spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

themafia_69

join:2003-08-04

[Internet] Using a dsl filter?

Hey guys and gals, I was wondering if I could use a filter/splitter on the fibe dsl. I want to have a phone in the same location as my fibe modem. The technician that installed the connection told me it's better to put the phone in another socket. The other sockets are in different rooms and I don't really want to run a long wire through the house. What do you think is the best solution?

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Do you have any slack on the phone cable that was installed? If you do you can get a double phone jack and than use one jack for your modem and one for your phone but you will need to do some small rewiring.

If you split the signal at your phone jack and it causes issues with your internet and you call Bell you might be charged a repair fee if they send a tech out.

themafia_69

join:2003-08-04

Not sure what you mean if I have any slack on the phone cable. It's in the jack on the wall and goes to the modem.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to themafia_69

Yeah get a splitter/filter, should be fine. If it causes problem then you know you need to some some wiring... he probably installed a pots splitting... so your kinda defeating the work he did.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

You will also possibly strip out Call display By Double filtering the Phone. Ideally what u want to do is Call Bell for a Modem move. and then explain this issue to the tech who comes. Its a Simple job the original tech should have put up a Double Port jack one for phone one for the modem in the same location Unless he was limited by Faulty wiring.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

ruggs

join:2012-03-26
Ontario
reply to themafia_69

I was told that on VDSL the inline filters don't work...

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by ruggs:

I was told that on VDSL the inline filters don't work...

The inline filters can cause echo on the line which affects the VDSL signal but if the inline filter can filter out frequencies up to 17MHz it will work with the current VDSL offering.
--
Opinions expressed are my own, and may or may not reflect those of my employers or any other BCE company or division.

snailspace

join:2000-11-27
Montevallo, AL
reply to themafia_69

Why not use a cordless phone?