Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bulletsam

join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

Signal Stats Codewords

I've noticed something new over the last month, my Unerrored Codewords are constantly climbing even after I reboot my modem.

The Correctable Codewords will jump to 1, or 2 every once and awhile, but a reboot clears them up.

Also, the Uncorrectable Codewords seem to stay around what is shown, although I have seen 1500+ readings from time to time, but again, a quick reboot will bring them back down.

What would make the Unerrored Codewords climb? could it be a router setting, or?

Thanks!

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:122
Over time signal issues, outages, and things like that can cause errors to occur. What I'm wondering is if when you reboot if it just clears the error count and then it adds up between reboots. Depending on the frequency of these errors there might be an issue.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to bulletsam
Given the ratio shown of unerrored and uncorrectable, you are fine. That capture the modem has been on for some time and passed a good ammount of traffic.

These are based on errors in transmission between the modem and CMTS, so mediacom's side. Your router won't effect them. Having a bad SNR or bad signal is usually a culprit, but you are not showing any problems. If the correctable/uncorrectable counts jump up in closer proximity to unerrored, then you have a problem.

bulletsam

Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to bulletsam
What I'm seeing right after reboot is a 6 digit number in the Total Unerrored Codewords, and as you can see it shows 10 digits. This pic was taken about 5 hours after a fresh reboot.

I've just never noticed it climb that quick before.

alarson83

join:2007-01-06
West Des Moines, IA
I would guess you wouldnt worry about "unerrored codewords" as by definition they are codewords that had no error.

I would assume itd only be something to worry about if your uncorrectable codewords were the ones climbing quickly.

bulletsam

Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by alarson83:

I would guess you wouldnt worry about "unerrored codewords" as by definition they are codewords that had no error.

I would assume itd only be something to worry about if your uncorrectable codewords were the ones climbing quickly.

That's been my understanding also after reading a bit about it some time back. My main concern was what would cause it (Unerrored Codewords) to climb so quick, when it hadn't before.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:20
Unerrored Codewords are just traffic seen by the modem. It's "packets" on the cable system.

If you want to know more, read here:
»volpefirm.com/tag/codewo ··· -errors/