact our team at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com and we can help out, but we do also offer 24/7 tech support at 800-247-7285. Hopefully this will help out. Thank you.

Joey H
@CenturyLinkHelp Team
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com

dukiebluedoc

thanks for responses
1)we were told by CL tech on first install that there was a filter on the DSL line so we did not need any other filters on the phone line--could this be incorrect?
2)we are noticing intermittent loud static on the phone line lately--should this prompt a call to CL tech support?
Caroline

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7

1. That actually sounds like it's correct. With DSL installations, we typically do either a whole home filter (as called a splitter) at the NID (phone box on outside of home) or provide filters with a self install kit. The whole home filter makes it so that you don't need filters inside.

2. Yes, any noise or static is not good and I've seen many examples of when a customer's DSL line has issues, the line has bad noise and/or static.

Either way, I highly recommend you contact our company for assistance. Whether that's through calling in or emailing our team doesn't matter, I just want you to get help. Thanks.

- Joey

mikelatino

join:2013-04-11
Winter Park, FL

hi: i would disconnect the phone line from the modem. if you still have static on your phone, call voice repair .....good luck

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to dukiebluedoc

Have you moved the modem at all? if so that could be the issue.

You generally need a filter on any jack that the modem is not plugged into, and if you've moved the modem to a different jack then you're on the wrong side of the filter and that could cause the noise on the line/slow speeds.

Hopefully they get some fiber out your way though, with 1.5Mbps, i'd be screaming and going to Cox even though i absolutely hate them.

dukiebluedoc

Would love to have Cox internet,but they just laugh when I tell them where I live!
CL tech came out,tried a few things and left without improving the speed,but called me from the switch box down the road,informed me that a previous CL tech had,without informing me,throttled my bandwidth back to 1/3 of what I was paying for,commenting that my "line was too old for 1.5mbps".
As soon as yesterday's helpful tech changed the bandwidth back up to 1.5mbps, I began seeing 1.3 mbps download at home with no problems.
Lesson learned--I should have placed a trouble call months ago.
Thanks for all responses.
Caroline