how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Who cares?

They can security test the equipment if they're that paranoid about it.

rconaway8

join:2005-11-10
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits
Actually you can't unless you want to decompile the code on every single chip with an electron microscope. That's just not realistic.

The problem is that there is no moral foundation in that country and the government hasn't enforced anything resembling copyright infringement. Look at all the hassles Ubiquiti went through. The Japanese did the same thing to us in the 80's. The stole every design that Catepillar came up with to start and then targeted our technical industries using predatory practices until they wiped out our retail electronics industry. China makes them look like clueless pickpockets. They are organized, ruthless, and much smarter. That makes them so very, very dangerous. When they start running short of resources, then they will be looking at us as a matter of survival. They are already threatening every Asian country around them militarily. The String of Pearls theory won't be complete until they get to the U.S. It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you .

BiggA

EARTH
I was thinking just about the devices committing espionage, not intellectual property crap. It shouldn't be that hard to test and see if they are somehow "phoning home".

rconaway8

Phoenix, AZ
reply to BiggA
So am I. Any payload on the backside is dangerous. Look at what Stuxnet did to a bunch of nuclear centrifuges.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to BiggA
They probably aren't phoning home but perhaps they have code that can remotely enable them to when needed. Or maybe they never will. Once they get their back-end hardware placed everywhere in ten years they could listen to every call or text being sent. Similar to what the US does. However, they wouldn't use the power with such restraint. Not to say that the US does all the time but consider China with no people to hold their officials accountable they could run wild.

5th
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

Nobbie16

join:2000-09-28
Jersey City, NJ
reply to rconaway8
It's like the guy going to bed every night saying that it will rain the following day. After many days of no rain it suddenly rains and he jumps in glee and says, "You see, I told you, I told you!" That my friends doesn't mean he knows a damn about weather forecasting.They can be out to get you and yet you can still be paranoid. Being paranoid doesn't mean you know. You're putting the cart before the horse there buddy. Play on words and the mind. Kinda like, which comes first the chicken or the egg?

rconaway8

Phoenix, AZ
Nobbie16, I suggest that you join Infraguard and sit it on some of the Homeland Security briefings and security seminars. Janet Napolitano is clueless but the departments under her know the real story. ZTE and Hauwei are only the tip of the iceberg. Any guesses why the government doesn't buy Lenovo any more? The NSA has also found backdoors in Kapersky and Cybersitter as other more lower profile examples. But hardware is the worst and hardest to find these issues. And Hauwei has helped not only the military, they help civilian contractors steal bids worldwide, some of them for surprisingly few dollars for the sizes of the contracts, based on stolen data.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to BiggA
It's hard for me to believe that wouldn't be picked up quickly by firewalls.