Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dealhunter
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Fremont, CA

[Connectivity] Linksys E2000 not working with Motorola SB6141

My old set up has a CM100 cable modem and a Linksys E2000 wifi router. Last week I upgraded my modem to a new motorola SB6141 to get higher speed. When I connected my laptop to the modem internet worked like a charm and I noticed higher speed. However, when I connected Linksys E2000 to SB6141 I could not connect to internet. The Linksys router is unable to get an IP address from the SB6141.. I tried all possible combinations of rebooting both cable modem and router but nothing worked.

Has anyone else run into the same problem? Has anyone been able to use any Linksys router with SB6141? What about other brands of routers?

Please share your experience.

Donut

join:2005-06-27
Romulus, MI

Re: [Connectivity] Linksys E2000 not working with Motorola SB614

1) Have you tried cloning the MAC address of you computer and seeing if that work?

2) Have you tried doing a reset of your router and resetting it back up?
--
Mr. Donut

dealhunter
Premium
Fremont, CA

I have tried resetting router/modem in all combinations. However, I haven't tried cloning MAC address and I will give it a shot.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by dealhunter:

I have tried resetting router/modem in all combinations. However, I haven't tried cloning MAC address and I will give it a shot.

That will probably fix your problem (if the MAC address that you clone is from the same interface on the same laptop you connected directly to the modem). Power cycling the modem and the router should also have worked (unless someone else on Comcast's network has already spoofed your router's built-in WAN MAC address).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Hatax

join:2001-02-14
Saint Paul, MN
reply to dealhunter

Just a good reboot procedure for cable modems with routers attached if you're having issues:

1.) Unplug both and let them sit for a few minutes, 3-5 should be more than enough.

2.) Plug in the router next and allow it to get booted up, this shouldn't take longer than a minute or two.

3.) Finally plug the cable modem back in and allow it to connect up. This might take as long as 2-3 minutes.

Once those steps are completed it should be set to go and have forgotten any MAC addresses that were previously being used. If there's any lingering issues a reboot of the router once more might be needed. And don't forget to restart anything that's connected to that router after this whole process, PCs, media devices, etc.

Takes a few minutes, but it helps get everything reset and perform a clean boot up.

dealhunter
Premium
Fremont, CA

Thanks everyone for your help. I cloned the MAC address of the PC that worked with the cable modem, and also rebooted both cable modem and router following instructions of "Hatax". Voila! my router can now get an IP address from the SB6141.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9
reply to Hatax

said by Hatax:

2.) Plug in the router next and allow it to get booted up, this shouldn't take longer than a minute or two.

3.) Finally plug the cable modem back in and allow it to connect up. This might take as long as 2-3 minutes.

FWIW, traditionally and typically, these two steps are actually reversed..

Hatax

join:2001-02-14
Saint Paul, MN

I agree with that, my reasoning for flipping those two around is to make sure that the router's MAC address is visible to the modem upon boot up. That should ensure that the modem has the MAC address to be used for the DHCP request (to the cable provider for the dynamic address).

Typically I would reboot them in reverse order from what's listed, but I've had the best success following them in that order with my last 10 years of cable internet. Pretty much all of those 10 years was on my 5100 that was retired a week ago, so perhaps the 6141 will respond differently...