uniqs
share rss forum feed

wchillman

join:2011-11-20
Gig Harbor, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Bill] Performance Starter $$$$

So, we have Comcast’s Performance Starter with an advertised speed of 6 down and 1 up. This is the only service we have through Comcast: no cable TV or phone. The speed is sufficient to stream Netflix, Vudu, and Youtube in 1080p. Youtube will buffer occasionally as will some other channels we watch through the Roku 2 but Netflix and Vudu are near perfect. The issue I have is not with the service but with the price. We live in the Pacific Northwest and pay $49.95 per month for this slow of an internet speed. Does anybody else in this forum only have Performance Starter and, if so, what do you pay?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

I don't have it but that is the correct price.
That tier (invented as part of some FCC deal) is grandfathered. you should check and see if other speeds are now available is you may be able to get higher speeds(if available) for a lower (promo) price.
I'd be surprised if that was the best deal in Gig harbor unless you are far out OR part of a recently acquired small system that hasn't been upgraded.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to wchillman

Click for full size
I have never understood the Performance Starter Tier 6/1 being offered for the same price as Performance 12/2. Seriously look online at your offerings and you should see "Performance" 12/2 or even its upgrade speeds for the same or about the same as Performance Starter.

*Note the offerings in my area.

*Edit: Looking at the fact that HSI is the only service you have, maybe Performance Starter is a tier that is not price dependent on whether or not you have another service. So, $49.95 would be the price with or without another service where as with Performance you would pay more for stand alone than what I posted.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to wchillman

Bah, you noticed the fine print. I can't say I know the price of Performance unbundled.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to wchillman

In my area (not far from the OP) current users can signup for the Blast!Plus promo for $44.95 for 6 months which is 50/10+ with digital starter(a lot of channels) CATV and HBO thrown in.
Even if you don't have a TV, its worth it for the blast!

they also have the same package at a higher monthly price ($69????) but it lasts 2 years.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

I wanted that tier myself, but a rep argued with me that I didn't qualify for it because at the time I was on a triple play. I had Performance with this triple play. I'm not sure of what the qualification structure is. Now, I could see the OP qualifying because it is definitely an upgrade. You never know how the rep will spin that offer.

ImDonly1

join:2005-09-03

1 edit
reply to wchillman

$50 for that is a rip-off.

Regular Performance (15/2 and soon 25/4) is ~$60 without any bundles or promo.

I have been on a promo for 2 years now ($30 first year, $45/mo for second year). Everytime a promo runs out I register the service under a family members name to get a new promo or call and ask for a new promo.

Even DSL can offer the same speeds and 1/2 the cost. I would dump Comcast ASAP if I was paying $50 for 6/1 performance starter.

Look at this thread
»www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1103829/
It is older, but new replies are at the end. I believe the number in the first post still works. It is for new customers only (I think). So you would have to cancel service and sign up again under a different family member's name possibly. Or just call and see what they say.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to Johkal

(topic move) Comcast tiers/prices, how do you know?

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 10 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »Comcast tiers/prices, how do you know?

dbl2010

join:2007-10-02
Freedom, PA
reply to wchillman

Re: [Bill] Performance Starter $$$$

OP, I am in the same boat.

I also have Performance Starter and I am not in a promotion period. I am paying $49.95 as well. I don't have any TV subscription.

I agree the price/speed is high if you compare to other plans but it is cheaper at the end when you pay your bill. As long as you don't have any problems due to speed, upgrading will be waste of money although I understand that price/speed ratio is bothering. If you are ok with the speed, upgrading at this point will not improve your usage experience (you will just not utilize the extra bandwidth you got) but it will increase your bill for sure.

wchillman

Gig Harbor, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Thanks to everybody who weighed-in on this one. I agree with you, dbl2010. I have noticed on this forum that it is very common for Comcast customers to believe that “more is better” but the idea of “good enough” is not discussed. The Performance Starter is more than adequate for the cord-cutter. Plus there are no taxes, surcharges, or fees and no modem rental since I bought mine a while back. We are a single-stream household with a hardwired Roku and use about 180 GB per month and watch a boatload of TV. My laptop is not blazingly fast but it is “good enough”. My Wi-Fi cell phones work fine too. I just wished there was some competition as the price borders on extortion.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

said by wchillman:

The Performance Starter is more than adequate for the cord-cutter.

If you are in that realm of basic, then you should be aware that Performance starter isn't the lowest tier. There are 2 lower tiers:

•Economy: 1500 kbps / 384 kbps

•Economy Plus: 3000 kbps / 768 kbps

If you want to save more dough, check into those.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

wchillman

Gig Harbor, WA

Thank you. I don't think that either of those can stream Netflix and Vudu in 1080p but since I've never tried it I don't know for sure.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

From Netflix:

»support.netflix.com/en/node/306

Internet Connection Speed Recommendations

Below are the internet speed requirements and recommendations for playing movies and TV shows on the Netflix website. Get in touch with your Internet Service Provider for more information about your bandwidth.

*Note: Internet speeds listed represent Download speeds.

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for DVD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
7.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for Super HD quality
12 Megabits per second - Recommended for 3D quality

HD Video Quality

Movies and TV shows we have available in high definition will play in 720p or better with a fast enough internet connection.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

Clu

@comcast.net
reply to wchillman

I'm paying $19.99 a month for Performance 25Mb/5Mb for six months, and then $34.99 after that. I called this number (1-877-298-0903) for a promotion. I came off a promotion a few days ago, paid my final bill, and waited for the internet to shut off. Then I called that number and got a new promotion (they don't care if you've recently been a Comcast subscriber). I own my modem, so all I needed was the new account number and the phone number linked to that account, and I was up and running. Just make sure you chat with an online rep afterwards, and keep a transcript of that record in case they renege on the promotion.