Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

3 edits

[OS-X vs. BlueRay & USB 3.0] Apple does not support BlueRay?

I was shopping around for a good DVD-RW drive WITH USB 3.0, since there are a few (now, finally) and the MBPr supports USB 3.0.

Now to be sure, BlueRay is a nice feature. But not necessary.

• However, USB 3.0 connectivity IS highly desired. Yessir.

Yet many posters »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···FullInfo are having trouble with their Rosewill RDED-12001 »www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413567,00.asp on/with OS-X.

The posters further complain of the obsolete version (v.10) of Cyberlink sw shipped with the drive, when the current is PowerDVD v.12.

• But the most surprising issue was the claim that Apple does NOT support BlueRay.

However, another poster writes that he was told directly by Rosewill tech-support that Apple has released a "patch" to enable BlueRay for OS-X. ~ Now I am completely confused!

It would make no sense at all for Apple to issue the Retina Display as a highly promoted product feature withOUT BlueRay support.
That sounds like an impossible blunder for a company supposedly as tech-saavy as Apple to make.
Finally, I suppose this is a futile question. But I'll ask nicely to be certain.

• If it is indeed true that Apple does not support BlueRay, can Windows 7/8 running under Parallels on Apple hardware have any chance to make BlueRay work?

• SUMMARY: This post began with looking for a good external ODD to go with/for a proposed MBPr. ~ But if OS-X does not support BlueRay, then the MBPr purchase must be reevaluated itself!

To all who respond, thank you so much for helping a n00bish bird who smells vaguely of fish.
--
Oh, I love the smell of fish. Guts, rotten, it's all good.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit

This according to OWC, a well-regarded, reputable Mac accessory dealer, where they offer a BR reader/DVD writer which sells for just under $70: »eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MRSSBD6X/

Although commercial Blu-ray movie playback not supported in OS X, Blu-ray discs do mount on the desktop and can be backed up to the computer or played via third party software options.
»blog.macsales.com/10779-blu-ray-···-owc-yes
»blog.macsales.com/12010-play-blu···em-first

As far as any potential speed loss with a USB 2.0 optical drive versus 3.0, I don't suspect it's nearly as critical as in an external hard drive. These links seem to verify that: »discussions.apple.com/thread/458···tstart=0
»forums.anandtech.com/showthread.···=2276776
»store.apple.com/us/question/answ···KYYJKA9A

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

The Meadow

said by sfogliatelle:

This according to OWC, a well-regarded, reputable Mac accessory dealer, where they offer a BR reader/DVD writer which sells for just under $70: »eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MRSSBD6X/

A shame that it is not USB 3.0
said by sfogliatelle:

Although commercial Blu-ray movie playback not supported in OS X, Blu-ray discs do mount on the desktop and can be backed up to the computer or played via third party software options.
»blog.macsales.com/10779-blu-ray-···-owc-yes
»blog.macsales.com/12010-play-blu···em-first

That MacGo sw looks pretty nice! ~ Great link. Thank you
said by sfogliatelle:

As far as any potential speed loss with a USB 2.0 optical drive versus 3.0, I don't suspect it's nearly as critical as in an external hard drive. These links seem to verify that: »discussions.apple.com/thread/458···tstart=0
»forums.anandtech.com/showthread.···=2276776
»store.apple.com/us/question/answ···KYYJKA9A

Oh, the idea here is to find a good drive that can read BlueRay (not write), R/W the rest, AND has USB 3.0.

I've suffered with incompatibility in connecting hardware before and want to make this the last ODD that I buy for this Mac.

Finally, yes we agree. The issue would be even worse with an external hard disc.
--

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

If it's a BR writer that you're looking for, OWC also happens to offer them as well.

From what I'd read from the provided links, when it comes to a disc writer/reader there's no need for the latest version of USB.

Point being that many have to come to rely and trust OWC and its products. Just because Apple's official policy is to omit BR from its' lineup is no reason to presume one can't view a BR disc on a Mac should one choose.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

OWC is pretty much as overpriced as apple. I upgraded my superdrive to a ssd on my old plastic macbook with a hdd caddy off ebay, and instead of owc ram, my ram on my 27" imac and white plastic macbook is all generic ddr3 laptop ram from newegg, lowest price stuff. Works perfectly.

All you need is a bluray driver and a bluray player...

»www.macblurayplayer.com/how-to-p···-mac.htm

Windows doesn't play blurays out of the box either. The main difference is that windows OEMs box in bluray players and drivers.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Metatron2008:

Windows doesn't play blurays out of the box either. The main difference is that windows OEMs box in bluray players and drivers.

Right, but Windows has the support for the DRM that is required to play BluRays via a number of commercial software options...

OS X has never had that capability in the OS, or its drivers.

I wonder how this Mac BluRay player works... it must be some skullduggery or emulation...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Lazarus Long

join:2000-11-24
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Ugly

I am using the Samsung SE-506 external BD drive and MacGo Blu Ray player. Works nicely.
--
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to HiVolt

FYI, Microsoft doesn't support Blu-Ray either. You need a commercial app to play the movies. So what's the difference here?

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

The Meadow

said by rugby:

FYI, Microsoft doesn't support Blu-Ray either. You need a commercial app to play the movies. So what's the difference here?

Even the vaunted new Windowz 8? ~ STILL no BlueRay?
--

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to rugby

said by rugby:

Like I said before, the difference is that Windows supports the DRM required by Bluray to play the movies thru 3rd party software...

Nobody would really bitch if Apple would have at least supported the DRM in the OS & its drivers so people just could use external drives and i'm sure there would be plenty of commercial bluray players out there like there are for Windows.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1
reply to HiVolt

I remember when that MacGo software originally came out. It does the decryption of the Blu Ray via the cloud so you need an internet connection just to view any blu ray.

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
reply to Ugly

will not work via parallels or vm fusion, only works via bootcamp.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Ugly

You do know they make portable Blu-Ray players right,.....?

Run you maybe ~$200 to ~$250 USD or so,....

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

The Meadow

Yeah. That is the thread-topic you see. Yes, exactly.

The idea is to make use of that great Retina screen.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

said by Ugly:

Yeah. That is the thread-topic you see. Yes, exactly.

The idea is to make use of that great Retina screen.

There is a disconnect in the logic that Blu-Ray is somehow well suited to Retina with any degree of specificity.

A 13" Mac Book Pro with Retina has a resolution of 2560x1600 and a 15" Mac Book Pro with Retina has a resolution of 2880x1800,......

Any Blu-Ray disc should top out at 1920x1080.

This is not making "use of that great Retina display" as you put it. Movies won't look better because the Retina display is of a higher resolution.

There are any number of reasons to get a Mac. I don't personally see this as a good reason at least not the way you're describing it.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

The Meadow

OK. We agree then. You sound right to me.

I STILL want to have all-platform, all-technology functionality on a new puter that may cost $4k+!

The idea that one has to have more than one player for different types of data/media discs is an inefficiency that one reasonably wishes to avoid, if at all possible.

Finally, spending $200 - $250 for a player that is not supported by the puter itself does sound just plain silly.

This is not to disparage the MacGo sw, but to ask myself, "What is the benefit of Apple over Windowz?"

(Please do not respond to a question that I've asked only of myself and only in the rhetorical sense)
--

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to Ugly

Why not rip the blu-ray via makemkv or something like that?

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

The Meadow

said by rugby:

Why not rip the blu-ray via makemkv or something like that?

Yes, the point of having support for BlueRay and USB 3.0. I think we agree.

So one seeks a puter that does two things: 1. Supports BlueRay functionality in an attached ODD and 2. Has USB 3.0 for said drive.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Ugly

I think the problem with just ripping is that the industry doesn't want anyone to do this and they show no signs of deviating when it comes to trying to make this process difficult.

Buying a Mac is perfect for people who just want things to work and ripping isn't likely going to be a process that "just works". There will always be some new monkeywrench tossed in. Playback could be an issue from time to time as well as new countermeasures are implemented.

BTW, I bought an early LG 5.25" internal Blu-Ray burner when they first came out. It cost about ~$300 then and is also able to read the now defunct HDDVD. I eventually installed it in an external USB 2.0 enclosure which works fine.

My point in bringing this up is that I can assure you that USB 3.0 is as unnecessary for Blu-Ray playback as the overkill Retina display.