fatmanskinny
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Digital ..

[Help] Toyota Camry 2001: Changed oil, now car won't shift gears

I just changed the oil in my 2001 Toyota Camry. I also checked the air filter which was a little dirty and had some debris (leaves) in the air filter holder. I blew it out and reinstalled the air filter.

Now, my car won't shift into gears. Even if I go into Reverse or Drive, it won't move but the engine is running. Any thoughts on what I can check?

This is my first time changing my own oil after watching a YouTube video. It looked pretty straight forward.
--
A citizen of The United States of Amnesia. How quickly we forget.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

1 recommendation

Re: [Help] Toyota Camry 2001: Changed oil, now car won't shift g

Maybe you drained the transaxle fluid instead of the engine oil.

fatmanskinny
Premium
Wandering
ROFLMAO! You are right. Newbie mistake. However, on the bright side, I now know how to change my transmission fluid. Lol!!
--

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to shdesigns
That can certainly do it....

Wonder how much oil is in the engine now.

fatmanskinny
Premium
Wandering
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Digital ..
A little over full as I went an extra thousand miles. Well, I have some tasks ahead....add transmission fluid and drain the old/new oil and add new oil.
--

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to fatmanskinny
said by fatmanskinny:

ROFLMAO! You are right. Newbie mistake. However, on the bright side, I now know how to change my transmission fluid. Lol!!

Maybe only part of it. With some vehicles, you also supposed to drain the torque converter and get the oil out of the cooler, too. But usually that's not a big deal, and the old fluid can be left there.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to fatmanskinny
said by fatmanskinny:

Make double sure when you change the oil filter that you don't accidentally leave the old oil filter gasket on the engine block as that will make two gaskets that when compressed together don't seal and instead blow oil all over the engine requiring you to start all over again after cleaning up the mess. Then you will end up removing the new filter in order to remove the old gasket that is stuck to the engine. That's why you should coat the new gasket rubber with a film of fresh/clean oil before installing the new oil filter so that it has less of a chance of sticking later on when you remove the filter the next time.

Hope this helps.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?