kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

[WIN7] BSOD - I wonder what caused this

Click for full size
BlueScreenView showing BSOD and the other problem
Hi

I had a BSOD today (REGISTRY ERROR) while online, and a black screen the other day - I had to use the tower button to shut down. I used the BlueScreenView and have a ss of that. I also noticed that both incidents showed a PSHED.dll Platform Specific Hardware Error Driver
and showed mcupdate.dll (both in the bottom pane). I also noticed that everything in the bottom pane moved - I have no idea why.

Edit: I also noticed that both Top Entries have the following files highlighed in the bottom pane: ntoskrnl.exe and srv2.sys. The second entry also has win32k.sys highlighted.

When I reinstalled the OS recovery I used Add/remove to remove Mcafee and I also used the Macafee Removal tool, but I think I should probably use it again?

Can anyone tell from the BlueScreenView what caused this and If I can prevent it, or hopefully that they were isolated incidents?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2

srv2.sys & win32k.sys if I read the fuzzy picture right.

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA

Thank you. I noticed that too. Would you know if this is something that needs to be fixed and if so, how. Or if this might be an isolated incident?

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Libra

There is a hotfix for one of those bugs, but it is relevant to certain parameters.

First:
Can you uninstall McAfee (if you have the licence key) and do a clean up of the system, even using the McAfee removal tool - »service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.a···TS101331

Can you reproduce the BSOD without McAfee installed?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Hi norwegian

I had previously used add/remove to remove Mcafee and the Site Adviser and used the MCRP tool. I downloaded a new MCRP tool and ran it a few minutes ago - it said "removal complete" and I rebooted the computer.

I can't reproduce the BSOD - unless if I press the tower button to shut down improperly? I don't think that will give me a bsod, only the message that it was shut down improperly.

Should I wait to see if it happens again?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

techsup1983

join:2013-03-23
reply to Libra

Download and install whocrashed it will analyse the dump file and tell you more about what has caused it.
»www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
»www.resplendence.com/download/wh···etup.exe

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to Libra

See if you can produce the crashes without McAfee installed.
Forced power downs aren't really the same thing.

Also if you want, upload the dumps to here and someone might be able to look more at what happened.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

download032313-25958-01.zip 42,360 bytes
computer came out of hybernate with a black screen, so I used tower button
download032913-19858-01.zip 43,571 bytes
while browsing I got a BSOD
I can't really create the crash. I'm uploading the zipped minidump files now. Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

Download "Whocrashed" from majorgeeks.com download repository, and it will analyze the dump file in a easy to read format, that you can find out what is going on.

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to Libra

Initially, there doesn't appear to be more than what is listed.

REGISTRY_ERROR, 0x51
»msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library···85).aspx
•Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
•Scan your computer for computer viruses.
•Check your hard disk for errors.

APC_INDEX_MISMATCH, 0x01
»msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library···85).aspx
•Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
•Scan your computer for computer viruses.
•Check your hard disk for errors.
--

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Click for full size
Restored Windows Updates that I haven't installed
Hi Norwegian,

I just had Windows Update show all hidden updates. I don't want IE9 or IE10 and there is a Win 7 Platform update that gave some people problems. I think there is also a Windows Media Player update.

I don't know if it's listed since I haven't hidden it, but I also have an update for the Net Framework 4. Do I need that?

You will notice some drivers - one says it's for a Lenovo Think screen or something - my notebook is a Lenovo 3000 Essential G570, so I don't know if that Think if for my computer or not, even though Windows seems to. I think the logitech is for my mouse.

Do you think any of these have to be installed?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just had a problem that when I woke the computer at first my browser went online (so I could view an avast report), then when I tried to go online the browswer wouldn't fully load and nothing was responding. I did a hard shutdown. I looked at the event viewer and there was an error svchost.exe ProfSvc faulting module ntdll.dll and a ton of service control errors for schedule service, wuauserv, eaphost service, shellhwdetection and appinfo.

Since I did the hard shutdown, it seems okay.

I guess I'll run the antivirus. I just got a new harddrive - do I have to find that harddrive utility and run that?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra
Premium
USA

I just ran a full antivirus scan and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan and no problems found.

Sincerely,Libra

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Libra

Re: [WIN7] BSOD - ANOTHER BSOD

download042813-37455-01.zip 45,257 bytes
BSOD 4-28-13
I just got another BSOD called APC_INDEX_MISMATCH.

Could this have anything to do with Windows Update KB2840149? It seemed to have installed fine. Here is the mini-dump.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 edit

Sorry for not getting back to you.

All hardware drivers are best updated but preferably via the hardware manufacturer themselves.
Although I've noticed of recent times some of the laptops sold updating drivers outside of what is supplied in the recovery partition cause problems because the computer manufacturers do not do any more development on the drivers, only some though.
Intel should be fine but look at making a good back up image or restore point just in case and then go about updating all hardware including display drivers, just try 1 per day if you want to be more safe than sorry. That way if there is any issue you know which one it is.

I will or someone will look at that dump however APC_INDEX_MISMATCH should not be relative to that particular update off Microsoft recently, it was an update for ntfs.sys that sets rules and communication with your HDD, partition tables etc.

As you have already had an error with APC above, the links describes completing hardware driver updates.

As for the platform update in the up, if you will not be using IE10 you do not need it, but if you do update to IE10 you do.

The dump shows ntoskrnl.exe which is; due to the level it communicates at; relative to hardware and it's drivers.
Update drivers for hardware for the computer.
--

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Click for full size
optional drivers from Windows Updates
Hi norwegian,

Thanks for looking at this. I have what I think is a good backup when Windows was installed and I used disks and made an image with Windows.

I've been looking at my device manager and the Lenovo download site - I can't find some of this items listed at Lenovo in the device manager (like something from Intel re storage).

I did download an Intel Chipset Driver and a conexant audio driver.
Should I install the "optional" hardware items from Windows Updates?
I haven't installed anything yet.

I don't know if it is the same - I'm referring to the second items in the screenshot...I installed an Intel onboard graphics driver already.

I hope updating the bios isn't necessary - they do show that at Lenovo,

I also noticed on the blue screen view that McUpdate.dll is still listed even though I have used the McAfee Removal tool twice. :{

Thanks for letting me know this bsod has nothing to do with the latest security update for ntfs.sys

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
Outback

If I'm reading it right it was IASTOR.SYS that dumped as well. Maybe list the motherboard so we can check to see if there is an update at Intel for that board or use this tool:
»www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Click for full size
Intel Driver Utility Results
Click for full size
Intel Driver Utility Results - part 2
I had to install java to use that tool. Here are the screenshots, I didn't see anything about my motherboard. I saw an Intel System Identification Utility at that site.

I downloaded the Intel Graphics Driver (which according to my device manager is the intel onboard graphics driver.) According to that site I don't need to update the Intel Chipset.

The BlueScreen viewer only listed the IASTOR.SYS among the stack in the bottom pane. But I don't understand these things.

I will make a restore point, attempt to install that graphics driver and then remove java and the System Requirement Lab.

I'll wait to hear from you. Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Installing the new Intel Graphic Driver (which included an Intel Audio Display) went well. Then I uninstalled Java and the System Requirement Lab for Intel.

I noticed that Windows Updates has another optional update for the Lenovo Display Thinkpad Display 1366x768. My Lenovo Notebook is an Essential 3000 G570, not a thinkpad. There is nothing relating to a Thinkpad on the download page for the G570.

I have rebooted the computer a few times and taken it out of hybernation a couple of times and haven't gotten any more BSODs. I got this latest BSOD coming out of hybernation - after it showed "resuming Windows". Not much time has passed and this is probably wishful thinking, but could this BSOD be a fluke?

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
Outback

said by Libra:

I noticed that Windows Updates has another optional update for the Lenovo Display Thinkpad Display 1366x768. My Lenovo Notebook is an Essential 3000 G570, not a thinkpad.

It maybe because of the screen and drivers being the same across models.

Graphics drivers can display those ntoskrnl.sys errors so you may have helped reduce the BSOD's, but it still would be worth cross referencing the versions in your "Programs and Features" against Lenovo themselves.
That way if there is a screen driver update, it isn't risking a possible botched update from Windows.

--

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Hi norwegian,

My reply regarding your advice got lost Sorry.

Meanwhile, I copied everything from Programs and Features. I don't have a screen driver listed in either place. (Although when I updated the graphics driver it also updated a driver in sound and video (Intel Audio).)

This is what I found updates for:

• Intel Management engine
• Intel Rapid Storage
• Conexant audio
• Lenovo easy camera

The driver in the computer for Lenovo You Cam is newer than offered.

Intel SDK is listed in Control Panel, but I don't see it at lenovo site.

Same for Lenovo EE Boot Optimizer (which I'm thinking about removing.)

I'm hoping installing the latest Graphics Driver which was only released last month, might fix things.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
Outback

Fingers crossed it is all well and good now and you can move on.

Libra
Premium
USA

Thank you.

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Libra

Yet another BSOD!

download050913-21387-01.zip 34,658 bytes
mini-dump file

Click for full size
Bluescreen View 5/9/13
We just got another BSOD - This time REGISTRY ERROR which we had on 3/29/13 but the bluescreen view is saying it was caused by ntors somethingy, the same as the 4-28-13 BSOD (which BSOD had a different name APC_Index_Mismatch). This occurred when computer was on and switching user.

The only thing I have updated is the Intel Onboard Graphics Driver 9.17.10.3062 on 4/29/13 from the Intel site.

Here are the Bluescreen view and minidump. Too many bsods!

Any help is appreciated,

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Libra

Re: [WIN7] BSOD - I wonder what caused this

I did a check disk before. Here is the log:

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
Date: 5/9/2013 10:06:12 PM
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: OurLaptop
Description:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
176896 file records processed. File verification completed.
531 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 92 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
226480 index entries processed. Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
176896 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 326 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 326 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 326 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
24793 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
35995296 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

442304511 KB total disk space.
39949484 KB in 83073 files.
57788 KB in 24794 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
292691 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
402004548 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
110576127 total allocation units on disk.
100501137 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 b3 02 00 66 a5 01 00 24 2e 03 00 00 00 00 00 ....f...$.......
43 01 00 00 5c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C...\...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Does this give any information regarding this latest BSOD?

Also, the Lenovo site has an Intel Chipset update and a Bios update for this computer.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
Outback

Does this computer have onboard graphics or a card, as the manufacturer chipset driver maybe older than the Intel driver downloaded.
Can you check Programs And Features and check what is installed against the ones you see at Lenovo for versions please.

Bios maybe, but with the limited experience you seem to have I would avoid the bios update until at least you have the confidence to do the job. A power failure will leave you with a brick.
I'm not going to risk that to you right now.

The chkdsk report shows nothing unusual.
--

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Hi norwegian,

Thank you for looking at the chkdsk report.

I just checked the control panel again.

The Intel Onboard Graphics I just installed from the Intel site is version 9.17.10.3062. (very recently released)

The Intel Onboard Graphics at the Lenovo site is version 8,15.10.2342. So this is older. It it listed as the DISPLAY DRIVER.

The Lenovo site also has an Intel Chipset version 9.20.1019. I'm of the impression that is not the display driver.

I found a driver version in the Device Manager under System...Intel 6 series chipset family PCI Express Root 9.20.1015, and the SMBus under that I think is a different number (maybe 9.20.1011).

I don't know if these things are the same or not.

Listed in Control Panel and not on Lenovo site are: Intel Control Center 1.2.1.1007 and Intel SDK for Open CL CPU only ___ package 2.0.0.37149.

There are newer versions of Intel Rapid Storage and Intel Management at the Lenovo site.

I appreciate your thoughts about the bios. I have instructions on how to do it, but I'd be a wreck.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
Outback

Thank you for checking the versions. Considering you get BSOD's with ntoskrnl.exe which is communicating with hardware drivers your best option would be to install those updates with versions greater than you have installed.

They will create restore points but if you want to be extra careful goto: (With control panel set to icon view)
control panel|system|system protection|create a restore point right now for the drives that have system protection turned on|create

This you can label for your self on creation should you find any issues after installation.

To install, download packages, go offline(Internet), turn off the anti virus altogether or any other malware program running. Install driver update and reboot.
--

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I had a problem installing the Intel Chipset. It identified itself correctly but at the end it showed installing 9.20.1011 instead of 9.20.1019. It never asked for a restart of the computer either. Then the Program compatibility thingy came up saying it might not have installed correctly, so I told it to reinstall and to overwrite all the files. After about 35 minutes I rebooted the computer and it seemed okay but nothing was updated.

I thiink I'll try to remove Avast Anti-virus and install Microsoft Security Essentials and see if that helps this bsod problem.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Click for full size
Blue Screen View
download052113-19562-01.zip 38,097 bytes
Mini-dump file

I got yet another BSOD today taking the computer out of hibernate.
It said BAD_POOL_CALLER 0x0000051.

I'm attaching the mini-dump and Blue Screen view. I don't understand this - I have two other computers (Vista sp2 and Windows 7 64 bit) and haven't experienced all of these bsods!

The Blue Screen View showed AgileVpn.sys, lltdio.sys and ntoskrnl.sys highlighted in the lower pane.

I wonder if I should update the bios.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Libra

Last night I successfully updated the bios and did a Windows Memory test (it found no errors).

I also uninstalled the Lenovo boot optimizer since it hasn't shown boot time in a while and when I clicked on it I got a runtime error.

I hope updating the bios will fix these problems. Time will tell.

Sincerely, Libra