uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Another What is this crap?

I keep WU disabled. I enable it on Microsoft Tuesdays only (on when out of band security updates are issued) because Microsoft made it so, awhile back, that the installer will no longer work (even if you have downloaded patches to disk and install each one manually) unless you enable WU temporarly.

So, WU is disabled. I just noticed this in Event Viewer:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
Date: 3/29/2013 2:48:08 PM
Event ID: 17

Task Category: Automatic Updates
Level: Information
Keywords: Success,Download
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Smokey
Description:
Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. To install the updates, an administrator should log on to this computer and Windows will prompt with further instructions:
- Microsoft.Camera
- Microsoft.SkypeApp
- Microsoft.Reader
- microsoft.windowsphotos
- Microsoft.ZuneVideo
- DellInc.DellGettingStartedwithWindows8
Event Xml:

0x8000000000000014

System
Smokey

- Microsoft.Camera
- Microsoft.SkypeApp
- Microsoft.Reader
- microsoft.windowsphotos
- Microsoft.ZuneVideo
- DellInc.DellGettingStartedwithWindows8

Those apps were long ago UNINSTALLED. Plus, I disabled UAC in the Registry so I can't access any of those apps even if I had them installed. I run as Admin so what the heck does that mean an Admin should logon? Admin is always logged on and I haven't gotten anything from Windows about this crap wanting to install.

I want to know how WU Service got UNdisabled. That should be impossible. The only thing I can think of is that I did have My Dell Support Center (powered by PC-Doctor) running minimized in the systray yesterday when I got that event viewer notice. My dell Support Center is FAR better this version than any I have ever seen in the past on a Dell when I would immediately uninstall it. So, I had kept it, plus, there is no Dell Diag CD now for hardware tests..it is in this software instead. Nonetheless, I uninstalled it just now.

I enabled the WU service just now and started it and opened WU. It says the last time any activity was at WU was back in Feb. So, what does this event viewer message mean? Are these apps waiting HIDDEN SOMEWHERE until I reboot and then I won't be able to stop them installing?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
This is the windows 8 machine yes?

Those look like "windows store" apps... on my windows 8 WU never updates "windows store"... I have to launch the store and have them update there... I wonder if its just queuing the updates for the windows store using the WU subsystem?

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
Yes, this is my Win 8 computer.

I rebooted just now and there were no updates installed and no messages.

I uninstalled all the Metro apps a couple of months ago. So, that Event Viewer entry is a puzzle.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson