Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Bought a Mac Mini, just one question.

I bought a Mac Mini off of eBay, it's not one with the Intel.
It will have 10.4 (it says fresh install, so not sure what else I need to do)...so basically I still have my original disks of Leopard from when I bought my MacBook in 2009 -- would I be able to use those disks to upgrade the system to 10.5.x?

This system will be mostly used for a HTPC type set-up, I'll either use Front Row or XMBC or Plex...
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Not usually. The OEM disks are usually system specific and will claim they can't be installed on the system you are trying to install them on. In your case your 2009 disks will be for Intel. You need PowerPC version of Leopard (if you want Leopard). Personally I would stick with Tiger.

Meanwhile G4 minis are woefully underpowered and only support 1GB of RAM. They choke with even simple flash so it will be pretty bad for HTPC.

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to J E F F

I agree, minimum I would use for HTPC is a 2.0Ghz Dual core.......even that thing can slow down, with heavy use......so I'd say an Intel 1.5Ghz would be an absolute minimum!!!!!!

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

In your case your 2009 disks will be for Intel. You need PowerPC version of Leopard (if you want Leopard).

There is no Intel or PowerPC version of leopard. That's why there was such a big change in the size with 10.6 (you get about 3-4gb back after the upgrade). However, you are right the OEM disks are designed for the model they shipped with and will prevent you from installing if you can even get it to boot to them.

TBH that system is probably not going to do what you are looking for. A 2nd gen apple tv would be a better option if you just want an HTPC for cheap. You can JB it and put xbmc on it pretty easy.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

3 edits

Actually there is. Discs that shipped with Intel machines only have the Intel build of Darwin 9. The retail boxed Leopard disc has both Intel and PPC builds ("Universal" build).

You get a lot back with Snow Leopard because by default, drivers were installed on demand (no longer were all the printer drivers installed for example...only after plugging in the device). With Leopard and earlier, tons of drivers and language support was installed by default even if those devices weren't present during install. If you check all the same boxes with SL that are installed by default with Leopard you end up with an install as big or bigger than Leopard.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to J E F F

I hope you didn't pay a lot for it, since it can't play any kind of HD content, so you're really limited to SD media...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to kerriskandie

It will be only playing movies, nothing more. I have an Apple TV for YouTube and Netflix and Hulu...but I need this for playing movie content, I can't imagine why it wouldn't do it. So as long as I can you Plex or something like that with my remote I should be fine. If not, I'll simply turn around and sell it...however, I've been watching movie since 1999 on old P1's so I can't see why the G4 couldn't handle it.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

I hope you didn't pay a lot for it, since it can't play any kind of HD content, so you're really limited to SD media...

It's all I want. HD content for the Apple TV, just regular movie content for the Mini. I paid $127....so not out that much.

It was either the MacMini or this:
»www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/···eIndex=1

I decided on the Mac Mini.... I would have liked to have had Leopard installed, but Tiger should be fine.
--

kerriskandie

Coram, NY
reply to J E F F

??
Why not sell the ATV..and the Mini and get a better spec Mini??
It'll do EVERYTHING an ATV can.....and so much more!!!!!!

A true All in one HTPC centre.....................!

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

My ATV3 might fetch $80 + $130 for Mac Mini, which is $210, a good spec Mac Mini will cost a lot more than that, my guess $350 used...just out of my budget for the amount of time I'll use it...

If this doesn't work, though, I'll save up for a better mac.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

You could use it to reencode movies for the ATV but then you need SL or later for the latest iTunes.

kerriskandie

Coram, NY
reply to J E F F

I recently sold a nice C2Duo 2.0 Ghz, early Intel, only fetched 285..........

Ran HTPC, 1080p (just) and played just about everything I threw at it...........

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Funny, it's really hit and miss when selling stuff, eh? But I wasn't prepared to get rid of the ATV3 for the Mini...both will have a purpose in the end...BTW: did you post it here or ebay or kijiji or something?
--

kerriskandie

Coram, NY
reply to J E F F

Ebay.......I was going to post it here, and just forgot....................

Thats where I picked up the i5 2.6 Gigger...mint condition

But also a slightly damaged i7 2.7Gigger MPB ( still a bargain, replaced the HD)

But a while back got burnt on an older C2Duo MBP that logic boarded out after only 2 months..................

Buyer beware............................

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

You can never tell with electronics. Speaking of logic boards, the first new laptop I ever bought, an HP, came with that standard 1 year warranty. About 2 years into ownership, there was an extended warranty added to all HP's due to a failing video board, extended to 3 years. At 30 months, lights out on the HP. They fixed it for free, obviously. But with electronics, damn, you just never know.

I would have been nice to buy a C2D, but my budget was under $150 with shipping, and the only reason why I'm doing this is because the current video player syncs off on some movies and or refuses to play certain formats. I was hoping the Mini will solve this issue....I'll get Perian for the unit.
--

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Doesn't this have to do more with the media server software?
--
Start Communications Forum